how to mount instrument panel

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
I am going to buy this headlight View attachment 21209 and I dont know how I am going to mount the speedo after wards. is there a braket already in place or do I need to get creative and spend more money? I dont know why I cant figure out how everyone else is mounting their speedo.:rockon:

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
I used some steel strap that I painted black and mounted it to the bolts holding the gas tank down.. Its a temporary mount while I wait to get a new headlight and windshield set up..

Pros- Not mounting to the bars keeps the cluster stationary in front of you during turns..

Cons- Its kinda ugly and vibrates around while riding:)

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Get yourself a piece of metal strapping from ACE, Home Depot, where ever you want. Bend it in a U shape to fit between the back of the headlight. Attach the bent ends to the headlight brackets and bolt the cluster in the middle. I'm still looking for a shot of this underneath, it looks real clean if done properly.

View attachment 21214

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just realized that's the Acerbis headlight and not the one I had. Do yourself a favor and get this instead. It comes with a metal bracket instead of the rubber straps, and the lighting is better. I wasn't impressed with the projector beam on the Acerbis. Also change out the stock bulbs for something nicer. I had the Hella Xenon Blue bulbs and the output was great.

Last edited:

FazerNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if this will work for your set up but here goes: I use a dremmel to cut a T-shaped peice of metal, use the same screws and rubber washers that from the speedo and mounted it where I removed the metal cable guide (under the top of the triple tree). The work is prototype and it works nicely. I ziptied it just because I was guaging how things lined up.

AdamDJ

Reaction score
Visit site
This is where i got mine STREETFIGHTER HEADLIGHT HONDA SUZUKI YAMAHA KAWASAKI #4:eBay Motors (item 120456099304 end time Sep-04-09 21:00:00 PDT) much better light output then the Acerbis i went with PIAA H3 bulbs PIAA in mine and its the closest thing to driving with HIDS definitly worth the extra $$$ IMO

Im really starting to dig that headlight. Do you know what the diameter of the projectors is? I would like to swap them for some meant for hid so I can get that clean cut off line.. How is the output and cutoff for the stock ones? You have any pictures??
Thanks buddy!

ITSME

Reaction score
Visit site
I went to Amazon for my first set of clamps, and the one you see now i made up my self at work.[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK8G2C/ref=ox_ya_oh_product]Amazon.com: Slipstreamer 7/8" Bar Clamp Kit S-7/8-C: Automotive[/ame]

dimitre977

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
jmerch, I don't think ITSME's mount will work for you. The 06 doesn't have the same top clamp for the handle bars that the 07 does. I think I recall reading someone else with a 07 tried it and was unable to make it work. I just got done having a custom plate made that will attach under the triple tree. Once I get it back from being powder coated I will post up some pics (hopefully this week).

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know if this will work for your set up but here goes: I use a dremmel to cut a T-shaped peice of metal, use the same screws and rubber washers that from the speedo and mounted it where I removed the metal cable guide (under the top of the triple tree). The work is prototype and it works nicely. I ziptied it just because I was guaging how things lined up.

Thanks for this post, FazerNYC! I've been looking at tons of different ways to mount my speedo once I do my conversion this winter, and I think you've found a real winner (since I'll also be using the Buell headlight, this is a doubly good post for me).

Is the speedo pretty stable without the zipties holding it, or does it seem to vibrate a bit? I'm trying to figure out a way to stabilize it by using another bracket mounted to the top triple. Hmm...

FazerNYC

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for this post, FazerNYC! I've been looking at tons of different ways to mount my speedo once I do my conversion this winter, and I think you've found a real winner (since I'll also be using the Buell headlight, this is a doubly good post for me).

Is the speedo pretty stable without the zipties holding it, or does it seem to vibrate a bit? I'm trying to figure out a way to stabilize it by using another bracket mounted to the top triple. Hmm...

I can't take the credit for the general idea or design of the fabbed speedo mount as I saw it on SBN. Yes, it does vibrate a little but that's because I used a thin metal to test the design/placement. If you use a thicker or stronger material it will be stable (which I'm gonna do when I get the time).

Pay attn to two things if you're going to design one: first make sure you leave clearance to get you ignition key in/out, and second, the angle of the bend you make should allow the speedo not to touch the windscreen.

First try it out with thin metal for your template because strong metals take a lot of effort to cut with the dremmel.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome. Thanks for the tips and I'll keep that in mind.

I haven't looked under the top triple on mine yet, but I would assume there's only one screw holding that cable guide in place? If so, did you only use one screw to secure the speedo mount or did you drill and tap another hole in order to secure the mount better?

Man, I'm so ready to get going on this!