Scorpion Sync Tires

Y

yukon_alex

Have any of you used the Pirelli Scoprion Sync tires on your FZ6? These are the same tires as the Buel Ulysses and the Ducati MultiStrada come with from the factory. Why, you ask?

I live in the Yukon and the roads are somewhat more abrasive and often covered in more sand and gravel than roads down south and are very hard on tires! I know that we are not unique in the way roads are built so I was hoping that someone from a rural area in the rest of Canada might have had some experience with them. Of course, any other tire suggestions would be welcome!

Moderators: If this should go somewhere else, please let me know...I'm new!

Alex

H

HavBlue

The tire you get on a factory bike is generally built as cheap as possible to get the job done and the same holds true for cages. The same model tire bought in the open market is often different in many ways including tread design. I have had great luck with the Pirelli product on the cages. I use the Continental Road Attack on the FZ6 and the Conti Milestone on the Harley.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the Continental Road Attack on the FZ6 and the Conti Milestone on the Harley.

What prompted you to put the Conti Road Attacks on your FZ6? I'm seriously considering them myself (along with the usual suspects) as Continental tires have always had a stellar reputation in Europe.
My bike has the Dunlop OEM's which only have about 2500 km's on them so far, but I would like a premium tire on my FZ6 rather than the lowest-bidder tire. ;)

H

HavBlue

What prompted you to put the Conti Road Attacks on your FZ6? I'm seriously considering them myself (along with the usual suspects) as Continental tires have always had a stellar reputation in Europe.
My bike has the Dunlop OEM's which only have about 2500 km's on them so far, but I would like a premium tire on my FZ6 rather than the lowest-bidder tire. ;)

Had a friend with a Buell lightning that was running them. Then, read an article in one of the moto mags where the riders happened to run into an area of their ride with marbles (small gravel) and they claimed the tires were both predictable and forgiving. This was enough to suggest I at least try them as I was never pleased with the D252 OEM tires. Ordered the tires and had them put on. Wow!! they are everything my friend had told me and with the gravel I have on the roads around here those guys in the mag were right to. I had to launch the shoes on the Harley and went with the Milestones which I have also been pleased with. The attack tires are a soft compound and you are capable of leaving a good mark in the rubber with your fingernail when they are warmed up but when you later check the mark it's gone. They warm up quick too. Glad to here folks in Europe have had good luck with them too.

Ashley

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a set Dunlop D616's in my garage ready to go on my FZ6. I want them for the same reason as you.....rough, sand/salt covered roads. I ride all winter. These 616's are soft unlike a harder sport touring tire. They may not last as long, but can't be any worse than the stock D252's. I think the Scorpion's would be fine although they are more expensive than my D616's.($220 a set) Older model Ulysses's came stock with D616's and all the test reviews I have read about those were good. No mention of how bad the 616's were. I'll let you know how they are in a few weeks time.

Has anyone out there ever used them?

Ashley

Y

yukon_alex

I have been looking at the D616s as well. DennisKirk.com has the Scorpion's for $240 plus shipping. It's funny when I started looking for a new bike I went and checked out the Ulysses and I don't think it is any more off-road capable than the FZ6 but it does come with better tires for the road conditions I will enjoy in Yukon. I also looked at the Ducati Multistrada which comes with the Scorpions from the factory.

I agree that I probably can't go wrong with either the D616 or Scorpions.

Y

yukon_alex

All right! I bought the Pirellis and they are mounted. Went out for about 80km today and they are pretty impressive. Spent a little time on gravel and there was no juddering or shaking. I'll let you know as things go aong how they are. Photos later too! I really need to wash the poor FZ, it's covered in bugs.

BCFZRider

Reaction score
www.iwc-solutions.com
Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but could you provide a long-term review on the Scorpions? I'm looking for a touring tire that can handle a bit of gravel backroads as well. I have Michelin Pilot's on the bike right now, but where I live it has a higher chance of rain and dusty roads than where the previous owner rode the bike...

TheBrianJames

Reaction score
Visit site
I have these on my 07 and I think they rode well but the wear was horrible. 3600 miles or so and the center of the rear tire is almost bald. I don't ride off road really just commuting. Not really happy with these. The front still has good tread, just the rear wore out. I don't think these are built for hard riding or tearing up the canyons. Just my opinion.