Fuel Tank Removal or Tilt

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
Would any of you who have either removed the tank or tilted it wayyyyy back give me some details and insight on how to do this successfully? I've searched the posts and haven't found any that have the details I'm looking for.

I don't need to fully remove my fuel tank but do need to tilt it back as far as possible. Right now I can tilt it back about 30 degrees and then some of the hoses begin to pull. I've never disconnected the fuel lines and would like to know some details on how to properly do this without draining my tank, spilling my 5 gallons on the ground, or bursting into flames myself :thumbup:

Reason for this: I need room to repair a bunch of wiring that is directly below the tank.

Thanks!
Jake

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
some of those hoses are just drains (that exit near the center stand) pull up some slack on them and tie the tank back to the handrails. that should give you enough room.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Once you unbolt your tank and you are ready to lift it, just disconnect all wiring (very easy, just unplug and plug it back with matching color ends) they use a small bungee cord, click it tank and your seat, and that’s it. It is stable enough to hold the tank in upright position.

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys, I'll probably do this over the weekend. It sounds I shouldn't have to actually disconnec the fuel lines in order to full tilt the tank back.

Anyone else have words of wisdom please post up. The more info I can get the less likely I'll break something lol.

Thanks!
Jake

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I would add to watch the tank to frame clearance at the hinge once the tank reaches it's limit. The tanks movement is limited by the tank hitting the hinge plate. Might want to stuff a cloth or pad here to keep pressure off the contact points.

Matthew

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I cannot imagine why you need to remove it.

I always tip it bact and wedge it with a length of wood.

I also block one of the pipes under the bike because it lets out fuel if the tank is quite full.

I have had the tank up loads of times to wire accessories etc. I have never seen the need to remove it even when it is almost full.

Steve