Gauge cluster issues

Dadeadlyraccoon

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a naked conversion on my bike and now when the rpm gauge goes up to 8 and 9 rpms the stick bounces all over the place for just a second. Its really annoying. Nothing happens with the engine or anything. Just the gauge freaks out. Any ideas why?

Iellei

yes I'm a girl
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
This is probably too late...but its very likely an electrical issue. My guess would be that you are having some type of overdraw on your electrical system around those rpms, thus creating the jumping around of the needle. Basically there isn't enough power being created or not enough can flow through the system.

I have had similar issues with a vehicle, and my bike that were both easily fixed once I traced down the reason. Car- I replaced the alternator, Bike- replaced some bad wires and my stator. Neither one gave the "normal" symptoms of failing. In the bike I had a cracked wire that at a certain rpm the vibration made it wonky :) That was fun to figure out!

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would pull all the connections apart between the ECM and gauge pod. You will have to pull the air box so you need a very long 4mm allen set on sockets. Like an 8" one a use shorter one with 1/4" drive extensions.

You're looking for pushed out pins, corrosion, fungus, damage to the wires. be sure to disconnect the battery first before pulling connectors apart.