Please help, my 09 fz6 battery won't keep charge while bike running?

yellowr6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a 09 fz6 with 9k miles. Stock. Today, bike started in the morning, went to fill gas and bike won't start. Quick bump start and went to work. While going a few block, bike died. I pull over and had it tow home. Here's what I test do far:

Battery is at 13v. Fully charged it. Once I fired it up, volt meter reads 10 ish. So battery is fine.

My first guess is the RR. I rev engine to 4k and reading is 12v while it should be plus 14 ish. I'm pretty sure it's not the RR.

I'm Down to the stator. I disconnect the plug. It's not grounded. Good. Now the fun part. I test out the three white wire. 2 of the 3 combo read over 60 v while at 4k rpm. One combo test is only at 20. All combo test should be over 60 v.

Question is, is it my stator or something else? Maybe starter?

Thx!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The test for your stator is an ohms test. It should read .22 to .34 ohms while the test meter is in x1 ohm range. This reading should be present on each of the legs and there should be no reading to ground at any time.

Also check your plug to the R/R they've been known to fail.
You should also have your battery load tested because regardless of voltage the battery must be able to hand back a specific amount of current at the rated voltages. The load test shows this rate of current.
Unfortunately all 3 main components of your charging system effect each other and must all be healthy or one component can have bearing on the heath of the other.
Do not jump start your bike from a car with it's engine running. Car motor off is okay. This how a regulator/rectifier can be toasted.

See attached and good luck!

Also search is your friend on the forum. There is an awesome amount of knowledge and experience on this specific subject.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys,

Battery is at 13v. Fully charged it. Once I fired it up, volt meter reads 10 ish. So battery is fine.

My first guess is the RR. I rev engine to 4k and reading is 12v while it should be plus 14 ish. I'm pretty sure it's not the RR.

I'm Down to the stator. I disconnect the plug. It's not grounded. Good. Now the fun part. I test out the three white wire. 2 of the 3 combo read over 60 v while at 4k rpm. One combo test is only at 20. All combo test should be over 60 v.

Question is, is it my stator or something else? >> No>> Maybe starter?

Thx!

The test for your stator is an ohms test. It should read .22 to .34 ohms while the test meter is in x1 ohm range. This reading should be present on each of the legs and there should be no reading to ground at any time.

Also check your plug to the R/R they've been known to fail.
You should also have your battery load tested because regardless of voltage the battery must be able to hand back a specific amount of current at the rated voltages. The load test shows this rate of current.

Yes, Load test the battery.
Perhaps the static no load stater coil test is good. 60 vs 20. Ohm test it and see if it shows an open or a short. PS - the LOW OHM value can be skewed by the leads making the measurement.

Touch the leads and obtain the Ohm value. Lets say its 0.52ohms. Subtract this from the measured value of each stator coil reading.

Lets say the coil reads 0.85ohms - (leads shorted) 0.52 ohms = 0.33 ohms.

Let us know what you find.