Why the FZ6 is doomed in the US...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
BUT - to be honest - have you noticed a little more attention being paid to our bike? Super Bike Mag, and another mag put their own side - by - side comparo of our bike and when they reviewed the FZ6R, they made sure to mention our bike as the step up. With recent press, it hopefully might get a revamp, but won't die.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If the Fz6 goes away, it surely will be missed. I am only 30, but I grew up around naked bikes. Growing up there were always interesting bikes in the garage/family; a Ducati Mach 1, BMW R75, Triumph 650 Bonneville, Norton Commando, some Laverda's crept in there too. My family has always been on two wheels. And all except for the BMW were naked (the BMW had a Windjammer). To me full fairings just do not look right. If I wanted total wind protection, I would drive my cage! And since in the USA the full covered sport bikes are "in", that is all you see, and for a generation, that is what was available. I still get heart palpitations when I see a old cafe racer, heck, even the new Triumph Thruxton is exotic looking! Nothing says "sport" like the minimum needed to get the job done, especially when it comes to plastics.

If the FZ6 dies, then I am glad I bought mine when I did! In fact, I do not know if I could ever part with my fizzer, I may get a bike in addition to, but never to replace. LONG LIVE THE FZ6!:rockon:

bleego

Reaction score
Visit site
BUT - to be honest - have you noticed a little more attention being paid to our bike? Super Bike Mag, and another mag put their own side - by - side comparo of our bike and when they reviewed the FZ6R, they made sure to mention our bike as the step up. With recent press, it hopefully might get a revamp, but won't die.

I have noticed the words "Get an FZ6 instead" more that the FZ6R has come out. I think its kind of like hanging around with ugly friends so you look better in comparison ;):cheer:

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The N model FZ6 are pretty popular here, and I've heard in Europe and alot of other countries too, I think its more a reflection of whats popular in America (or seen as popular) that you don't get the fully naked model, and that they seem to push fairings.

That being said I'm not fully naked like fz6joker, because I get the strangest stares, and asked why I'm not wearing protective gear/clothes!

Nakeds in general seem to be a niche market, but it also seems to be growing

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I also grew up thinking there were two types of bikes, those ancient slow,clunky Harleys or the sleek, modern, use anywhere bikes from Japan or Europe with gleaming chrome and an upright sitting position. Those plastic bikes were for wannabe racers while the real riders were on the Z1 or Triumphs, etc. It is true that plastic sells more bikes, but for me when I see someone on a naked or half fairing bike like mine, I think "oh look a real rider."

RayIan

Reaction score
Visit site
Anyway, it seems the FZ6 is finished. Here in Canada it's not in Yamaha's 2010 bike list at their website. The same at the UK Yamaha site though over there they have the XJ6 which looks quite similar.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I guess this very FZ6 Forum will soon run out of gas too. Can't imagine that forum activity is going to go up with the model going out. Oh well, it's been nice to have been a part of it at its peak. I wonder how long before it dies off?

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i think you have a little while. besides, there is a used market. and as new owners buy the used bikes some will join.

before the fz6 i was part of a forum for a bike that hasn't been made since 1983. they still get new members signing up to that forum every month.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
My new favorite Yamaha: MT-03.
Looks like the most fun bike in the lineup. So much character. I really hope this makes it here....

Yamaha_MT-03_2007_03_1024x768.jpg

yamaha-mt-03-06.jpg

Last edited:

stealthyman

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a hard time selecting the bike I wanted this time around. My last bike was a '89 Honda 750 Sabre that I really liked but sold because I had a family to raise. Now that the kids are grown, I'm riding again.

I chose the FZ6 because of the riding position and the under fender exhaust. And I wanted a water cooled 4 cylinder. Now that I have it, I'm really happy with the half fairing. It does a great job of keeping the wind off of me from the shoulders down.

Still, there's something in me that whats a better bike, but I can't find one! :)

Last edited:

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
i think you have a little while. besides, there is a used market. and as new owners buy the used bikes some will join.

before the fz6 i was part of a forum for a bike that hasn't been made since 1983. they still get new members signing up to that forum every month.

This.

Bike models come and go. But, unless it was a total disaster, they will almost always develop a following. Besides, it's our version of the FZ6 that is gone, but the FZ6 name is still around.

One of the best all around bikes ever made is history too, the VFR 800. Replaced by a funky (IMO) looking VFR 1200.

The oldest FZ6 is from 2004, so I think they will be around for quite some time.

tweak89

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like direct competition for this:

versys2.jpg

Yammy looks better, IMO, but I wouldn't hold my breath at a naked Yamaha being brought over. When talking to a couple of sales people when picking up my latest FZ I asked them about why the FZ6N was never brought over. Lack of interest is what they said. Motorcycle sales volume is nothing close to that of cars where a moderate selling car can be viable for years.

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In one word: Plastics

The more complex answer is how motorcycling is seen in the US. In many other countries motorcycles are riders only form of transportation and are seen as a necessity. In the US most riders see motorcyling at best a sport at worst a hobby. Viewing motorcycling as a sport has a connotation of a season. Viewing motorcycling as a hobby has a connotation of something to do in your spare time. Both are finite views that temper the riders expectations of what they should get out of owning and riding a motorcycle. "Since motorcycling is part time I want to get the most out of it."

Think back to when you were a kid and first saw a motorcycle. Be honest about what first attracted you to motorcycling. Was it the "freedom of the open road" or was it the way a certain motorcyle and rider looked. I am going to go out on a limb and say for most of us it was the look and only later did we learn to appreciate the way we felt when on a motorcycle. Even those who have come to appreciate all the joys motorcycling can bring to them still too often see it as a temporary thing.

So we even though we have both new riders and experienced riders buying new motorcycles in the US too many see it just their ownership experience as being temporary. How do most people view a purchase that is going to be temporary... getting the most bang for your buck. All these new buyers will have different things they value when buying a motorcycle but most have one thing in common, they want to look cool... just like that first motorcycle they saw that caught their eye.

Like most people before I knew anything about motorcycles I could identify two types of bikes: harleys and crotch rockets. What are the identifying characteristics: shiney chrome or sleek plastics. So as a new rider I easily pick the side I fall into and go out and buy the sexiest bike I can afford with one thing in my mind... I want to look cool. After sitting on a few bikes comfort or function might rear their nasty heads but remember it isn't like you are going to be riding this thing everyday. Even for a lot of previous riders how the bike looks and how you look on the bike is the strongest value when looking at a motorcycle. These riders aren't much different than the owners of sports cars that spend the majority of its time being polished with the garage door open.

Unfotunately for the FZ6 plastic sells over function in the US. I think this can be seen with the quick influx of forum members we saw when the R was released. I'll be honest even though I have come to love the look of the naked and semi naked bikes it was a process. Having come to love my bike I may never buy a fully faired bike even though that was the first type of bike to catch my eye (and sometimes I still have a affair).

Hopefully plastics won't be the death of the FZ6 but I am afraid it is. To make a horrible stereotype I think FZ6 riders and many other naked/semi naked motorcycle owners seem to have a better appreciation for motorcycling than other owners.

Other opinions always welcome

edit: I realize most people on this forum are going to say they like the FZ6s looks or looked past the athestics to the bikes function but we are a minority. I wasn't saying everyone likes a fully faired bike but that the majority of motorcycling purchasers who are looking at 'sport' bikes are going to purchase a fully faired bike and compared to them we are all a relatively small group.
Mate, That is such a nicely written piece,

It really got me thinking and reminiscing. It never occurred to me that motorcycling would be something that I might opt to do one day as a hobby.

I was very lucky to have grown up with motorcycles (my father used to drag race in the 70's and he had a few Angel friends who would mind us as he went up and down the strip. We had a fairly open house and my father’s friends were a part of our extended family. My father was a mechanic and would always have a bike from an old BMW 900 to the first Mike Hailwood Ducati replica.
My dad’s main passion was Triumph so I saw a lot more naked bikes. I guess growing up in the 70’s naked was the norm anyway. I was very fortunate to have been stuck on the back of a motorcycle from an early age and participated in my first motorcycle wheelie (as a pillion) at the age of 8 on a GSX 1100. For me it was always and still is about the feeling and exhilaration that riding on two wheels gives me. I only passed my car test 8 years ago when my wife said we need to start planning for a family.
As I became older I soon realised that I needed to be a functional rider. I fell off lots and found that body work replacement was very heavy on the wallet (just look how many guys here have gone from faired to naked after a crash) lol. I have always disliked fully faired bikes because of the extra labour involved to gain access to anything. Like you I have also had the odd roving eye to some of the more exotic fully clothed bikes out there. The FZ6 is the first bike I have ever had with a proper functional fairing. I like the looks of the bike and I love the look of the naked bikes to. I agree, in the main people view bikes / riding as a cool thing to do. A good proportion of these people also want instant gratification and visual / aural statement making impact.
Personally if the only bike I could afford to own was a Honda 50cc club I would still ride.
Thanks for writing your piece and giving me the opportunity to think about some of my fondest childhood memories.
Nelly

fz6Soldier

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like direct competition for this:

versys2.jpg

Yammy looks better, IMO, but I wouldn't hold my breath at a naked Yamaha being brought over. When talking to a couple of sales people when picking up my latest FZ I asked them about why the FZ6N was never brought over. Lack of interest is what they said. Motorcycle sales volume is nothing close to that of cars where a moderate selling car can be viable for years.

I almost got a versys before my FZ. I like both.