How I celebrated graduating.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
"How my jacket caught on fire" by Jason B. AKA Chupacabra

After I arrived in my hometown from Austin at around 1:30pm, I wanted to stop by the church I went to and visit. The pastor asked if I needed anything and I said a shower would save the day. Remember, Texas at the end of June is 99-102 degrees daily. We chatted for another hour or so and caught up with one another before I was heading to my friend Brian's job. He works about 25 minutes from the church and I was meeting him at 5.

It was super duper duper duper hot and since we were heading to the Astros game that night, I didn't want to be wearing hot and sweaty clothes and smell gross, so I secured my jacket (or so I thought) on my Ogio tailbag and headed out from the church.

The time was about 3:45 when I left and I decided to ride through old neighborhoods on the way to Schlumberger (Brian's job) to burn time. Needless to say, time wasn't the only thing I was burning on the way.

I pulled up to the intersection of Grand Parkway and Highway 90 in Sugar Land to see a Texas DPS Officer on the left. The light turned red and I naturally stopped and glanced over at the officer next to me. His cowboy hat and my helmet made eye contact and then the cowboy hat quickly pivots to focus on the back of my FZ6. So, I then whip my helmet back and see heavy black smoke billowing from my bike. I turn around and kill the bike and his window is now rolled down-

He shouts "I THINK IT'S ON FIRE!!!"

I shout "ME TOO!?!"

I put the kickstand down and get off the bike and run to the back and see that my jacket slid onto the exhaust and hit the metal muffler so I grab the sleeves and lift the coat up so the neckhole is facing me...ORANGE FLAME greets me, so I throw the coat on the ground and start stomping it out. Officer Robinson starts stomping with me and the jacket is laying on highway 90, smoldering but not on fire any longer-

He looks to me and says "Are you alright?"

I respond "I'm fine"....

Officer "Man, I'm glad, I thought you were going to blow up, then we'd have a real mess"

I laugh and thanked him for his help

Officer "Wow, that jacket looks expensive"

Me "It was"

He offered to recollect our thoughts at the nearby McDonald's so I tossed the crumpled and warm leather in the back of his squad car and we went to the parking lot and talked for a few minutes and I told him about my trip. He looked at me like I was crazy for riding the FZ6 from MN especially at the end of June, and let me know if I needed anything to give him a call. When I explained I was from the area and back to visit, he chuckled and said "What a welcoming ceremony you just had?!"

Officer Eric G. Robinson, you represent what being an gentleman truly is. He departed and I rode home with a (somewhat) wearable jacket.

Oh I forgot on the first post, the trip total was 3032 for mileage

I was able to ride with a Corbin and my trusty AirHawk 2.
DSC01996.jpg
Brilliant trip, great story, thanks for sharing.
Nelly

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on The graduation, bike and trip! I met Krid80 last year when they were all riding out this way.
I was in suspense on the jacket fire! LMAO! Thought maybe you had a leaky can of "Texas Whipass" that got on the jacket! :rockon:
Great write up!

Last edited:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It worked amazingly well. ZERO buffeting at 80-90 mph and no need to tuck throughout the entire trip.

Bug deflection was adequate, but I'm 6'2" and I would say another inch would prevent this from happening:
DSC01986.jpg

If you mean an inch shorter, it still happens! LOL! I'm 5'10" and I get some bugs too. I have not put it back on since I got my FZ1 bars.

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I was in suspense on the jacket fire! LMAO! Thought maybe you had a leaky can of "Texas Whipass" that got on the jacket! :rockon:
Great write up!

I just spilled a can of "Oh $#IT, I'm stupid for not sweating versus destroying my jacket" on it...I heard they sell it at Walmart

Haha, people of Walmart...
2975.jpg

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a great trip, to bad you had to put up with this record setting houston heat!

Thanks for sharing and Congrats on graduation.

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like a great trip, to bad you had to put up with this record setting houston heat!

Thanks for sharing and Congrats on graduation.

It was much worse in Dallas actually...I couldn't believe how hard the sun beat down on you in comparison to Houston. At least with H-town, there is a little muggy breeze from the gulf.

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd love to go to East St Louis at night!

I hear nightclubs there protect the citizens by handing them a first-aid kit and a Beretta PX4 .45cal...:scared:

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Next Time when you come down we will all have to get together again, maybe go see a concert at the Pagent or something.

PS: that picture with all three of us, can send me a bigger one so I can use it as a wallpaper. Thanks or just give me a link to one you may have uploaded on a URL that's a bigger size. Thanks! I did check photobucket, but they get a little pixelated still.

Last edited:

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
Next Time when you come down we will all have to get together again, maybe go see a concert at the Pagent or something.

PS: that picture with all three of us, can send me a bigger one so I can use it as a wallpaper. Thanks or just give me a link to one you may have uploaded on a URL that's a bigger size. Thanks! I did check photobucket, but they get a little pixelated still.

For shizz...btw, my dealership is letting me ride a K8 GSX-R600 since my front tire is cupped. :Flip: Dios Mio, it is F A S T!

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on graduation. Good luck on your future career! Thanks for the ride report. Another funny story on the fourm. :rof::rof: Life can be funny. Ride safe and what's the new coat look like?

Chupacabra

College Graduate??
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations on graduation. Good luck on your future career! Thanks for the ride report. Another funny story on the fourm. :rof::rof: Life can be funny. Ride safe and what's the new coat look like?

Thank you for the encouragement! I haven't bought a new coat, we only have about 3-5 weeks left of riding this year so buying now won't make too much sense.

However, I have my eye on this:

GP_R_LTH_JKT_WHT_BLK_PERF_detail.jpg

Or this:

taichi_gmx_motion_lthr_jkt_gunmetal_400.jpg

The problem with the RS Taichi is I don't get any type of deal vs the Alpinestars coat. And sizing I'm kinda unfamiliar with on the RS Taichi, even though I've watched tons of sizing videos of their gear.