Close call

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
6:00 am, beautiful weather (23C) i'm rushing to meet friends for an early ride.
Out of my parking, first stretch before a traffic light, i hit the 140kph :spank:

There is a traffic light and a right turn before it that i wanted to take.
Started to break from the 140kph, but the bike won't slow and the rear tire skids to the left. :eek:
released the break and again applying front then rear, with not much slowing down. it skids as if i'm on ice !!! :confused:

to late to turn, And the traffic light still Red, trucks are moving, and i decided to keep straight trying to stop before the red light.

But no use, the bike keep skidding and not slowing at all :don'tknow:

Thought for a second that this is the end and i have to let the bike go and i jump of, but i found a gap between 2 trucks. Apparently the driver of the 2nd truck saw all my action and slowed down.

Spotted the gap and i just pumped the gas and gone through the 2 truck, luckily it was only one lane occupied and not both lanes across.

Came out from the other side and phewwww... that was a close call. i'm there there was a guardian angel on duty.

Conclusion: I didn't go back to the traffic light, but i guess it was either the cold tires or there was something on the road.

What i learned today: Don't rush. Early mornings, there can be something new on the road. Don't speed.

thought to share and see your opinion, i'm a new rider and i really don't know if my analysis is right or wrong.

cheers

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, too early, too fast, wrong first brake application, not driving to conditions,did you down shift properly? etc. Remember what you learned!!

davidsa1

Naked is more fun.
Reaction score
Visit site
That early in the morning and that early into the ride you were definately going to fast. Learn from it and carry it with you. Glad you are still able to tell about it!

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, you are right, i'm glad i'm here to tell.
The good thing is to have people like you and drive with more experienced drivers who when i told them the story gave me the right bad talk that you guys are too nice to say here.

But really, i believe ridding is more about controling the Ego rather than the bike.
I did only 8000km on my bike and i thought i knew something but it seems i have to get to basics again.

The hot weather is coming and there will be no riding here. i think i'll need to grab couple of books and do some night practices again in a parking lot.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
damn.. good thing all worked out... yea, probably frozen morning dew... i agree next time slow down.. oh and check your tire pressure... i was having an awful time at any point of rear brakeing.. the whole back of the bike would fishtail... horrible experiance, but stopped at the gass station and filled up both tires... way better.. no more slidding.. so you might want to check that too :thumbup:

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Alanrim, you are right, we don't get frozen morning dew. "but this year we got frozen hail and it was like woooo"
but nowadays with humidity pumping up, sometimes roads are slippery right after the fog... when there is some.
LErecords, thanks for the advice, i'll check the tires pressure, didn't do that for long.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you were able to thread that needle safely. I had the back end of mine step out from behind me breifly this morning while it was misting. It's spooky stuff when rubber stops doing it's job...

Frostbite155

Reaction score
Visit site
When in such high speeds, the calipers are unable to deliver the same amount of friction to the brake discs because they go around so fast, which then again makes it harder to slow down.... i've been in your situation, and it is NOT fun :p Hate how the wheels start to skid before one can use enough force on the breaks to stop in time...

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
this year we got frozen hail and it was like woooo
Managed to miss the hail when I have been out in Dubai :) the other thing I can imagine being a PITA is the sand getting blown on the road overnight, this could make the roads like ice but you guys must be used to that I guess.

My lasting memory of the roads over there is the major fast road up to Abu-Dhabi with the massive speed humps across it in the middle of nowhere :confused:

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Managed to miss the hail when I have been out in Dubai :) the other thing I can imagine being a PITA is the sand getting blown on the road overnight, this could make the roads like ice but you guys must be used to that I guess.

My lasting memory of the roads over there is the major fast road up to Abu-Dhabi with the massive speed humps across it in the middle of nowhere :confused:

Well, don't know when was that, but that road now got a speed limit of 140kph in some areas but speed cameras gets you above 160kph.

We have great roads here, but also some bad drivers.

About the sand issue, well, we now hit twisties in the middle of the dessert an amazing twistie road. The bad part is the change of sand that moves overnight and.... Camels. :D

yoka

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you were able to thread that needle safely. I had the back end of mine step out from behind me breifly this morning while it was misting. It's spooky stuff when rubber stops doing it's job...

Glad you are ok and you are more skillful than me in getting back in control.

When in such high speeds, the calipers are unable to deliver the same amount of friction to the brake discs because they go around so fast, which then again makes it harder to slow down.... i've been in your situation, and it is NOT fun :p Hate how the wheels start to skid before one can use enough force on the breaks to stop in time...

I did some very high speed breaking, but never emergency stopps. What is your way of stopping quickly, or breaking hard?

Sorry but i got no proper training, it is not available in this part of the world :(