07 FZ6 competition

J

Japbiker

How would the 07 FZ6 compete against it's rivals? Also, what about the new Triumph Street Triple 675? Anyone know what the quarter mile times are of the FZ6 and it's competitors?

GConn

Squid hater
Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone says that the street triple is a much better bike overall. But that doesn't make the fz6 a bad choice. Every single comparo accuses the engine that is unwilling at low revs but that doesn't bother me. I like the easy going, no noise, forgiving throttle etc cruising at low revs. The FZ also lacks a few hps over the new rivals.

Also, the triumph, hornet and kawa Z (all of which come out of comparos as better bikes than fz) are not available with a front fairing as far as I know, so they would never make my short list.

If this is your first bike, PLEASE consider something smaller, if not just go ride them.

Hope this helps you out

mikebike

just a rider
Reaction score
www.crazyguyonabike.com
quarter mile speed comparisons will tell you which bike is faster with a track rider. I mention that because most of us will never get that kind of hole shot. I think there are a few others that should come into play like how will your backside feel after a 300 mile plus day? or is it still fun to look at when you have had it for a while and you walk thru the garage? Will it do the type of riding you desire to do?

Fast is fun ....but as long as it will hit 120 or so quickly --- how fast do you really need.

By the way for my criteria the answers are:
Feels fine
Still love it
does all I ask it to
hits 120 way too easy (as in early 4th)

shop compare and enjoy.:D

J

Japbiker

Everyone says that the street triple is a much better bike overall. But that doesn't make the fz6 a bad choice. Every single comparo accuses the engine that is unwilling at low revs but that doesn't bother me. I like the easy going, no noise, forgiving throttle etc cruising at low revs. The FZ also lacks a few hps over the new rivals.

Also, the triumph, hornet and kawa Z (all of which come out of comparos as better bikes than fz) are not available with a front fairing as far as I know, so they would never make my short list.

If this is your first bike, PLEASE consider something smaller, if not just go ride them.

Hope this helps you out

Well, this isn't my first bike. I used to have a Suz GSX-R750. I'm looking for something more comfortable, which I believe the FZ will deliver. I'm not that worried about the speed as long as it's not a dog, which from what I've read it's not. I was just curious how it compared to other bikes in the 600 class.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is from "What Bike" in the UK...

Honda Hornet (599)
Standing 1/4 Mile 12.15 at 114 mph
0 to 60 3.81 secs
0 to 100 8.39 secs
40 to 110 16.0 secs
in top gear
Top speed 137.4 mph

Suzuki GSR600
Standing 1/4 Mile 12.09 at 114.41
0 to 60 3.96 secs
0 to 100 8.93 secs
40 to 110 17.9 secs
in top gear
Top speed 135.56 mph

FZ6 S2 Naked
Standing 1/4 Mile 12.01 at 113.69
0 to 60 3.63 secs
0 to 100 8.35 secs
40 to 110 19.7 secs
in top gear
Top speed 132.94 mph
(the faired version goes onto 140mph plus)

Street Triple
Standing 1/4 Mile 11.93 at 117.14
0 to 60 3.69 secs
0 to 100 8.08 secs
40 to 110 12.8 secs
in top gear
Top speed 140.77 mph

The magazine write-ups never seem to favour the FZ6 despite it be there or there abouts, maybe that is the problem.

Last edited:
J

Japbiker

What's the difference b/w a standing quarter mile and an adjusted quarter mile?

J

Japbiker

This is from "What Bike" in the UK...

FZ6 S2 Naked
Standing 1/4 Mile 12.01 at 113.69
0 to 60 3.63 secs
0 to 100 8.35 secs
40 to 110 19.7 secs
in top gear
Top speed 132.94 mph
(the faired version goes onto 140mph plus)

The magazine write-ups never seem to favour the FZ6 despite it be there or there abouts, maybe that is the problem.

I found this on the net from "MCN" - bike reviews for Yamaha FZ6:

Specifications
Top speed 141mph
1/4-mile acceleration 11.6 secs

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sportrider

I cant believe nobody posted this!!!! the greatest competition for the 07 FZ6 is the 06 FZ6 MAN.... what are you guys thinking!!!! LOL:D

opds9091

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
great point, but i have to go with the 07 (and it's not because i have one:thumbup:) its because on our wind screen we have that little are that the wind can go threw and forces the wind to push the bike a little more :Sport:

Last edited:
J

Japbiker

It's the FZ6 for me all the way! It's fast enough and compared to the Street Triple, it has a more comfortable seating position. The foot pegs on the ST Triple are too far back, more like a sport bike, great for wheelies, but not great for cruising on the highway. Also, the ST Triple lacks adequate wind protection, which sucks on high-speed traveling. And then there is the reliability factor, which favors the Yamaha over the Triumph. Jap bikes are by far the most reliable! There hasn't been anything written bad about the ST Triple yet, because it's so new and there are no long term reviews out yet. Just wait, we'll see!

PS - The FZ6 also wins in the most passenger friendly category. As of the 07 model, the passenger foot pegs have been lowered and the seating area for a passenger is much more roomy than the ST Triple. My wife loves to ride on bikes, so the FZ6 will be my choice for many reasons.:thumbup: