Integrated LED tail light for brake/flashers: safe?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I do like the look of the integrated LED tail lights that incorporate a gazillion LED's, which flash one half of the red tail light amber when activated.
Question is, how safe are they? Do people following recognize the flashing amber light as a directional indicator (and the direction indicated) or do they simply see a confusing flashing amber light that registers nothing with them...

W

wrightme43

light that registers nothing with them...

I think thats with everything on a bike.
I kept my stock signals with a FZ6SPORTBIKERIDER fender elim kit, but I dont know that it does any good to use them. The people that pay attention notice them, but those arent the ones to worry about anyway. Or maybe I am just very negitive this month. It could be that. LOL

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I have only heard poor reviews of those 'Clear Alternatives' All in One tail lights. Most say that they are damn near invisible during the day.

You would probably be better off replacing the stock brake light bulb with a brighter, multi-LED one and adding additional LED brake lighting to the rear of your bike and keeping your stock turn signals if you main concern is high visibility. Also, I don't believe the all in one unit is DOT approved so it's illegal if you want to get technical (never stopped me from modding my bike.... ;)

I use a 30 LED brake light from SuperBrightLEDs.com
1156-r30.jpg

I added some LED brake light clusters from LP. Nice and bright, helps attract extra attention and keeps a nice, clean look to the bike:
DSCF1772.JPG

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I think thats with everything on a bike.

Heh heh...no kidding.

wrightme43 said:
I kept my stock signals with a FZ6SPORTBIKERIDER fender elim kit, but I dont know that it does any good to use them. The people that pay attention notice them, but those arent the ones to worry about anyway. Or maybe I am just very negitive this month. It could be that. LOL

I've also kept my stock signals with my FZ6sportbike rider FE kit. The rears don't look too bad actually, as the FE kit brings them into the bike a little closer. I may replace the fronts with LED's, but I think I'll just leave the rear lights stock.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I have only heard poor reviews of those 'Clear Alternatives' All in One tail lights. Most say that they are damn near invisible during the day.

I was following a Triumph Speed Triple the other day in my car, and he had the Clear Alternative tail light. It wasn't too bad, but I agree...it wasn't that visible at all, and it wasn't a sunny day. (Duh...Richmond in January :p )

Boneman said:
You would probably be better off replacing the stock brake light bulb with a brighter, multi-LED one and adding additional LED brake lighting to the rear of your bike and keeping your stock turn signals if you main concern is high visibility. Also, I don't believe the all in one unit is DOT approved so it's illegal if you want to get technical (never stopped me from modding my bike.... ;)

1156-r30.jpg

I added some LED brake light clusters from LP. Nice and bright, helps attract extra attention and keeps a nice, clean look to the bike:
DSCF1772.JPG

Actually, you're right...I am concerned with visibility from the rear...I've nearly been rear-ended in my car so many times, I constantly watch for it on my bike when I'm stopped at a light. I like the 30 LED brake light and extra LED brake light clusters that you've installed....that may be my next winter project. :thumbup: :)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
You can also get some really nice LED licence plate holders that have additional brake lights built into them. License Plate Frames These are really slick!

These guys have TONS of really cool LED lighting options for motorcycles: Custom Motorcycle Lights - Custom Dynamics

I aslo added additional rear LED signal strips to enhance my rear turn signals:

DSCF3246.JPG

I did this beacuse I will eventually be losing the stock rear signals when I mount the Two Bros exhaust (it comes with it's own FE kit and mini signals)

Write up and how to here: Boneman's "FAZED" web site - Mods: Rear LED Amber Signal Strip Lighting

Last edited:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the great links to LED lighting...what a great selection.
Oh, btw...I am also planning on installing a "sportier" exhaust, but cannot bring myself to spend the best part of a grand on the excellent Two Bros system, so will probably go with either Scorpions or Leo's. Bayside Performance seems have the best prices around for stuff here in the Lower Mainland.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
a friend of mine has a gixxer 1000 and he has something similar and you cannot see his signals at all. also i have heard that if you have signals(not mandatory in FL) they must be 8 or 9 inches apart to be legal....just some food for thought. led's would be better but not at the expense of a ticket. if you want to keep people off your butt get a flame thrower out the rear!

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
a friend of mine has a gixxer 1000 and he has something similar and you cannot see his signals at all. also i have heard that if you have signals(not mandatory in FL) they must be 8 or 9 inches apart to be legal....just some food for thought. led's would be better but not at the expense of a ticket. if you want to keep people off your butt get a flame thrower out the rear!

The FL section of SBN had a discussion on this, I'll try and find it again. The they said there that minimum distance as 14" (note how wide the signals are stock). Also if the bike is fitted with signaling equipment it must be used.
That needs clarification. Does it still count if you remove the lights? The switch, timer, and wiring is all still there.... Even in such and event, you must still use hand signals.

Frankly, I keep my thumb on the control pad right between the horn and the signals at all times. Its easier for me to move my thumb than my entire arm to signal a lane change.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have ridden behind a few people with the clear alternatives lights and they are horrible IMO. I could barely see when they were braking, let alone when they were turning and braking... My vote would go to un-safe for daytime use.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site

1156-r30.jpg

DSCF1772.JPG

Well, I can say with some authority that the "all in one" tails aren't illegal - at least in USA. My 2006 GSXR 600 came stock with "all in one" tail and integrated rearview/flashers up front.

The next question is would you be more visible with lights on stalks like FZ OEM than "all in one". Maybe. A well designed "all in one" should be pretty close in visibility. (Though I've seen some that really suck.) I do think Boneman is right on that more lights are better - up to a point :D People who put on itty bitty (or otherwise weak) signal lights are just taking on more risk. I ride a lot and sometimes that means at night or in the rain or BOTH :( I want all the visibility I can get. I'm going to add Boneman's LEDs to my "todo" list.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Gosh...I forgot all about this thread that I started. I did purchase and install a Clear Alternatives combined tail/brake/flasher LED light unit a couple of months ago. I was concerned about the visibility of the flashers more so than the brake light. The flashers actually look more green than orange in daylight, but are very orange at night. My son followed me on his bike and told me that the tail light is so bright that he thought my brake was on all the time, so no worries there. Just to put my mind at rest, I also installed a separate set of rear LED flashers in place of the OEM flashers to supplement the CA flashers. That works quite well and is quite visible. I don't have a photo of the lights actually operating, but here's a pic of the CA light with the extra LED flashers anyway:-

Luggage3.jpg

I was also concerned about the visibility at the front since installing the Watsen LED flush flashers, so I installed the R1 pod lights with orange bulbs as running lights. It really lights up the front of bike in combination with the dual headlight mod and I'd really recommend it:-

PodLights.jpg

jerdman89

wait... what goes here?
Reaction score
Visit site
Gosh...I forgot all about this thread that I started. I did purchase and install a Clear Alternatives combined tail/brake/flasher LED light unit a couple of months ago. I was concerned about the visibility of the flashers more so than the brake light. The flashers actually look more green than orange in daylight, but are very orange at night. My son followed me on his bike and told me that the tail light is so bright that he thought my brake was on all the time, so no worries there. Just to put my mind at rest, I also installed a separate set of rear LED flashers in place of the OEM flashers to supplement the CA flashers. That works quite well and is quite visible. I don't have a photo of the lights actually operating, but here's a pic of the CA light with the extra LED flashers anyway:-

Luggage3.jpg

I was also concerned about the visibility at the front since installing the Watsen LED flush flashers, so I installed the R1 pod lights with orange bulbs as running lights. It really lights up the front of bike in combination with the dual headlight mod and I'd really recommend it:-

PodLights.jpg

what brand are the rear LED flashers they look really good