Previous owner seriously messed up the signals, could use some expert help

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, so after owning the bike a while, I realized that the signals in this thing are quite FUBAR. The previous owner put in a bunch of aftermarket lights and It seems he did a real job with it :spank:

Here is the setup that I bought the bike with:

1. Front and rear signals replaced with low profile LED signals (the amber flush mount type)
  2. POD lights installed in the corner of the headlights (might be LED?)
  3. Rear taillight replaced with LED taillight with integrated signal

So we are talking about 4 lights total on either side that blink when the signal is on. However SOME blink at the accelerated rate, like I have read happens to so many people, EXCEPT the front signals, somehow those blink at a normal rate.

The rear signals are even more odd, they seem to blink at a slightly faster than normal rate, but will pause every once in a while.

Like: *blink* *blink* *blink* *blink* ----------- *blink* *blink* ------*blink* blink* *blink* *blink*

There really doesn't seem to be a pattern at all.

The POD and integrated tail light signals blink fast along with the signal indicator light.

If all of these lights consistently blinked fast, i would say get the electronic flash relay and that should fix the issue, but since they are so erratic, I don't know if that is going to fix it. Either way I ordered one, but I'm wondering if there is more demons at play.

Also note: Hazards do the same odd patterns as all the lights do when turn signal is on

zackeeboy

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert in the electrical area, but it sounds like if they are all LED's, then the ones flashing at a normal rate have been corrected with in-line resistors. The quick flashing ones were not. The electronic flasher relay should correct the quick flash rate. Motogiro (Cliff) was a HUGE help to me when I was changing signals front and back.

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm no expert in the electrical area, but it sounds like if they are all LED's, then the ones flashing at a normal rate have been corrected with in-line resistors. The quick flashing ones were not. The electronic flasher relay should correct the quick flash rate. Motogiro (Cliff) was a HUGE help to me when I was changing signals front and back.

If that is in fact the case (does kind of sound like it from what I have read) how would I identify and remove these resistors? Are they spliced into the wiring? No idea what I'm looking for :confused:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The rate side to side is based upon the load. Exceptions would be LEDs with built in timers of some kind. Like the rear brake one being integrated brake and turn. It's very likely that replacing your electromechanical relay with a solid state electronic relay will fix your problem.

I would advise you inspect the wiring and confirm the integrity of it. As for removing the load resistors, that's up to you (if they exist) but they really aren't hurting anything if supported correctly and their wires are properly protected from shorts, opens, moisture and vibration.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. . . then the ones flashing at a normal rate have been corrected with in-line resistors. The quick flashing ones were not.

As said above, it really doesn't work that way. The flasher relay see's the big picture as a load not an individual LED.

. . .
The electronic flasher relay should correct the quick flash rate. Motogiro (Cliff) was a HUGE help to me when I was changing signals front and back. .

Both true! :thumbup:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm... There is only one flasher, and the circuit looks like: battery ==> Switch ==> Flasher (delay relay) ==> Lights ==> Ground.

The lights have no way of running slower or faster on their own. So if some are flashing at a normal rate, and some are at faster rates, they must be on different circuits. The resistors do nothing except provide resistance to the delay relay.

[TMI]
A delay relay is a relay with a capacitor built in. Capacitors store a charge kind of like a battery, but they do fun things in DC circuits. Most notably is that they take different amounts of time to charge and discharge based on the amount of resistance in a circuit. So what actually happens is that when the switch is turned left or right, power is applied to the capacitor, which acts like an open until it is charged (lights are off), once it's fully charged, flow begins and then heads through the inductor on the relay. This closes the relay while the capacitor discharges. Power can now flow from the battery, to the switch, to the capacitor, to the inductor, to the lights, and then finally to ground through the now closed relay. Once the capacitor fully discharges,the cycle repeats. If one of the bulbs were to blow, the resistance is lowered in the circuit increasing the flash rate for the entire circuit. So the bulbs can't flash at different rates...
[/TMI]

The resistors usually look like big white blocks, or just big lumps in heat shrink. They're usually fairly close to the lights. Make sure there is a separate voltage regulator or that the LED's can handle 12VDC before you remove them however.

There is the option, however, that some of the lights may be run from a controller board that pulls it's power from someplace else. That would explain the normal flash rates on some and fast on others. If that is the case, putting the digital flasher in should normalize the rates as it should bring the faster rates of the ones on the bikes flash circuit down the the normal rate of the controlled one. The intermittent flashing one does sound normal for some LED's. Wavering voltage will cause the intermittent "no-fire" condition.

If the flasher and removing any remaining resistors doesn't fix it, you'll need to start tracing out your new light circuit.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also there's a company (I forget the name) that sells a flushmount LED light that has an IC built into the unit that makes it strobe so you may see what appears to be different flash rates or intermittent flashes from front to back.

A good test might be to test each LED unit on a constant 12 volt source to see if it is steady on or maybe an intermittent internal sequence. This intermittent might be the confusing factor. :D

If you find load resistors get an electronic flasher relay and get rid of the resistors.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are the flush mount LEDs I was referring to: High Tech Speed Proton Flushmount Turn Signals - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

These might be adding to the perception of different flash rates...:D

0000-High-Tech-Speed-Proton-Flushmount-Turn-Signals.jpg

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Would a video of the signals going help? It truly is a sight :)

Unfortunately I am out of town for the extended weekend, but could post one up Monday sometime.

All I want to do is get everything blinking on a normal rate, in unison, who knew?!:rolleyes:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those do look a bit like the ones on my bike, I need to take a closer look at them.

If those are the Protons they're pretty cool and I think you can change the flash sequence. They're also pretty pricey! Maybe it's just a case of the right flasher for your set-up. If it's using the OEM and or has resistors for load, get rid of the resistors and replace the flasher with an electronic type.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Would a video of the signals going help? It truly is a sight :)

Unfortunately I am out of town for the extended weekend, but could post one up Monday sometime.

All I want to do is get everything blinking on a normal rate, in unison, who knew?!:rolleyes:

:Flash: Yes I'd like to see them..:Flash:

crabbypants

Reaction score
Visit site
So i put in a new flasher relay, and it fixed the issues!! :rockon:

Thanks again moto, I figured I was going to be tracing wiring or some ridiculous other thing. Was a 10 minute, 10 dollar fix, and the relay even fit in the rubber holder that the old relay was in.

I took videos of before and after, I just need to piece them together next time I am at my computer.

Stay tuned...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So i put in a new flasher relay, and it fixed the issues!! :rockon:

Thanks again moto, I figured I was going to be tracing wiring or some ridiculous other thing. Was a 10 minute, 10 dollar fix, and the relay even fit in the rubber holder that the old relay was in.

I took videos of before and after, I just need to piece them together next time I am at my computer.

Stay tuned...

:Flash: That's great to hear! :Flash: :D