Countersteering video

W

wrightme43

Video shot and produced by Ian J. from www.ninja250.com. He is a very smart guy, and this is a excellent video. [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C848R9xWrjc[/nomedia]

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That video did what three books and an MSF course couldn't do as well. Excellent find! Something I just learned is that countersteering initiates the turn, but you don't hold it throughout the turn, although I could swear that's what I do on a high-speed, moderate curve. As the video said, that's when it becomes almost imperceptible.

Reaction score
Visit site
Good video. In short, in order to go left, first push left (on the left grip). You'll wind up leaning left as a matter of course. This is much faster than just leaning left, which incidentally puts pressure on the left bar anyway. For the techno-nerds, you may want to do some study on gyroscopic precession. For the rest of us, just push in the direction you want to go. Thanks for the find.

S

sportrider

good video!!! it helps demonstrate what I've explained to new riders!!!

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice and easy explanation. Although there is a lot to the Gyro effect. Thats why you still have to apply the pressure through the turn to keep the bike turning, otherwise it (remember it is a gyroscope) will instantly straighten up!!
In one of the books they also explained that for fast turns (on tracks mainly) they talk about pulling in on the other side of the handle to make the lean quick and steep. In fact in copetitive scene they also talk about wightshifting on the foot pegs. (Either 'Twist of the wrist' or 'Total Control' not sure which one now but both are good and essential reads)
Now if anytone can post the any video for counterweight steering for slow turns that would be great. ...:):)

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday I noticed that I was doing this instinctively, but I had never really payed any attention to it, well at least I'm doing something right ;)