Rain Riding.

W

wrightme43

Here are some tips for riding in the rain.
I read in a book that I should get out and practice in the rain so that when the day came it started pouring and I just couldnt stop, that I wouldnt panic, and would feel more comfortable.

I also remember reading about a racer, he thought to himself, everybody hates to race in the rain, if I decide to like to race in rain, I will be able to be more relaxed, and probley win in the rain. He did.

The FZ6 does fine in the rain. Its just a bear to clean afterwards. LOL
http://www.sportrider.com/ride/146_9906_motorcycle_riding_rain/

fazter6

Reaction score
Visit site
Downpour riding

I agree that learning "under fire" is less desirable; but last winter I got caught in my first downpour. Before that I had only ridden in light rain. I was on a day trip and about 150 miles away from home when the skies just opened up. It poured for the whole 3 hour ride home and by the time I arrived at my house I had found out that the FZ handles the rain fabulously and my confidence in the bike has swelled.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
...I had found out that the FZ handles the rain fabulously

I will second that!

Last night was my second rain ride. The first was 20+ years ago on a Honda V45 Sabre and in comparison I can say I felt more secure on the FZ6. This might have something to do with tire technology or simply the design of the bike. As I remember the Sabre always felt loose [hydroplaning] on the front wheels.

Honestly, the only thing that bothered me was thinking about the cleanup. I didn't want my precious bike dirty. Oh Well, That's Life.

Last edited:

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
As my FZ6 is brand new, I haven't had to clean it yet. But, it looks a lot easier to clean than what I was riding. The Vstar 1100 had so many slots and little spaces your fingers would be bleeding after trying to get them all clean!!!!! Cleaning my son's ninja was simple compared to the Vstar. I am hoping the FZ6 will be as easy.:thumbup:

W

wrightme43

That looks like a bear to clean. LOL
My ninja was easier to clean than the FZ but it doesnt look as cool. LOL

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Rode about 2 hours on Tuesday this week in the rain - no problem.

Did about 250 miles yesterday, the last 80 or so miles in pretty persistent rain. The bike was fine - one scary moment when I came in to a traffic island too hot. However, my waterproofs just let go after about an hour. I was soaked to the skin when I got home. I can't understand how in 4 days the weather proofing has vanished.

Gonna have to look at re-proofing them, cos' if you don't ride in the rain here, you don't ride much at all :(

J

jeffm

I spent 4 hours riding back from Mid-Ohio in the rain some of it very heavy downpours. I didn't know how the bike was going to handle but as it turned out it was great under those conditions. So far the FZ6 has performed great under all condtions. This bike is a keeper!