Insurance

keith2401

Reaction score
Visit site
A mate at work was saying that when he recently renew his motorcycle insurance he got a quote from a company then when he went another one and they said " did it include pillion passenger insurance " when he enquired it seems that if you do not have PPI, then carry one it voids you insurance ! Has anyone heard this before ??

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A mate at work was saying that when he recently renew his motorcycle insurance he got a quote from a company then when he went another one and they said " did it include pillion passenger insurance " when he enquired it seems that if you do not have PPI, then carry one it voids you insurance ! Has anyone heard this before ??

Sounds reasonable to me.

coursonap

Reaction score
profile.myspace.com
I dont know about there, but here in the states if you have full coverage insurance a passenger is covered. If you have liability only they are not covered unless you have the extra health insurance on it. But carrying a passenger will not void your insurance.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Michigan I have Progressive (Basic Liability, I know but the ~$3600 I've saved over 2 years not having full coverage can go towards a new bike if I wreck), and I pay an extra $10-$15 a year for coverage for any passengers.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
Mine covers pillions, but only because I was asked the question. I assume that unless you ask, or are asked, for it then it's excluded. I'm going to plug MCE for insurance at this point since my insurance went down £50 this year :thumbup:

racerws

Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Some places in the US the actual "Liability Coverage" covers your passenger
if you are Liable (at fault) in an accident and they get hurt.
It would not cover the passenger however if the other party were at fault.
The other party's insurance would be responsible for that, if they have
any insurance at all. If not it would have to be an "Uninsured/Underinsured
Motorist" claim. That is how it works in Texas.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine covers pillions, but only because I was asked the question. I assume that unless you ask, or are asked, for it then it's excluded. I'm going to plug MCE for insurance at this point since my insurance went down £50 this year :thumbup:

My insurance is going to go up very soon as I just got my second speeding ticket. :( I have pillion coverage but rarely used it on my last bike and haven't yet on this one. Usually it's just an option when you sign up.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
I would hope never to use it, merely to have it in case I use it. I suppose that's the point really - I very rarely have a pillion, just those times I do it makes it worth it just in case the worst happens.

Usually if there's any way an insurance company can get out of paying anything at all then they will.

Gilo-FZ6

Riding the Big Honda
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
fortunatly my insurance covers pillions..i never even thought about it before reading this thread..i also realised im covered on other bikes too...which means the father in laws TDM 850 is getting a hammering this weekend

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'vebeen asked if I wanted it but there there was no extra charge so I took it just in case but very rarely use it.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
fortunatly my insurance covers pillions..i never even thought about it before reading this thread..i also realised im covered on other bikes too...which means the father in laws TDM 850 is getting a hammering this weekend
You're probably only covered third party fire and theft on other bikes though mate. That's the way is usually works. So keep the shiny side up!

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
pillion coverage is soemthing i check everytime in case the missus ever wants to try to get on a bike. if you have a pillion its sure to invalidate your coverage in case of na accident because the insurer can say that have a pilion might have caused the accident.

at the place I stay at the company that looks after the apartments has said we should not leave anything in the public ways e.g. under the stairs coz it might invalidate their building insurance in case of a fire.

on my last bike policy i was covered for driving cages, this time around when it came up for renewal i asked for that cover and was told it had been a mistake. LOL. was mighty pi$$d of course coz my cage insurance does not cover other cars.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the option on my insurance and added pillion. Not carried a pillion recently but it may come in handy at some point.

Seems all insurance in UK is going this way, but it can save a small amount (think mine worked out £20 extra to include it). I like the ride any bike third party bit of the policy, some include it, some don't.