Review: Tommy Jack

Shinleung

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I have received my 'Tommy Jack' I bought from eBay few days ago.

Here are some pics:

View attachment 27434

It's idea was good but is it really useful? It depends.

I have a kinda shiny/slippery garage floor, so, when I use the Tommy Jack to lift my rear wheel, the side tends to SKID AWAY from me and it wouldn't lift the rear wheel.

I ended up had to put a large enough cardboard that is long enough for both the side stand and the rear wheel are on it.

View attachment 27432

There was another problem is that the 'swing arm support rod' as I call it, was a bit too long that it would sometimes touch the rear rotor and I had a few sketches on it when I wasn't used to using that stand.

View attachment 27435

The stand was not too expensive, so, decide yourself if this is a good investment.

View attachment 27433

P.S. I would never change my tyre on that stand.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not crazy about it -- I guess the advantage over the rear wheel stand is portability. I think retail is ~$60 and I think you can get an ok rear stand for that price. But this is probably easier to take on a trip.

Slips on a smooth garage floor? not good. But if you're on the road, the parking lot is probably not smooth so it's probably ok for that.

I guess for FZ6, you can remount your center stand (if done loosely, doesn't take too long) instead of getting a rear stand. I'm assuming you removed your center stand as I did (when I had my FZ6). But again, lugging that heavy center stand is not as easy as bring this little gadget.

I think the advertisements just talk about chain lubing and not wheel removal. I'm with you -- I wouldn't remove my rear wheel using that thing.

Hopefully, you got a good price on ebay -- so use it a couple of times to lube the chain and you've gotten the value out of it.

Dennis