Noob track days?

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right sub to post in, but here goes. I'm a novice rider (a little over a year riding, about 3k miles), and want to get better. I've read that going to track days is probably the best way to do this. My question is, what does one need to do to get ready for a track day? Do I bring my own bike? I've got an ex-500 that I'm rebuilding (close to finished) and recently got an '06 FZ. I think the closest one to where I live (northwest PA) is Mid-Ohio, and they do have novice classes, but their website wasn't so straightforward as to what I need to do/bring.

Thanks in advance!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
you can track most bikes, though supersports are obviously better designed for it

if they rent out bikes then that can make it a lot easier, but you will be on an unfamiliar bike, and if you are a novice and they put slicks on the bike you may struggle to keep the heat in them

essentials:
1 or 2 piece leathers that zip together
motorcycle boots (armoured)
leather gloves
back protector
helmet
over here you need to bring your licence (road or race)

useful stuff:
duct tape
spanners / tools
spare levers / pegs

there's probably plenty more that i can't think of right now

a track day school may be a more gentle introduction to tack riding, and give you a much better grounding. you can just go to a normal track day and there will be lots of people in your situation, but it may be a bit of a steeper learning curve

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
That makes perfect sense about not being used to the rental bike, but I think I'd be more comfortable pushing it on a bike that's not mine (I assume you have to pay for insurance on the rental of some sort?). I like the idea of the track day school, that sounds like the best place to start. It's not like I jumped in the ocean the first time I put on SCUBA gear! I've also read that you can rent leathers at some places, even so, would you recommend getting my own to assure that they fit?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
alternatively here's a list of stuff from a more seasoned trackdayer on another forum :eek:

Genny
Tool box x2
Pump
Boxes bolts screws
X2 black boxes of spares and tools
front paddock stand
Rear paddock stand
Holdall with spare bits in
Fuel
Baffle
Jonny jacket
Cash for tyre changes etc
Set alarm night before
Fuel pourer
Spare tyres wet n dry
Gazebo
Leathers
Golf umbrella
Bike keys inc spare
Milk
Chairs
Helmet
Gloves
Boots
Back protector
Waterproofs
Driving license
Chest protector
Spare visor
Sheets
Spare wheels
undersuit
Sunglasses and hat
Suncream
change clothes
Jacket/fleece
garage mat
CAMERA
Food
Energy Drink
Bottles water
Cool box
Sat nav
Spares for bike
Ramp
Alarm fob
Chain/lock
Tent
Camping gear inc sleepibg bag
Toiletries
kitchen sink

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
That makes perfect sense about not being used to the rental bike, but I think I'd be more comfortable pushing it on a bike that's not mine (I assume you have to pay for insurance on the rental of some sort?). I like the idea of the track day school, that sounds like the best place to start. It's not like I jumped in the ocean the first time I put on SCUBA gear! I've also read that you can rent leathers at some places, even so, would you recommend getting my own to assure that they fit?

i hired a bike last time, didn't sit on it until the first session and sighting lap. jumped on it an immediately dislocated my hip slightly as i wasn't used to it (it's just uncomfortable, not really painful). also wasn't used to the back brake position so didn't use it at all

jumping on my bike afterwards was very strange, handlebars too high and pegs too far forward :D

rental bke cost around £190 at the time, which included tyres, fuel, tyre warmers etc, and it was a nicely set up cbr600rr.

i'd recommend getting your own leathers, if only so that you wear them when you are riding normally! :spank:

i bought a set of dainese ones and i love them to peices, if you're on a budget then you can probably get some nearly new ones on ebay

my first time on track was at a school, they taught us the correct lines etc, and slowly built up through out the day, for that they made us use our road bikes, and it was a very safe environment (nobody fell off)

i know you have the CSS over there, but there's probably a few cheaper alternatives

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I did my first and only track day here in NJMP. greg above has covered most of the things. Here are some of my experience with fz6 on track.
- Prepping fz6: A simple way is taping (using painters tape) head lights,signal lights, brake light,side mirror. That's what i did. If you can , remove rear fender, side mirrors, peg feelers. Stock tires are not good on track. dual compound tires are way to go.
- Getting to track: trailer the bike, dont consider the option of riding to track and back, unless it's within reasonable distance.

which track day school are you considering? I think Beaver Run should be closer to you.

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
Last year I did my first and only track day here in NJMP. greg above has covered most of the things. Here are some of my experience with fz6 on track.
- Prepping fz6: A simple way is taping (using painters tape) head lights,signal lights, brake light,side mirror. That's what i did. If you can , remove rear fender, side mirrors, peg feelers. Stock tires are not good on track. dual compound tires are way to go.
- Getting to track: trailer the bike, dont consider the option of riding to track and back, unless it's within reasonable distance.

which track day school are you considering? I think Beaver Run should be closer to you.

I was looking at Mid-Ohio (~3 hrs away). Could you post a link to Beaver Run? I'm having trouble finding a website/contact info. I have plenty of painters tape from working on my ex500, thanks for the heads up! I also am waiting on Michelin Road Pilot II's to come in, until then no riding for me :(. Also, what are peg feelers?

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
If you have the desire to travel to NJMP, Tony's Track Days puts on a great show for new riders. I did my first track day with them in NH after 2 years of street riding and they helped me out a lot. I also know many of the instructors personally and they are just all-around great guys/girls.

In my personal opinion, the EX500 would be better for a track day than the FZ6, if only because the seating position and general ergonomics of the bike are better suited for track riding, but the FZ is certainly capable of being "tracked." Also, if you ride your own bike, you will actually learn things about your bike, rather than a bike you will never ride again. Having a 2-piece set of leathers is a good investment, since you can wear the leather jacket ont he street and zip the pants on. Once you get bit by the track bug, you will want your own set. Trust me.

rdrManny

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking at Mid-Ohio (~3 hrs away). Could you post a link to Beaver Run? I'm having trouble finding a website/contact info. I have plenty of painters tape from working on my ex500, thanks for the heads up! I also am waiting on Michelin Road Pilot II's to come in, until then no riding for me :(. Also, what are peg feelers?

Checkout Sportbike Trackday and Riding School Event Calendar - Motorcycle USA. There are few missing schools in there. For Beaver run/Nelsone ledges , the ones closer to NEPA i think, Checkout Moto Series Trackdays and Roadracing
Peg feelers are little knobs under foot peg.

Last edited: