how big of a difference.....

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
My FS6 sliders had two long bolts and they dont seem to want to send me the correct one :mad:. I am wondering if the factory allen head bolts are grade eight (metric class 10.9) and if it is a big deal to replace them (for the slider) with a grade 5 (class 8.8)? All I can find are class 8.8 and not 10.9. The problem is that they are a fine thread and no one locally carries them. What do I do? TIA :)

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
if it helps I know the differences in the grades/classes. I just wanted to see if anyone knows what the stock bolts are and if anyone has experience using the "lesser" bolts with/without repercussions........

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if it helps I know the differences in the grades/classes. I just wanted to see if anyone knows what the stock bolts are and if anyone has experience using the "lesser" bolts with/without repercussions........

I don't know what the stock bolts are, but i know that the "Lesser" bolts will bend and break easier, but I also have no idea what kind of strength is actually required. You could install the sliders with the lesser bolts and continue your search for the correct ones and replace them down the road. That way you at least have the sliders for lower impact usage and would only (in my unprofessional opinion) have adverse effects during high impact instances.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what the stock bolts are, but i know that the "Lesser" bolts will bend and break easier, but I also have no idea what kind of strength is actually required. You could install the sliders with the lesser bolts and continue your search for the correct ones and replace them down the road. That way you at least have the sliders for lower impact usage and would only (in my unprofessional opinion) have adverse effects during high impact instances.

Thanks Reio! that is what im doing for the time being. I just didn't know what stock was.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know enough about bolts to help with that. dealer can't tell you? any markings on the bolts letters? numbers?

the stock bolts are allen head.... so no marking whatsoever. I might just have to call the dealer but I have learned that it is usually hard to ask about bolts because people think a bolt is a bolt, is a bolt

but the one that came with the sliders are def. class 10.9 (sae grade 8 equivalent)

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks Reio..... now do you know anyone who wants to buy the other 99? (must buy in bulk as is the case with most places I find on the internet)

i didn't see that requirement, that stinks... I'll see what else i can find, Nothing local can order one in for you?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wrote an e-mail for you:

I have the FSY08 Frame sliders for my FZ6 and took them off to do some work to the bike. At some point in that time I managed to loose the bolts. Is there a way to order just the bolts for these frame sliders? My local hardware store is not able to get anything in the same strength and I want the bike to be protected the best way possible.

Thank you.

Robert Christian

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Christian,

Sorry to hear that you've lost the bolts. We do sell replacements. Below is the link. Just be sure to specify which kit you need them for. Have a great week!

https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=234

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,

Jason Herod
[email protected]
Thank-you for supporting Motovation products!
Ph: 512-697-9672 Fax: 512-828-6378

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They also say this about their fasteners:

Fasteners
We use mostly 12.9 grade (176,000 psi tensile strength) hardened steel socket head cap screws for our slider to frame attachments.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
A grade 5 would definitely hold the slider on there and keep the motor bolted to the frame, but when you actually need to use the slider it will just snap right off.

I suggest replacing it with one of the same grade., mcmaster should carry that bolt.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I wrote an e-mail for you:

I have the FSY08 Frame sliders for my FZ6 and took them off to do some work to the bike. At some point in that time I managed to loose the bolts. Is there a way to order just the bolts for these frame sliders? My local hardware store is not able to get anything in the same strength and I want the bike to be protected the best way possible.

Thank you.

Robert Christian

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hello Christian,

Sorry to hear that you've lost the bolts. We do sell replacements. Below is the link. Just be sure to specify which kit you need them for. Have a great week!

https://www.motovationusa.com/mvstore/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=234

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Best Regards,

Jason Herod
[email protected]
Thank-you for supporting Motovation products!
Ph: 512-697-9672 Fax: 512-828-6378

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They also say this about their fasteners:

Fasteners
We use mostly 12.9 grade (176,000 psi tensile strength) hardened steel socket head cap screws for our slider to frame attachments.

you da man, rob! Just one question... are motovation sliders both the same length? because the fs6 sliders are two separate lengths so I still wouldn't know if it is the right bolt without telling them that I need a [email protected] class 10.9 or higher.... you still helped alot I might buy both bolts from there because they are allen head and they will match the rest of the bolts on the bike.

:iconbeer: next round's on me!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
A grade 5 would definitely hold the slider on there and keep the motor bolted to the frame, but when you actually need to use the slider it will just snap right off.

I suggest replacing it with one of the same grade., mcmaster should carry that bolt.

all I saw on mcmaster was 1.5 pitch not 1.25 and you have to get ten at a time......still good prices anyway.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you da man, rob! Just one question... are motovation sliders both the same length? because the fs6 sliders are two separate lengths so I still wouldn't know if it is the right bolt without telling them that I need a [email protected] class 10.9 or higher.... you still helped alot I might buy both bolts from there because they are allen head and they will match the rest of the bolts on the bike.

:iconbeer: next round's on me!

all the frame sliders out there are hollow aren't they? so they all mount from the closest point on to the engine (does that make sense to anyone other than me?

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
all the frame sliders out there are hollow aren't they? so they all mount from the closest point on to the engine (does that make sense to anyone other than me?

I think it makes sense to me, but the FS6 sliders have one longer than the other....long story short I contacted motovation and they said just tell them what diameter/length/thread pitch, etc and they would get them out to me.
Thanks again Reio! :thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it makes sense to me, but the FS6 sliders have one longer than the other....long story short I contacted motovation and they said just tell them what diameter/length/thread pitch, etc and they would get them out to me.
Thanks again Reio! :thumbup:

Glad they are going to help you out. :thumbup: