Me and a Dear.....

morrobaybum

Reaction score
Visit site
So i felt the need to share the story. My boss and I decided to go on a ride Thursday morning out because he wanted to show me some new roads that he discovered. After a hour of riding on some really fun twisties we decided that it was time to head back or we would be late for work. Now that I was feeling a little more confident on this road I volenteered to lead the way back, big mistake. I take off and 10 seconds later all I see it a bambi jumping right in front of me, with no time to really react I went full speed into the dear. Luckly I was able to keep the bike up and drug the dear for a few feet before it flew off the side. So I am freaking out and cussing up a storm as I get off my bike to find that the whole right side of the front fairing is smashed to hell. So after moving the dear off to the side of the road and cursing a little bit more we headed home so I could call the insureance company. Lucky for me when I called the insureance i found out that I only have a $100 deducible. So I just got back from dropping my bike off at the repair shop and hopefully I will be able to get it back within the next week or two.

S

sportrider

don't be too mad, your very lucky!!! so am I to bold to say you'll be selling some deer skin gloves soon?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went full speed into the dear. Luckly I was able to keep the bike up and drag the dear for a few feet before it flew off the side. ....

You should consider yourself lucky, my dad wrecked his car , some years ago now, by running into a deer in his cage. Total write off, just imagine.... on the other hand don't.

Anyway I'm up for a pair of mocasains ;)

S

sportrider

glad you are OK ....

the animal is spelled DEER not dear.... sorry it is the former principal in me
teacher!!! TEACHER!!! I spelled it right!!! can I have something from the prize box now? LOL J/K:D

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, there are 50,000 deer related collisions in the UK each year. My Missus had one in my car a few weeks ago. It jumped out of the hedgerow on the Greenham Common road and headbutted the side of the car (Mercedes-Benz therefore the deer perished). I dread to think what would happen to me and my bike at 100mph if a deer jumped out at the last minute....................

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dear oh dear(deer).

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaSEOaJ5phY[/nomedia]

(I'm spending much too much time on youtube)

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
First thoughts were....why is he going so slow.....on a road like that I would be at 100 in very few seconds......2nd thoughts......ooooh ****!. Still, if you had given it beans you wouldn't have hit it!

Mart Man FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Man, I can't believe how lucky that guy in the video was. He was hitting speeds over 80 MPH on that road. Any time you have a collision with a dear and you and your bike are still upright and in one piece (at least you anyway) you should consider yourself blessed. My brother is a cop in a mountainous area, and he said most cycle vs deer collisions don't go too well for the person on the cycle. I've had two deer jump in front of me and that was enough to scare the crap out of me.

morrobaybum

Reaction score
Visit site
thats so weird cause that video was almost exactly what happened to me. i wasnt going 80 but i was easily going 75 when i hit it. also the deer didnt get up and run off, if it had i would feel a little cheated.

Erik

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya man your super lucky.

Thats my biggest fear when riding in the dark or when its getting close to it.

wildboar613

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, consider yourself lucky. I hit a dog about a couple months ago, didn't fair as well as you. Went down, not much damage to the bike but tore the ACL in my right knee. Makes you gun shy everytime you see a dog within 50 feet of the road now.