FZ6 Track Plastics?

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
I know Racer's Edge has the FZ6 Cup setup, but I was wondering if there was actually a full side fairing available for the FZ6. OR, do the new FZ6R's plastics fit an FZ6? Its such a new model I haven't been able to find anything out.

And as far as frame sliders go, I'd rather not have one catch on something, not break off, and end up damaging my frame anyway. And since there are about 25 different brands its impossible to get a straight answer for what would happen in a situation like that.

Trackdays are in my future and I'd rather lowside and gouge up plastic than my engine and frame. The cheaper the plastics the better. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks! :thumbup:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't comment on the plastics part, although I can suggest buying slightly damaged used fairing parts and using them for track use.

As far as frame sliders, good ones are made of a material that will grind down when they slide against the ground, and the bolts are a softer metal that will bend and take the force, instead of your bike taking the force.

If you wreck without sliders, either lowside or highside, you're going to have a lot of damage and a lot of potentional repairs. Then there's the risk of your frame cracking.

I have never seen any reports of frame damage from using frame sliders. and if there is, it's probably because they used cheap sliders or a bad material like metal.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never seen any reports of frame damage from using frame sliders. and if there is, it's probably because they used cheap sliders or a bad material like metal.

Actually, there's quite a lot of reports of damage due to frame sliders... they are great for straight-forward slow speed crashes on flat pavement, but throw in some obstacles and a hard crash and the sliders often end up cracking/damaging the frame... now the frame would probably be toast without them too in these cases, so I keep mine on even on the track :)

Never heard of track plastics for the FZ other than the Aussie cup stuff...

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are worried about your motor plastics will not do much of anything. Instead of buy a fairing what about true racing case covers from someone like Woodcraft? I'm 99% sure the older gen R6 ones will bolt right one. That and they are very, very, uber cool. And we all know that cool is what counts. ;) :thumbup:

View attachment 15322

Woodcraft-CFM :: Yamaha R6 03-05 Left Side Cover, Black (60-0445LB)
NICE! I'd forgotten stuff for the 04 R6 engine should fit ours! That may be on the cards for me later. Thanks.

I know Racer's Edge has the FZ6 Cup setup, but I was wondering if there was actually a full side fairing available for the FZ6. OR, do the new FZ6R's plastics fit an FZ6? Its such a new model I haven't been able to find anything out.

And as far as frame sliders go, I'd rather not have one catch on something, not break off, and end up damaging my frame anyway. And since there are about 25 different brands its impossible to get a straight answer for what would happen in a situation like that.

Trackdays are in my future and I'd rather lowside and gouge up plastic than my engine and frame. The cheaper the plastics the better. Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks! :thumbup:
Frame sliders are going to last a lot longer than the fairing sliding along the pavement. You'll just have to search around to find some soft ones you like. I'd avoid no-name brands. I love my R&G ones and the plastic/delrin (dont' know/care which) feels pretty soft) should hopefully just grind down rather than dig in if I crash. Haven't had to use them yet though - touch wood. Fairings won't offer much protection to the engine at anything above tortoise pace - and of course cost much more than sliders. I think you'll have to take your chances with the frame getting damaged though.

I've never actually heard it first person that a frame slider made damage to the frame worse. It almost seems like an urban legend. It's always a friend who heard a friend talking about it...

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok then, let's talk sliders. In the past I thought about getting LSLs because they didn't just look like big door stops hanging off the frame. Any reason why LSLs would be bad?

Jake

Reaction score
Visit site
You're kind of hijacking your own thread by changing the topic from plastics to sliders but....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/safety-equipment/14029-crash-test-gear-review.html

Read there for how the LSL's worked on my get-off. IMO Delrin sliders may have ground down further than the aluminum LSL's and may have allowed more grindage on the crankcase cover. In the end, something is better than nothing if you're considering sliders.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Racers edge are the only one's who do Fibreglass race panels...the best sliders are Oggy Knobs...the original, and the best....but may not be available outside Australia...i have crash tested them, and they work!

:rockon:

yoshiki

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are worried about your motor plastics will not do much of anything. Instead of buy a fairing what about true racing case covers from someone like Woodcraft? I'm 99% sure the older gen R6 ones will bolt right one. That and they are very, very, uber cool. And we all know that cool is what counts. ;) :thumbup:

View attachment 15322

Woodcraft-CFM :: Yamaha R6 03-05 Left Side Cover, Black (60-0445LB)
sorry for digging this old thread.. but have the similiar question as TS.

for the racers egde race fairing, i was told that 'different' handlebar is needed. y?
any1 can confirm engine casing for r6 03-05 is the same for our fz6?

thanks!

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sorry for digging this old thread.. but have the similiar question as TS.

for the racers egde race fairing, i was told that 'different' handlebar is needed. y?
any1 can confirm engine casing for r6 03-05 is the same for our fz6?

thanks!

Sorry, old thread again.... My wife works for woodcraft and has my FZ6 there today, they "Look" like they bolt right up, so if we can confirm that the internals are the same, then they will work. I might buy some and see if they fit for reals...