Top gun competition

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APKEnCLElU&NR=1]YouTube - OCTOA - Orange County Traffic Officers Association Annual Motor Rodeo 2009[/ame]

Motorcycle cops competing in the game of follow the leader.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Thanks for sharing.

It was most impressive to me that the competition came down to 'checking' the other rider..... every rider had fantastic control of their bike.

The one area I think a motor patrol officer's training will get them in serious trouble. Using your bike (and yourself) to block another vehicle's path is a sure way to get injured. Training to do just that will imprint that behavior on those motor officers, and the odds are good they will try that with some meth head somewhere.

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
The one area I think a motor patrol officer's training will get them in serious trouble. Using your bike (and yourself) to block another vehicle's path is a sure way to get injured. Training to do just that will imprint that behavior on those motor officers, and the odds are good they will try that with some meth head somewhere.

if it is part of their training then i agree. but if you're referring to the video i don't think that was training. that was playing. just some guys who ride bikes seeing who could mess the other one up. i was absolutely amazed.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
if it is part of their training then i agree. but if you're referring to the video i don't think that was training. that was playing. just some guys who ride bikes seeing who could mess the other one up. i was absolutely amazed.

It's a very fine line between playing, and training.... you can't play at that level without a lot of practice (which is training, formal or informal).

There was one officer who really started the zero speed herky jerky start stop stuff, and he 'got' a number of officers with the start/stop stuff before the 'checking' started. Not sure if he ended up coming in second, but that's where I think I saw him 'place'.

He 'raised the bar'.... and you can bet that there will be a lot more of that in the next year's competition. Not 'drity'; not in the conventional sense.... competition is more than that.

You can't turn that sort of mind set on and off..... it's the same sort of deal with relying on a loud horn, or loud pipes, bright clothing..... once you think it's possible that you are invincible, the unwarranted risks start happening. Maybe you get lucky. Maybe you get viewed as 'heroic'.

The LEO in the Netherlands........ the video of him planting his bike in the path of a car? This is where that sort of thinking starts.

just my .02

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It's just a competition.

I'm sure most of the officers who ride a bike will use good judgement, and understand that a bike, even a police bike with all the flashing lights won't provide the most effective way to stop traffic in certain conditions.