Question ECU mapping vendor request -

How2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello

Am hunting around for a 1st rate vendor for mapping a Gen 1 ECU.

Have used Ivan's tuning, but this is not a bike he does. Not interested in PC or add ons that I have used b4.

I don't mind going outside the US for the best vendor to do what I am looking for.
The stock headers and CAT will be retained. Not sure about mufflers. Its not an issue.

Experienced wrenches, do say,

H2

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you may be aware, the ECU has the ability to adjust individual fuel trims for each injector. On a dyno you should have no problem dialing in the bike just the way you want it, especially if you are retaining the cat. Have you made other mods that require a bit more control over fuel and perhaps timing?

How2

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello

At the level of youtube I see there are manual changes that can be made from the dash panel.

However I would like to get rid of the dead spots, trouble zones and get an earlier fan start for high heat and low air flow zones. A dyno wont address the last concern

I am not aware of other modifications at this point as the research is coming before a bike purchase in an area where this bike was never popular. If there are links for other power/ fuel considerations, I would like to see them.

Word on the CAT is that it has specific "resonance' qualities that retain low end capabilities, which I know was lost in a recent FJ09 full exhaust system recently done

The target is maximizing smoothness and control of the power character. There is no need for noise or top end power. Gaining maximum low to mid power is preferred as a priority.

thanks

H2

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So if I understand this correctly, you “need” to improve the FI to remove dead spots that you have never experienced because you haven’t ridden the bike yet?

I find that the FZ6 has excellent FI. The torque curve doesn’t have any dips, but it is a 600 so the bulk of the torque is made above 6000 rpm.

My suggestion would be to leave the FI as is until you have some personal experience with it. If you want to maximize low speed power you could alter the gearing of the final drive by dropping a tooth on the front sprocket, and if that doesn’t give you want to want you can add a tooth or three to the rear.

Lastly, your statement that the FZ6 wasn’t popular in California has me scratching my head.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Resonance difference in the FZ09 compared to the FZ6 is sort of confusing because they are different engines (I3 vs. I4) including displacement. The exhaust systems are also quite different.
The lacking of popularity of the FZ6 is interesting.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has been out of production for over a decade so the aftermarket support is minimal or nonexistent. Even when the bike was in production aftermarket support was limited. I would actually be weary of anyone that says they can tune your ECU. Your best bet is to get the bike on a dyno and have someone adjust the individual CO trims for each cylinder. This is as close to as you’re going to get.

Regarding the fan, you can alway install/modify a manual override switch. You could also experiment with an in-series resistor for the temp sensor to adjust the turn on point of the fan.