you guys are going to think i am motarded

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
so i have owned my fz6 for a year now and i absolutely love the bike. the only problem is i dont have the discipline to own a bike this fast and have convinced myself its going to kill me or get me arrested.

my solution is to sell the bike. i am going to buy a DR650 that has been converted to a motard with 17" wheels this week. i am sure i will still browse this forum in the future.

Last edited:

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
Very wise decision to change before it is too late.

There are hundreds of squids out there who do exactly the opposite: 'Hey an FZ6 seems pretty cool and I barely can handle it, so I'm thinking about buying an R1'.

Takes courage to do what you do my friend. Have fun with your new bike.

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site

There are hundreds of squids out there who do exactly the opposite: 'Hey an FZ6 seems pretty cool and I barely can handle it, so I'm thinking about buying an R1'.

+1 to this! Good job recognizing your situation. Trust me, you'll have just as much fun on the DR650. Perhaps later you can come back to a faster bike if you need to. If I had a DR650, though, it would fit everything I want in a bike, and hopefully you find the same!

As a thought -- have you considered getting some stock (dirt) wheels/tires for the DR? This could increase the fun factor a lot for you. Perhaps even *more* than the FZ. One of my favorite rides so far wasn't on my street bikes, but on a lowly XT225 for half a day on gravel/low maintenance roads for 100+ miles.

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
adberns, the dr650 does come with the original rims with dot knobbies. i dont know if i will use them as i also own a 94 WR250 two stroke dirt bike. its going to be a fun bike for sure. this is the text of the ad for the dr650:

This is a 2008 DR650, it has been converted to more of a Motard type bike with Excel rims(laced to stock hubs) and street tires, progressive front springs and an Eibach rear spring.
Currently Painted in a Camo/green motif with black tank
IMS 4.9 gallon tank (also includes stock stank painted green
Corbin seat
520 chain conversion with 14t 15t and 16t front sprockets included
Neoprene front fork gaters
Includes soft saddlebags
Includes luggage rack and soft bag for rack
Includes stock wheels with almost new dual sport tires
Includes tank bag
Choke relocation kit (moves choke to left side engine case)
Ceramic coated stock head pipe (coated in "dark earth" color)
FMF Powercore muffler (currently painted in High temp white)
LI-Ion 1.5 lb battery!
Low profile rear plate bracket with LED plate light
Engine scrape plates (coated in wrinkle black)
Aluminum Skid plate
Lowered foot pegs
Billet Handlebar risers with "fatbars" style handlebars
Handguards

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
You do realize getting in trouble with the law or getting killed can also be done on a DR650. It's attitude that really has to change not so much the bike.

And a DR650 is not slow and can wheelie real easy. I've ridden DR650's they are megafun, you're going to love it.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so i have owned my fz6 for a year now and i absolutely love the bike. the only problem is i dont have the discipline to own a bike this fast and have convinced myself its going to kill me or get me arrested.

my solution is to sell the bike. i am going to buy a DR650 that has been converted to a motard with 17" wheels this week. i am sure i will still browse this forum in the future.
I personally don't think you should sell it as a solution to fix your need for speed.
It's simply a strategy that doesn't work. I guarantee you that if you got a 250cc you would find yourself in exactly the same predicament. Like me its not the bikes fault you ride at the max, it's a personality adrenaline fulled kind of a thing.
I wish you luck with your new ride,

Neil

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
How about doing some advance training? This should give you a better understanding on what bikes can and can't do and hopefully give you the knowledge to tone it down when needed and still be able to enjoy the bike when you can.

Hazel

Reaction score
Visit site
well said :rockon:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't think it matters what's between your legs! Top speed is not the only death nail as you will find other ways to push the limits. I would be in trouble if the fiz had more torque as I'm sure the nose would be up more often than it is now. I.e. clutching it over ridges where the road drops is just funner with the nose up but its risk vs reward.

Rebuilt

EX Fazer still love em !
Reaction score
Visit site
I say to people here ... i may have the power, but that does`nt say i got to use it ... ok occasionaly :thumbup:

Tis the rider who controls the speed ;)

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Having a bike this fast is orgasmic isn't it?
I love it when you are already going very fast and then you hit ten grand and the world suddenly just looks like space when The Enteprise goes into warp!
Safe riding, no matter what you are aiming.

David Thompson

Reaction score
Visit site
first ride update:

she pulls harder than the fz6 at the same rpm but of course it hits the chip at about 8k when the fz6 just gets ready to haul ass. the complete lack of wind protection is annoying. i need to look into wind screens if i am going to take long trips like i did with the fz6. i had no idea how fast i was going because the speedo has not been corrected for the smaller wheels. next ride i will put my gps on the bars to figure it out. much easier to turn but with only one front brake rotor the stopping distance is greater i believe. overall i am happy with the bike.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like simple "new girl lust" to me. "OO, OO, look at that one!!! WOW!" ;)

D

Dave.TX

I know it's been 4 months since he got the DR so where are the pics?

I'm actually thinking of getting a 2nd bike (if I can afford it) and getting a DS (dual sport) but not a motard. I want to be able to ride pavement then dirt roads and such. Lots of guys around central Texas ride adventure and DS bikes, tons of off road places to ride. I'm missing out!