Tank Help

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
I Was Pulling The Tank Up And A Green Wire Was Pulled Out Of A Plug. What Is It? What Does It Do? I Turned The Bike On And The Fuel Meter Was Blinking. Can I Just Plug It Back In Or Is It More Complicated? There Was Also A Vent Tube Pulled Out But Thats Pretty Simple To Slide Back On.

0603080002.jpg

bubbalove

MoGas
Reaction score
Visit site
don't know what year your FZ6 is my friend, but i have a 2004 and the yamaha service manual and i am looking in it now and it shows it plugging into the fuel pump. it's either the fuel pump coupler, or the fuel sender coupler, not sure without taking apart my bike. and no you can't just plug it back in. that type of connector has a pin, crimped on the end of the wire and then cliped into the plug, then plugged into the fuel pump. you may need to unplug the harness, get the old pin out of there and crimp on a new pin and reinstall the wire back into the plug. let me know what you do. hope this helps

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Quick look at the service manual says it's either your fuel pump or fuel meter. Either way, it's kind of important...i'd plug it back in.:thumbup:

Edit: beaten to the punch....do what he says ^

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi There

I have never lifted my tank but it looks like you could take the coupler off. Now I work on pellet stoves and I have pulled wires out before so what you might be ablr to do is take a small screwdriver or a sheet metal scribe and get under the pin which has a small flange to hold it in the plug and depress it then that hollow pin should come right out. It sounds more complicated than it really is. Then if you can get the wire back in I would solder it in place. Hopefully someone else could explain it in a simpler way but you should be able to get the pin out. If a chimney sweep can do it anyone can.

Doc

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. Ive Been Trying To Digg Out With A Safety Pin No Luck So Far. Soldering Would Be Very Hard As Theres Not Much Room To Move Down There. I'll Keep Trying. Only Have An Hour Of Sunshine Left.

flyer34

Reaction score
Visit site
That shouldn't happen unless it was forcefully pulled pretty hard. You could try just shoving it back in, but then you'll probably have an unreliable fuel gauge, if at all.

Hopefully no part of the terminal broke off with the wire. (The picture is a little too blurry to tell for sure, but it looks like it's probably ok.)

You mentioned digging something out with a safety pin. I assume you mean the terminal in the plug that the wire was attached to. You may already know all this, but I can tell you those terminals almost always come out the rear of the plug, and they are almost always held in by a tab on the terminal that is very tough to get to and can only be accessed from the front of the plug. Sometimes, the plug itself is a 2-piece design that releases the terminals when disassembled.

I've never messed around with these particular wires, so that's all the help I can give for now.

If you can get the terminal out, definitely solder the wire to it, and maybe lengthen the wire to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Good luck.

H

HavBlue

Thanks. Ive Been Trying To Digg Out With A Safety Pin No Luck So Far. Soldering Would Be Very Hard As Theres Not Much Room To Move Down There. I'll Keep Trying. Only Have An Hour Of Sunshine Left.

The picture is awfully blurry but that looks like a Molex plug and you will need a pin popper and a set of crimpers to make a proper repair. These can be purchased at a good electrical supplier. Pop the pin, strip the wire back, crimp the new pin on and it will be as good as new.

S107

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok The Metal Connector Is Stuck In There. No Way Of Getting It Out With What I Have. I Ended Tearing The Insulation On The Wire Next To It (Exposing The Copper Wire) So Decided To Just Cut The 2nd Wire And Remove The Whole Thing. Im Goin To Take It To The Dealer Tomorrow And Hopefully Get A New One Soon. Then As Stated Above, Just Crimp Some New Pins On And Plug In To New Piece. I Will Also Add Some More Wire To Make Sure This Doesnt Happen Again. What Gauge Wire Should I Use? Anyone Know What This Piece Is Called? I Checked My Owners Manual, Yamaha Motor Webiste Parts Catalog, And This Forums Link To The Service Manual. Couldnt Find ****!

Thanks Again Guys. Pretty Quick Responses With Awesome Advise.