I lost my smoothness...

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
So, ever since changing my oil and going for a 200 mile ride I noticed that when I start my bike either in the AM or in the PM when going back it is not as smooth. I put Rotella T synthetic. The tach is at 1500rpm since the bike is cold and kind of oscilates between maybe 1400-1600 and you can hear it. Any idea why? Do I need to asjust my idle? When the bike is hot it does appear to be close to 1000-1100, do not know exactly.
Thanks for any help!

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
well i dunno if I have the same thing your talking about but at that RPM just above idle..it stutters..but its smooth once i get going

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
no, it's not exactly the same I think. It sounds like your idle is too low. My idle when the bike is cold is 1500 and it stutters - is that what you mean? I am thinking that with the better oil my idle has gotten lower and I probably need to adjust it up.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
no, it's not exactly the same I think. It sounds like your idle is too low. My idle when the bike is cold is 1500 and it stutters - is that what you mean? I am thinking that with the better oil my idle has gotten lower and I probably need to adjust it up.

My '08 does the 1500+ stutter after starting cold but smoothes out in a minute and then settles down to about a 1200 +/- 50 RPM idle which is totally smooth. I've got 1900 miles on it and am running Rotella 5w-40 Synthetic in it.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so not to worry? Do you think it is normal? It didn't do it before the oil change which is my only concern. BTW, isn't there a way to know the exact idle speed? I heard you can check it on the digital display somehow...anybody know how?

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK, so not to worry? Do you think it is normal? It didn't do it before the oil change which is my only concern. BTW, isn't there a way to know the exact idle speed? I heard you can check it on the digital display somehow...anybody know how?

On the '04-'06 model, the display could be changed to read a digital RPM but I'm not sure if we can on the newer ones. If you're below 1200, you can notch the idle up a little at a time until you've hit either smooth or 1200.

I don't think it's a problem. How's the oil level? Did you get the blue bottle of Rotella?

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked the oil level after riding it for about 10 miles post oil change and was OK. I will recheck it. I did get the Blue Rotella - the synthetic version, 5w-40 from Pepboys. I have to say it actually looks and smells worse than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 has a lighter color to it and not as pungent smell. I'll try to adjust the idle and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I checked the oil level after riding it for about 10 miles post oil change and was OK. I will recheck it. I did get the Blue Rotella - the synthetic version, 5w-40 from Pepboys. I have to say it actually looks and smells worse than Mobil 1. Mobil 1 has a lighter color to it and not as pungent smell. I'll try to adjust the idle and see if it makes a difference.
Thanks

Keep us informed.

Yes, it does smell awful compared to Mobil 1 but it sure beats the price! :D Did you see my comments on how to handle the gallon containers? ;) It was in a thread about how to change the oil in the Garage section.

Take care Dani!