No such thing as a routine ride home

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
or on the way to work.

Just a reminder, by the grace of God, I did not but I should have lowsided this morning. My normal right hand turn from a major street onto another with a green light, I slow before cornering, look lean and roll and to my surprise the street that I turn onto was all gravel! They are in the process of repaving the road. There were no warning, no construction sign since the resurfacing began once I turned onto the street.

The loose pavement just blended in like it was a normal road. I had to look real closely until I realized that it was actually the hard oily gravel, not the real loose ones like you find off the shoulders.

I have to admit, I got extremely lucky.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you kept the rubber side down! It's an unpleasant feeling. Not too long ago, I've had the front wheel slide good 6" or so in a slow turn.. pavement looked perfect.. it was a total surprise.
Luckily the tire regained traction rather gently and all was good :)

famous556

TV4 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good work VR for keeping the bike up. I too had a time recently like Erci describes. Nice fair day, 70 degrees and dry. Was going around a nice easy bend and the front slid out about a half a foot over a tar snake. The road is mostly clean with very few snakes. It was just the right combination of factors and it definitely snuck up on me.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hit a wooden plank bridge banked over once at speed on a riding trip near home. Was all I could to straighten up enough not to fall as rear slipped out.

The next year a local rider died on a bridge just like that one in the same area. I knew the exact scenario and felt extra ****ty.

Proper signage is important.

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for sharing. Too many uneventful rides can make the mind and reflexes go soft. I think I'm going to do some parking lot refreshers this weekend.