Ride up to Prudhoe Bay, AK along Dalton Hwy...tips, thoughts?

Carpevelum

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone ever taken their FZ6 up the Dalton Highway to Prudhoe Bay, AK on the North Slope?

I recently moved to Anchorage, AK. I rode my 2009 FZ6 up from southern California all the way to Alaska along I-5 and the Alaska Highway (I highly recommend it if you haven't done it, but don't push for 6 days like I did!). My bike is stock everything and handled extremely well on frost heaves, and muddy, gravelly, and dirt roads.

I'm looking to ride up to Prudhoe Bay (aka Deadhorse), AK next summer. The Dalton Highway is paved part of the way, then gravel for a good 300 miles. The State waters the highway to prevent dust as well.

Based on my last trip, I've already learned that I need a more comfortable seat.

So:
Has anyone done it on their FZ6?

I've read that Harleys, Goldwings, and BMW's do it all the time. I imagine that the FZ6 can cope with it as well if a Harley can do it.

Are there any tires that anyone would recommend that are more for these conditions?

I have the stock tires on now in great condition. Alas, the many inches of snow have forced me to put my baby into storage.

Any general tips for dealing with dusty, wet conditions up there?

Dust can be a mild inconvenience or a huge problem. My bike got extremely dirty on the move, but travelled just fine. I've heard of people having problems with dust in the air intakes.

I'm considering adding another leg to the trip to continue onto the Top-of-the-World highway into Canada and the Dempster Highway up to Inuvik, NWT. Some advice on this would be fantastic.