Parking lots and the elderly

aprimiano

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in a parking lot looking for a space and out of the corner of my eye I saw something coming at me. Turns out it was a little car backing into me and I had to lay the bike down at the last second. The elderly guy admitted he was only using his driver's side mirror. Fortunately his insurance is going to pay and nobody got hurt.

Lesson I learned: Be aware of those little cars that hide behind the bigger ones, and don't assume they will actually look behind to see where they're backing up.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
a guy on the "other" website said it best, when you are in a parking lot your head should look like a sprinkler...... glad you made it out ok.

aprimiano

Reaction score
Visit site
a guy on the "other" website said it best, when you are in a parking lot your head should look like a sprinkler...... glad you made it out ok.

That's a great way to think about it or you end up with one of these...

swivel.jpg

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
not just dangerous with bikes they dont see cars or even trains a guy a few years ago here where i live drove into the side of a train.......

aprimiano

Reaction score
Visit site
not just dangerous with bikes they dont see cars or even trains a guy a few years ago here where i live drove into the side of a train.......

I have nothing against old folks, but maybe they should have to get their eyes checked or have another driver test after a certain age.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I was in a parking lot looking for a space and out of the corner of my eye I saw something coming at me. Turns out it was a little car backing into me and I had to lay the bike down at the last second. The elderly guy admitted he was only using his driver's side mirror. Fortunately his insurance is going to pay and nobody got hurt.

Lesson I learned: Be aware of those little cars that hide behind the bigger ones, and don't assume they will actually look behind to see where they're backing up.

Thats when an upgraded horn louder than the stock one will come in handy, even if the elderly don't have hearing aids. Not sure if you had time to use the horn, but if you had a second or two, it could have saved ya.

D

Deleted member 2349

I drive trucks and i was talking to another guy that used to drive cross country. He told me that you can actually call the cops and give a plate of elderly folks that are driving inaproprietly and they have to be investigated. If they have set number of investigations they get revoked. I have yet to try this, but if it is true I am sure more people would call on the more dangerous situations. Here in NY all you have to do is get any doctor to give an eye exam and you can mail it in to renew(along with $$). So there is very little done about aging minds/reaction times.

damnpoor

Reaction score
Visit site
I drive trucks and i was talking to another guy that used to drive cross country. He told me that you can actually call the cops and give a plate of elderly folks that are driving inaproprietly and they have to be investigated. If they have set number of investigations they get revoked.

There should be a non-emergency number for the cops where you can report that stuff. In Cali you can call 1-800-TELL-CHP. They ask for the county you're in and what the problem is, then if there's a cop available nearby they'll send him out to see what's up.

aprimiano

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats when an upgraded horn louder than the stock one will come in handy, even if the elderly don't have hearing aids. Not sure if you had time to use the horn, but if you had a second or two, it could have saved ya.

There was no time but it definitely would have come in handy after I got hit... the guy's car just stayed there pinning the bike. Finally he moved forward after I approached his window. What's unbelievable to me is he said he thought he ran over a soda can.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There was no time but it definitely would have come in handy after I got hit... the guy's car just stayed there pinning the bike. Finally he moved forward after I approached his window. What's unbelievable to me is he said he thought he ran over a soda can.

The horn is the most basic and easiest defensive tool available to a rider. It's a shame how many riders don't use it.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice to hear you are ok.

Most riders forget to use their horn...how about you??

Its not a critisism, its just a fact.

Steve