Loosing pressure on gravel?

yokel84

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought a 2004 Fz6 about three weeks ago as my first bike (other than a Honda ruckus) and have bee enjoying it immensely.

It came with just over 9000 miles on the odo. and a fairly new set of Bridgestone BT 21s. The tires only had a year and 1000 or so miles on them. They appeared to be in great condition when I bought the bike.

Now they are loosing pressure very quickly. I couldn't see any damage, and checked for leaks (without removing the tires) without finding any but they both have lost about 1 pound of pressure in the last 24 hours with riding of course. I haven't been able to leave the bike parked long enough yet to see if they loose pressure standing :)

I was wondering if riding the bike on coarse gravel could be leading to my pressure loss. It's a tough way to learn to ride btw!

The front tire is now what a mechanic at my local bike shop referred to as "cupped." There is a raised ridge, or ring, about two inches wide all the way around the front tire. It has noticeably affected the handling of the bike. Is this dangerous? I now check and adjust my tire pressure prior to each ride.

Thanks for your help

-Will

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the tires I've seen that seems to lend itself to cupping is the Firestone BT-020. I think that tread design wants to cup. I've never had a tire after that that did the same thing so badly. I would put fresh rubber anyway.

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good stuff,

The tire does lose pressure on its own though.. after a week of riding w/o testing I was down to 24/28 yikes!

I check tire pressure once a week, on all my bikes.. Pretty normal to need to add a couple psi on occasion.:noworries:

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
My bike came with the Bridgestone BaTLax, (however they spell battle axe), tires. Factory tires = no problems. I picked up a huge self-tapping sheet metal and to replace the rear tire at 800 miles. The new tire lost about a pound per day for nearly 3 weeks and then suddenly stopped losing air! Go figure. (Dunno if this could somehow apply to your's?)

yokel84

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks y'all. We'll see how it goes.. measuring the tires cold before every ride and still losing a 1 psi per day. Seems fast to me, but the tires look good and feel good when inflated properly/warmed up so I guess I'll keep riding them until I notice anything sketchy.

S

Shamus McFeeley

Don't forget about your valve stem. An old one will deteriorate around the area where it meets the rim and leak without any visual clues.