Protect yourself and your family!

dfndr

Reaction score
Visit site
Most riders of nice bikes are responsible folks but many don't realize some important things about insurance that can really cause disaterous results.

When you buy liability insurance you insure anyone that you may injure through your negligence. So, if you have $100/300,000 liability auto or bike insurance, the OTHER guy gets the money if you are at fault.

What do you get if the other guy is at fault? If they are uninsured, unlicensed, illegal or have minimum insurance you get nothing or close to nothing. Many of the careless, drunk and unlicensed drivers causing injuries are uninsured or underinsured(especially in California and states with many undocumented aliens.) If you are seriously injured or killed your family is just out of luck and hurting.

What to do to protect yourself and your family? When buying insurance make sure you get high limit UNINSURED/UNDERINSURED insurance coverage. If a person without insurance or with inadequate insurance injures you, you can collect fair compensation under your policy from your company. In essence, you are buying coverage to protect yourself and your family from everyone else out there. This can cover medical bills, lost wages, loss of future earning ability, and loss of enjoyment of life.

Many companies writing motorcycle policies will only write them with no uninsured or underinsured coverage or with very low limits. They know you are a safe risk but they don't want to insure all the uninsured drivers that may cause you harm. YOU NEED TO PROTECT YOURSELF AND YOUR FAMILY FROM THE CRAZIES OUT THERE. DEMAND THAT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY GIVES YOU HIGH LIMITS ON YOUR UNINSURED AND UNDERINSURED COVERAGE.

If you demand it many companies will give you UM/UM coverage equal to your liabilty limits and may even let you buy a cheap umbrella policy to protect you futher. It is not that expensive and is a worthwhile protective investment.

Disclaimer: I am not an insurance guy. I am a lawyer who sees families without sufficient um/um coverage on motorcycle accidents all the time. It's a tragedy that doesn't have to happen.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fisrt thing I did when I bought my bike, I purchased a $100,000 life insurance policy. 2nd, I also bought supplemental insurance which essentially pays me directly what the costs were to be for the company insurance to pay out to get me fixed. Kind of like two for one. I would be able to use the money I receive from the supplemental insurance however I choose. LIke buying a new bike or etc.

Too bad there isn't some type of buddy system for life insurance for motorcyclist. You would each purchase the same amount, and list each other as the beneficiary. If for some unfortuanate reason your buddy dies, not necessarily from a bike accident, at least you get the money.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
When I informed the wife I was going to take my bike test (3 years ago, late starter at 33) I presumed she would have a heart attack and try and stop me but no. She just told me I had to have adequate insurance and that the mortgage would be paid off if I snuffed it!!!!!:thumbup:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody been reading about bike insurance in MCN? The basic premise is that if you have modified your machine in any way & not notified the insurer, your policy could be void. This includes mods as minor as non-standard spark plugs. So just think what you've done to your bike!

When I insured my bike earlier this year, I was asked what mileage I was likely to do, I guessed at less than 5000, I've done 6k in 5 months; notified the insurer & upped my limit to 25k per year - no increase in premium, but a 25 quid admin charge.

Most mods won't increase the premium, but each change will incur an admin charge. On the one hand you can't afford not to notify changes for fear of invalidating your policy on the other, it'll cost a fortune in charges. What a scam.

Insurance claims refused because of modifications - Motorcycle News - MCN