how many miles before switching to synthetic?

epofHouston

Reaction score
Visit site
so.I bought a 06 fz6y with about 2.3k miles on it. I think the previous owner did 1 oil changed @ 500 & maybe another 1 after that. I put about 1k on the bike so I'm gonna do an oil change. Can I switch to synthetic yet or should I wait? If I wait, when can I switch? I'm gonna go with mobil1 oil. I used it on a f4i & never had problems w it.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
As long as it's the proper weight...

You have to wait until the odometer says...

Zero miles.

Pretty sure the bike actually comes with synthetic. Not that it matters. Some might say synthetic makes the engine take longer to break-in, but I'd have to see the independant studies on that one.

Most engines are so tight on tolerances from the factory anymore, they don't need any breaking in.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I waited until the odometer hit around 1,200 miles before switching to synthetic.

I dumped the factory fill oil at 300 miles and changed with Yamaha dino oil. I rode between 900 miles on the Yamaha dino oil and switched to Amsoil and have been running it ever since.

For the way I ride, my engine would probably last just as long on Yamaha dino. Only reason for using Amsoil is I can get it cheaper than the Yamaha motorcycle oil, and Amsoil ships it right to my house.

Win-win... right?

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic bike oil after my second oil change around 800 miles, and ran it ever since. (With today's close-tolerance, water-cooled engines I do think you can use synthetic immediately after you drain out the factory stuff though)

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe the OM says 600 miles for break in, I'd dump the oil earlier
than that but not change to synth until around the 600 mark

as for the OP, you're well beyond break in period so you can switch anytime IMHO