Michelin Power Pure 26/03/10

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Got a front put on today, and scrubbed it in tonight on the way home from work. No worries scrubbing in, and all I can say is, "WOW!" Never had one of the Michelin sticky 2CT's before. Only Power 1 ct's and Pilot Road 2 CT's.

This front tire was so sticky for me once scrubbed in that I found my rear BT016 fishtailing and sliding bigtime. It was doing it a bit before, but it was very pronounced tonight. The 016 was balled up and gooey as when I was done. It seems like the Power Pure is a bit stickier than the Bridgstone BT016, so I was going a fair bit harder. Hence the tail wagging.

Have to see how mileage is but I expect it will be pretty good considering.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see a rear Pilot Pure in your future Mikey!

Thanks for the ride report, been hanging to know what your verdict would be...should i re-think on the BT003's?

:thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I see a rear Pilot Pure in your future Mikey!

Thanks for the ride report, been hanging to know what your verdict would be...should i re-think on the BT003's?

:thumbup:

Reckon you'll get more miles from The Pures, but dunno for sure.

Still. Good problem to have. This great tire, or this one....lol.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Anyone else used the Pures? I can't stand them. They understeer like I've never encountered on my bike. Compared to the stock 020s (which never warm up) the turn in is slow and requires effort. The grip is sensational, but the lack of steering is crazy. It also doesn't track as well (perhaps due to the slick centre?)

We've had a couple of customers come back to the store to give feedback, and recently an R1 rider experienced the same as what I am.

Anyone want some near new Pures!? I'm at a loss, not sure if it's the profile or what. Michelin rep reckons the lighter weight might affect the handling characteristics but I expected it would only be in a god way, not bad.

BTW it's a serious offer, if anyone is in Sydney and wants to try them, mine have about 800kms on them. Would be asking like $330pr.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! That's a good price. They wear really well, so they'll only just be scrubbed in.

Really sorry to hear of your woes with these tires. I'm really enjoying them but different bike, and rider, and you really need a tire you like to be comfortable. Better to ditch something you don't like than the alternative.

Just out of curiosity.....What profile rear have you got? I'm on a 55 series, and the FZ1 standard has a 50 series, so it probably helps with flicking it over. Maybe I wouldn't be so happy if I had the 50 series...hmmm...food for thought.

If you wanted to get the taste of a bad tire out of your mouth, I can whole heartedly recommend the BT003's for the FZ6. You won't get a lot of kays out of them, but they suit the bike perfectly for sports riding, and they do last reasonably well.:rockon::rockon:

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it's strange that they work for some (you) and not me. It's a 55 series on the rear. Are you running around 36/38psi combo? Maybe I need to just bump it up a bit and try 38/40....

But yeah I've run wide on many corners (still within the lane but leaving no buffer) and prefer to rectify it than end up on the wrong side of the road.

90% of my riding is commuting, although I like to have a tyre that works best for scratching, and cop the extra wear on the commute. Also need to factor in the odd track day. 003s look great but maybe a bit too much on the sporty side? I was contemplating the Diablo Rossos....anyone reading this tried them?

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah it's strange that they work for some (you) and not me. It's a 55 series on the rear. Are you running around 36/38psi combo? Maybe I need to just bump it up a bit and try 38/40....

But yeah I've run wide on many corners (still within the lane but leaving no buffer) and prefer to rectify it than end up on the wrong side of the road.

90% of my riding is commuting, although I like to have a tyre that works best for scratching, and cop the extra wear on the commute. Also need to factor in the odd track day. 003s look great but maybe a bit too much on the sporty side? I was contemplating the Diablo Rossos....anyone reading this tried them?

I run 32/36.5 summer and 34/38 winter.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good to know. I have a pair coming in the mail. They will be on for about a month's worth of trackdays. Then I'll take em off and get some Road2's on there for the big ride out west.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK. Off the bike now, and time for a write up.

First impressions. Nice and sticky on warm roads.

The usual Michelin story of not really wanting to heat up on very cold roads.

After 1800km, or just over 1000miles, the section of the tire just beside the hard compound cap was spooned out, causing a "two shoulder drop off" when tipping in. Once rolling off the hard cap onto the dip, and then off the dip, onto the very steep edge. This combined with the cold roads, made for some terriffic slides. Must've really looked spectacular. No squirm....just let go completely. The front, held on fortunately, as it wasn't spooned out.

The tread pattern is probably pretty good in the centre for water dispersal (didn't get to really test them in deep water), but it causes tramlining on patches, and also when you're in a medium lean, which really sux...lol.

Also the tread pattern, like the Pilot Road 2ct, has a lot of treads close together radiating out to the edge of the tire. If you go hard on the them, the rear edge burrs upwards, and tends to cause them to roll, and squirm (not what you want on the front). This makes the last thousand km from the front a little confidence sapping.

I got 4200 km/2600 mi from the rear, on the FZ1, and about 1000km more from the front. Were both fully at the wear markers before replacing, but only in the spooned out section on the rear. Could've gotten another thousand out of them if the capping was wider like the Pilot Power 2ct.

If you are looking at a commuting/twisty/track tire, I reckon the Pilot Power 2ct is going to be a better tire.

I won't be getting these again....and they were more expensive than a set of BT003's.

I definitely prefer the BT016's, even if they wear a little quicker. At least they stay the same throughout the life of the tire, and warm up on cold roads.

rpereira

Reaction score
Visit site
hey Hump whilst you say the Z6 is great what about it on a FZ6 or there other tires (That is Metzeler tires)

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll toss out a suggestion here. My FZ6 usually ends up with my gixxer 600 track day\race bike take off's after I've worn out the sides. But, from my experience, almost always, you need to make some suspension changes when going from one tire to another. Now, of course, the FZ6 has very little adjustments. But for example, if the new tire, whatever it is, won't turn in, or is too quick to turn in, maybe play with the sag or drop or raise the forks. Maybe change rear pre-load. Give it a try before you totally nix a particular tire. Also, maybe play with the presssure a little.

BTW, I've got a set of Power Pure's ready to go for a double track day next weekend. That's why this thread caught my eye.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll toss out a suggestion here. My FZ6 usually ends up with my gixxer 600 track day\race bike take off's after I've worn out the sides. But, from my experience, almost always, you need to make some suspension changes when going from one tire to another. Now, of course, the FZ6 has very little adjustments. But for example, if the new tire, whatever it is, won't turn in, or is too quick to turn in, maybe play with the sag or drop or raise the forks. Maybe change rear pre-load. Give it a try before you totally nix a particular tire. Also, maybe play with the presssure a little.

BTW, I've got a set of Power Pure's ready to go for a double track day next weekend. That's why this thread caught my eye.

No probs turning in. Turns in just fine out of the box. It's only after they are a little worn that they suck...lol.

Michelins are usually very touchy about pressures, so I stay on top of them. Started out using my usual pressures 32/36.5. Went up for the cold roads to 34/38. Then came back down again. Then went 30/33. I really did try to make these things work. Also got a new shock just after I got these tires, so all the sags were all freshly set.

I went through a set of tires on my FZ6 every 6 weeks for 15 months. I've gone through 6 or 7 sets on my FZ1 thus far, and these tires are the worst tires I've had, except the OEM BT020's and the Dunlop Sportmax thing that was on the FZ1 when I got it and the ZR7 I rode in between the FZ's.

Put the BT003's on after setting up my suspension using the Michelins, and they feel perfect. The suspension setup is sweet as....Definitely going Bridgestone from here on in. Need to get a puncture repair kit though, 'cause they are more prone to staking...lol...can't win 'em all.

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hey Hump whilst you say the Z6 is great what about it on a FZ6 or there other tires (That is Metzeler tires)

I can only speak for my Z6's on my XJR at the moment but I have a mate with a Honda Valkyrie who swears by their cruiser tyres aswell :thumbup: I have never heard/read a bad review of them & am hearing awesome things about the new Sportec M5 range for those who do a bit of track work :thumbup: Give them a go mate , i doubt you will be disappointed :D

Metzeler Sportec M5 Interact Tire Review - Street Tires Review - Motorcycle USA

Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact Tire Review - Street Tires Review - Motorcycle USA

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thought you guys may be interested in this. The suppliers have done some extended testing of the Pilot Pures and offered this response to the continued feedback of their poor handling.

After weeks of set up I have finally worked out the right combination for the power pures to work effectively for street use.

The feed back that has been received over the past few months has been that the tyres walk on there own tread pattern and the tyres do not provide any confidence when entering and exiting corners.

The solution to the problem is quite simple as I have found that if the rider reduces:

• The rebound on the front by 1 to 2 clicks and 2 clicks on the rear
  • The compression on the front by 1 click and 1 click on the rear.
  • The tyre pressure to 32 psi

Obviously this doesn't help us since we don't have access to the requisite suspension adjusters :(

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Obviously this doesn't help us since we don't have access to the requisite suspension adjusters :(

Well now you see , if you rode a super tough , FZ6 beating XJR :drool: then you would be able to make such adjustments :BLAA: like i can :rof:

I think i'll stick to the perfect Metzelers though :thumbup:

seb101

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Michelins Power 2CT's for over a year now, they've been swapped around 10k and now they are at 25k, as far as the wear goes you can see a flat spot right in the midle of the back tire (bike is usually riding around the city + highway, ocassionally some twistys).

Last year, right after the change from bt020s, we've been to Croatia (about 3k on the highways, then twiesties on hot and really good (agresive) tarmack).

This year we've been in Italy and on Corsica (about 5,5k overall, about 3,5 on highways) and i can tell you as a "softer" tire it's holding on. The back will probably have to be changed during the winter as the midle will go to the min. marks. The tire itself got some heavy abusege on the edges while we're riding in Corsica, air temps above 30C, constant sun, agresive tarmack and corner after corner, after 11 hours ride trhu the day and around the island the both sides got really hot but and even tho i did try to make it slipp it just didn't want to it was holding like mad.

I love the feel of Power 2CT, i've had it on the front on my suzuki bandit and it was just awesome as it is on the fz6 :) even tho they are pricy i will sure get them as this ones will wear out.
About the same time (and same trips as he was riding into the same places with us) a buddy changed tires to road 2ct on his suzuki sv1000 (l-twin, more torque) and his tires look about the same as ours even tho road 2ct's are made from harder compund.

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been using Michelins Power 2CT's for over a year now, they've been swapped around 10k and now they are at 25k, as far as the wear goes you can see a flat spot right in the midle of the back tire (bike is usually riding around the city + highway, ocassionally some twistys).

Last year, right after the change from bt020s, we've been to Croatia (about 3k on the highways, then twiesties on hot and really good (agresive) tarmack).

This year we've been in Italy and on Corsica (about 5,5k overall, about 3,5 on highways) and i can tell you as a "softer" tire it's holding on. The back will probably have to be changed during the winter as the midle will go to the min. marks. The tire itself got some heavy abusege on the edges while we're riding in Corsica, air temps above 30C, constant sun, agresive tarmack and corner after corner, after 11 hours ride trhu the day and around the island the both sides got really hot but and even tho i did try to make it slipp it just didn't want to it was holding like mad.

I love the feel of Power 2CT, i've had it on the front on my suzuki bandit and it was just awesome as it is on the fz6 :) even tho they are pricy i will sure get them as this ones will wear out.
About the same time (and same trips as he was riding into the same places with us) a buddy changed tires to road 2ct on his suzuki sv1000 (l-twin, more torque) and his tires look about the same as ours even tho road 2ct's are made from harder compund.

You have the Pilot Power 2CT no doubt. I've not heard too many complaints about them.:thumbup:

The Power Pure 2CT are the ones giving people troubles:(.

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
I've had the power pures on for most of the season and I love them, I moved from Dunlop QII. I went through 2 rears last year on the QII. I think the power pure are better for street, the dunlop better for track. The dunlops performed as well as the power pures but had a third the life, so far. :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
FYI.....I now have a set of the Pures on my bike. Currently around 5000 miles. I ran the traditional 2CT's for the past two sets, last one lasted me 17,600 miles and the other set almost 17,000, as it was retired prematurely due to a nail.

You can read and see the pictures of the past two sets by doing a search in the Tire Tech area of the forum.