Stebel Horn

detpilot

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, can anyone post a great How-to for a Stebel horn? All the wiring seems overwhelming for me, especially the fact that you've gotta get the "wiring kit..."

I wouldn't even know where to start...

Thanks!

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a Stebel mate and I recommend throwing the relay and the instructions straight in the bin,the relay WILL fail ,happened to a few of us ,so I wired mine straight to the stockers wires , ditched the stock horn and haven't had a problem since.:thumbup:

My 0.02c

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As Soviet Robot said, it's really not all that difficult to wire in the stebel. I'm a real mental midget when it comes to wiring and things electrical and I managed to do it. Did you use the search function? I think it was boneman who did a write-up with a diagram. Check it out, I'm sure you can figure it out.

When I attached my stebel to the stock wires, without wiring in the relay that came with the horn, it blew out the fuse. Others have suggested/said that running the stebel without the relay can burn out the horn button. I don't want to test that theory. I've got the relay in place and it's working fine. So far...

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, can anyone post a great How-to for a Stebel horn? All the wiring seems overwhelming for me, especially the fact that you've gotta get the "wiring kit..."

I wouldn't even know where to start...

Thanks!

I bought the extra wiring kit too. I have the relay and it has not failed yet. A lot of the extra wires that come with the kit, you don't even use it, except for the heavier gauged wire. I used my existing positve and negative wires that hooked up directly to my stock horn and attached it to my Stebel. You may have to verify the wires to make sure which one is positive and negative with a meter. And I also cut the old connectors and attached fresh ones. This what I described is half the job.

You use the heavier gauge wire from the relay to the battery.

Placement of the horn and relay is a matter of personal choice. Some have mounted the horn inside the fairing, but that takes extra drilling or custom brackets. Some have installed it someplace else. I just simply mounted mine where my old horn was and used part of the existing wires. If it's too short, just add wires to it, which I think I did because I needed more slack. Get a longer 10MM screw to attach the new horn, as the stock screw will not be long enough to secure the horn. You will need some tye wraps to secure the extra wires and the relay, even after you cut the extra slack from the wires.

Take a look from my other thread I posted about my horn not working. I posted a pic where I mounted the horn.

Last edited:

eric76

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi i am gona to install my stebel horn DIY, everythings are ready just wanna confirm one thing here, for the ground wire (-) out from new horn, do u guys just hook to the stock horn ground or has to direct back to battery terminal? Cos i know current from new horn is quite big, thx

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just hooked mine up today. Wiring kit makes it very easy! I mounted it close enough was able to just hook stock horn wires to the relay then relay to the horn and battery. I used the negative on the battery for the negative off of the horn... I love this horn!!! I would recommend it to anyone and everyone!!! Not the easiest thing to mount I ended mounting it to the wire harness inside the left side of the fairing with zipties... Seems sturdy enough....