Need help wiring a custom naked headlight!

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,

I need some electrical help. Never messed with anything like this before on my bike... and I don't want to burn anything up, so your help is greatly appreciated.

This headlight has 3 things I need to hook up:

1) A CCFL Halo which I want to use as a RUNNING LIGHT.
2) An 8000K HID lamp which I want to use as my BRIGHT LIGHT.
3) Another standard bulb with reflector that I would like to use as a RUNNING LIGHT.

Now, I already did the BD43 mod, so in essence, I should have all of the wires I need because I currently have 2 running lights and a bright off of the switch.

Here's what's "out of the box":

I already connected everything to the ballast and plugged in the inverter for the Halo. I think this is correct.

The main running light has 3 wires: Yellow, Blue, and Green.
The Halo has 2 leads off of the inverter: Red and Black.
The HID has 2 leads off of the ballast: Blue and White.

I'm really not sure what to cut/splice/hookup etc.

Also, should I fuse everything?

I know this may need a long reply, but I sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help. Couldn't do this without the forum.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The only fuse you should need is at the battery wire.
Your existing hi and lo beam wires should only be used for control of your HID setup. There should be instructions for you HID telling you what wires go to your battery and your hi and lo beam. On some setups they have a harness for the hi/lo beam switching. I've never had to hook up other than a single function hid (lo beam only) but this can't be very complicated. You could actually power your halo from your running light circuit on the bike. Do you have instructions and if you do is there a PDF I could get?

There are many on the forum that have done this type of set up so we might get a contributor with experience on this exact set up. :)

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
The only fuse you should need is at the battery wire.
Your existing hi and lo beam wires should only be used for control of your HID setup. There should be instructions for you HID telling you what wires go to your battery and your hi and lo beam. On some setups they have a harness for the hi/lo beam switching. I've never had to hook up other than a single function hid (lo beam only) but this can't be very complicated. You could actually power your halo from your running light circuit on the bike. Do you have instructions and if you do is there a PDF I could get?

There are many on the forum that have done this type of set up so we might get a contributor with experience on this exact set up. :)

Unfortunately I have no instructions at all. What came in the box was the light, 1 ballast, and 1 inverter. I hooked it up the way I believe it was supposed to go. I will contact the guy who sold it to me and see if he can provide input.

Also, if anyone has a wiring diagram of what's going on the actual bike it would be helpful. I tried to watch Wavex's tutorial but the second part is blocked on YouTube due to a copyrighted song.

Again, appreciate the help!!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately I have no instructions at all. What came in the box was the light, 1 ballast, and 1 inverter. I hooked it up the way I believe it was supposed to go. I will contact the guy who sold it to me and see if he can provide input.

Also, if anyone has a wiring diagram of what's going on the actual bike it would be helpful. I tried to watch Wavex's tutorial but the second part is blocked on YouTube due to a copyrighted song.

Again, appreciate the help!!!

Do you have a brand name? Maybe we could hunt down the PDF

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think the halo/HID is F-Sane performance, model TPJ-3100.

Pulled that off of an SV650 website where someone else did the same thing.

Thanks,the site is "down for maintenance" wll check back later...

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Just found this image.

IMG_1276-vi.jpg

Same halo/hid projector I have. I don't have those 3 prong harnesses on the left though.

And obviously, I'm only using 1, with the addition of that other lamp in the naked light.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the attached PDF.
If you have a different color low beam wire other than the black with green tracer then use that low beam wire.

From the halo Red+ to the blue with red tracer on the bike and Black- to the black wire on the bike that feeds your running lights. :)

These wires are already fused from the bike.
The last part is the 2 wires from your HID that go to the battery. Red to the positive (must be fused) and black to the negative

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the attached PDF.
If you have a different color low beam wire other than the black with green tracer then use that low beam wire.

From the halo Red+ to the blue with red tracer on the bike and Black- to the black wire on the bike that feeds your running lights. :)

These wires are already fused from the bike.
The last part is the 2 wires from your HID that go to the battery. Red to the positive (must be fused) and black to the negative

You're the man Cliff!!! Thanks so much!

Just curious, but that covers the HID and the Halo. What about that center lamp I want to use as a running light as well? It has 3 wires which is confusing me.

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The guy posted how to do it to a FZ8 headlight, so I completely get the halo and HID now.

HOW-TO: Install BKMOTO FZ8 FZ6R HID BiXenon projectors with angel/demon eye - Yamaha FZ8 Forums - International FZ8 Motorcycle Community Forum

I'll have to wire in a switch to separate the halo from the HID.

I'm guessing I will have to wire in the top center light together with the bright HID so they turn on at the same time.

I see now you have a running light in the assembly. As long as it's not a high wattage lamp you can run that lamp off your running light circuit along with your halo. Unless you want to turn your halo off you don't need a switch for it. Your running lamp should only use one filament so you only need to find the 2 wires that light it. What's the extra wire for?

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I see now you have a running light in the assembly. As long as it's not a high wattage lamp you can run that lamp off your running light circuit along with your halo. Unless you want to turn your halo off you don't need a switch for it. Your running lamp should only use one filament so you only need to find the 2 wires that light it. What's the extra wire for?

I wish I knew. That's what's confusing me. I wrote to the guy and he's sending me an H7 plug so I can wire everything without having to cut the stock harness. Nice of him. He's also going to tell me what's up with that 3rd wire.

This should all be resolved soon. Sincerely appreciate your help!!!