Changing Sprockets

TODD7258

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

First post here. Just got my 2008 FZ 6 and I want to change my sprockets from stock. My rear is a 46 and I dont know what the front is yet. Geared to low. I wanted to change the rear to a 43 or 44. Any thoughts? Also, I want a softer seat. Need a taller windshield and would like to get some bags. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to this great forum!

I don't offhand know what the stock number of teeth are on the FZ6. Wait...16 tooth on the front and 46 tooth on the rear.

I just bought sprockets and chain from Supersprox. I actually went to the Supersprox company in Riverside since I was passing by on a trip. Their warehouse has a lot of stock and much of the parts are CNC'd on the premises. The guys running the show were very kind to my wife and I. We even got a little tour since I used to do CNC and was very interested.
Here's a link to their web site and if you call them they have good knowledge on what you might want. https://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1096700

Good luck and welcome! :)

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

First post here. Just got my 2008 FZ 6 and I want to change my sprockets from stock. My rear is a 46 and I dont know what the front is yet. Geared to low. I wanted to change the rear to a 43 or 44. Any thoughts? Also, I want a softer seat. Need a taller windshield and would like to get some bags. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!!

Bumping the front sprocket one tooth larger (I believe that's the max for the front) makes a bit of a difference and you can use the same chain (lenth). There have been posts where the results are good (some loss of acceleration, lower RPM's) but going much more than that, generally, really degrades over all performance.

IMO, I would go larger on the front sprocket first, try that, then if need be, the rear.

You have to remember, one tooth larger up front, roughly equals 3 teeth or so smaller in the rear. Its a tad bit easier on the chain too with the larger diameter.

There's numerous threads on it, but thats basically the short version of it..

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I also agree with going 1 up in the front. Easy to swap and makes a noticeable difference in rpms and highway cruising. Some loss of acceleration, but the bike still has PLENTY of power and get-up. Another plus of going to a 17t up front which hasn't been mentioned is that your speedometer will be much more accurate. Almost dead on instead of the ~7% error with the stock sprocket.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the 17T front sprocket. I will drag race anyone who says that acceleration is negatively affected :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HhaPc5EL6Q]2005 Yamaha FZ6 Quarter Mile Drag On Board 11.709 - YouTube[/ame]

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Do the 17T front sprocket. I will drag race anyone who says that acceleration is negatively affected :D

2005 Yamaha FZ6 Quarter Mile Drag On Board 11.709 - YouTube

I've done +1 on my Ninja 650R and +1 on m FZ6 S2, the difference on
the 650R was hardly noticeable because of better bottom end on that
engine, but it's a big difference in hard launches in 1st gear.

After that, it doesn't matter anymore, you just stay in 5th longer when
you're riding fast. Found some hills that I can't climb at above 90mph
in 6th since it's 1:1.007 if I remember correctly now (virtually an overdrive).

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!!

Bumping the front sprocket one tooth larger (I believe that's the max for the front) makes a bit of a difference and you can use the same chain (lenth). There have been posts where the results are good (some loss of acceleration, lower RPM's) but going much more than that, generally, really degrades over all performance.

IMO, I would go larger on the front sprocket first, try that, then if need be, the rear.

You have to remember, one tooth larger up front, roughly equals 3 teeth or so smaller in the rear. Its a tad bit easier on the chain too with the larger diameter.

There's numerous threads on it, but thats basically the short version of it..

That's what I did.

+1 on the front, the chain should last 20-30% longer (says gearing commander, I forgot how much) and I've dropped about 500 revs in 6th gear.

The acceleration difference is noticeable in 1st gear more so then it was
on my 650 kawi twin when I did the same mod.