electrical mod hell; gauge and lights

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok where do I start. A month of so ago I picked up my 2006 FZ6. It was beaten up by a layover. She was missing headlight/fairing, gauge, left hand headlight/signal switch, and front turn signals. Im now in the process of replacing them.

Here is what I have to work with (excuse the blurryness but Im sure you guys get it):

10xh5le.jpg

358rvaa.jpg

Now the headlight/signal switchgear installation is cake. The parts Im having trouble with are the front signals, and the gauge.

-Where do I find the front signal wires (Ive located headlight wires already in that harness with 4 wires leading to it)?

-Does anyone have a diagram for the stock wiring harness so that I can connect my aftermarket gauge wires to the wires on the bike? Ive got the diagram for my gauge, but I need to know what wires do what on the bike.

Your guys' help is immensely appreciated. Im dying to get out on the road

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks that really helps!!!

Could you give my the physical location of the front signal power wires? Im having trouble locating them on those diagrams

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh wow I didnt even realize that was needed! Does it matter that Im going for a naked bike? Is there a way to wire directly into the harnesses pictured in my pics?

edit I went ahead and bought it and stopped being a cheap ass. Thanks alot!

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here are a few pages that will help you identify your wiring color code in relation to the wiring diagram. The fist and last pages will be what you use for component, color code, and plug configuration.
Depending on how familiar you are with reading electrical schematics will determine how easily you understand and translate this info to rewiring your bike.
Take your time and look over this info. If you look at the color code chart you will notice for example that L stands for the color Blue. Lg stands for Light green. Look at the plugs color codes. This will start to make sense.

As mentioned before you can get a harness on flea bay which I would think will simplify your dilemma. Also you have an 06 so if you do get a harness make sure you're getting one for an 06 because IIRK the 07 instrument cluster plug has 1 wire difference.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Im using this fleabay deal. Motorcycle speedometer tachometer odometer LCD clock Fuel Meter | eBay

Wow that is a hell of a diagram. Ill be doing my best with that one. Also how accurate is this:
wiringq.jpg

Im assuming thats a guide to the subharness wires?

(obviously I dont have the KOSO gauge but Im asking about the FZ6 function-wire color accuracy)

Right away I see the wrong color list for the hi beam on that chart It should be black with a yellow tracer. It lists the hi beam as yellow. The lo beam is not even listed. The lo beam is black with a green tracer.

I would use the schematic and color codes I posted for you....:D

Whoever made the list said the speedo could be a few different colors. The person who wrote it said, "I have to look" LOL! When you wire something wrong you can take out one or more very expensive components. Use the factory Data and Schematics...

Last edited:

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
Ill definitely be using yours to the best of my ability. According to the thread that came from those are for the gauge only so I suppose there wouldnt be a low beam. But Ill still trust your schematic

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ill definitely be using yours to the best of my ability. According to the thread that came from those are for the gauge only so I suppose there wouldnt be a low beam. But Ill still trust your schematic

Oh! Ok now I get it! Didn't know it was for the Kosovo Instrument color code. :tard:

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
hahahaha right! Yeah its sans lights/indicators. Hopefully the info gathered will be enough for the project.

NEW question! Do you know if its safe to replace one of the hex nuts for the halls sensor magnet on the rotor? This is what Im told to do

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
hahahaha right! Yeah its sans lights/indicators. Hopefully the info gathered will be enough for the project.

NEW question! Do you know if its safe to replace one of the hex nuts for the halls sensor magnet on the rotor? This is what Im told to do

What hex nut? What rotor? Is this a stock part?

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
Heres a decent picture. You can see the silver rotor and as you go inward there is a black "ring" with those little hex bolts (not nuts sorry, also I suppose they are star and not hex). I was told you replace one of those nuts with the halls magnet. Which is a little magnet with a c-clip.

http://imageshack.us/f/515/radiatorcovers.jpg/

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heres a decent picture. You can see the silver rotor and as you go inward there is a black "ring" with those little hex bolts (not nuts sorry, also I suppose they are star and not hex). I was told you replace one of those nuts with the halls magnet. Which is a little magnet with a c-clip.

Imageshack - radiatorcovers.jpg

I see. You have a magnet on the rotor and a Hall Effect transistor sensor that mounts to your fork. If they have the magnetic trigger bolt designed for the rotor it should be ok. You might also consider one of those slots that run in line with those bolts... You could even add a bolt 180 degrees on the rotor to compensate weight difference.

I bet you already have a hall effect sensor on the bike but it likely get's triggered off the output shaft so it may not work with the Kosovo.

Found this: http://www.speedohealer.com/your_pics/fz6_04/tutorial.htm There is a speed sensor and it looks like it is a Hall Effect trigger. A few tests and you may find it is compatible! Looks like it reads off the output shaft near the clutch...:D

Last edited:

darenGr

Reaction score
Visit site
hi, if I may ask, how did it go with the 'Kosovo'? Are you satisfied, did you manage to also connect the temperature and oil warning lamp signals, or just the rest?
I am exactly in the same situation as you were, after somebody stole my complete fairing with headlights, instruments, mirrors, holders, cabling and indicators, so gathering replacement parts for all of them. And if the 'Kosovo' works, it is a cheap alternative. Is also is so very similar to the real koso, could it be a clone, from same factory maybe, or somehow defective?
I would appreciate if you share some experience gained.
many thanks
darenGr

MasterAtArms

Reaction score
Visit site
Havent gotten it on yet! Im a little worries myself about the temp and oil lights. Also the fuel and tach. But hopefully its more direct that I think! Ill be sure to do a write up!