Why the FZ6 is doomed in the US...

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
In one word: Plastics

The more complex answer is how motorcycling is seen in the US. In many other countries motorcycles are riders only form of transportation and are seen as a necessity. In the US most riders see motorcyling at best a sport at worst a hobby. Viewing motorcycling as a sport has a connotation of a season. Viewing motorcycling as a hobby has a connotation of something to do in your spare time. Both are finite views that temper the riders expectations of what they should get out of owning and riding a motorcycle. "Since motorcycling is part time I want to get the most out of it."

Think back to when you were a kid and first saw a motorcycle. Be honest about what first attracted you to motorcycling. Was it the "freedom of the open road" or was it the way a certain motorcyle and rider looked. I am going to go out on a limb and say for most of us it was the look and only later did we learn to appreciate the way we felt when on a motorcycle. Even those who have come to appreciate all the joys motorcycling can bring to them still too often see it as a temporary thing.

So we even though we have both new riders and experienced riders buying new motorcycles in the US too many see it just their ownership experience as being temporary. How do most people view a purchase that is going to be temporary... getting the most bang for your buck. All these new buyers will have different things they value when buying a motorcycle but most have one thing in common, they want to look cool... just like that first motorcycle they saw that caught their eye.

Like most people before I knew anything about motorcycles I could identify two types of bikes: harleys and crotch rockets. What are the identifying characteristics: shiney chrome or sleek plastics. So as a new rider I easily pick the side I fall into and go out and buy the sexiest bike I can afford with one thing in my mind... I want to look cool. After sitting on a few bikes comfort or function might rear their nasty heads but remember it isn't like you are going to be riding this thing everyday. Even for a lot of previous riders how the bike looks and how you look on the bike is the strongest value when looking at a motorcycle. These riders aren't much different than the owners of sports cars that spend the majority of its time being polished with the garage door open.

Unfotunately for the FZ6 plastic sells over function in the US. I think this can be seen with the quick influx of forum members we saw when the R was released. I'll be honest even though I have come to love the look of the naked and semi naked bikes it was a process. Having come to love my bike I may never buy a fully faired bike even though that was the first type of bike to catch my eye (and sometimes I still have a affair).

Hopefully plastics won't be the death of the FZ6 but I am afraid it is. To make a horrible stereotype I think FZ6 riders and many other naked/semi naked motorcycle owners seem to have a better appreciation for motorcycling than other owners.

Other opinions always welcome

edit: I realize most people on this forum are going to say they like the FZ6s looks or looked past the athestics to the bikes function but we are a minority. I wasn't saying everyone likes a fully faired bike but that the majority of motorcycling purchasers who are looking at 'sport' bikes are going to purchase a fully faired bike and compared to them we are all a relatively small group.

Last edited:

fz6joker

Damn Hooligan
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My FZ is the only form of transportation that I have and I am fully naked. Would have bought it fully naked had it been an option.

RayIan

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm old school. I like the naked sport bike look. In fact the only bike I have right now is an old 1977 RD 400. Now there's a naked sport bike for you.
The reason I joined this forum is because I'm seriously thinking to buy a 2008 FZ6 that's sitting in the showroom of a local dealership. It actually has a little more plastic than what I would like to see. Like I said, I'm old school. I started riding in the 60's and back then fairings and windshields were kind of sissy. Times have changed.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm old school. I like the naked sport bike look. In fact the only bike I have right now is an old 1977 RD 400. Now there's a naked sport bike for you.
The reason I joined this forum is because I'm seriously thinking to buy a 2008 FZ6 that's sitting in the showroom of a local dealership. It actually has a little more plastic than what I would like to see. Like I said, I'm old school. I started riding in the 60's and back then fairings and windshields were kind of sissy. Times have changed.

:welcome: to the forum. There are plenty of naked's on the forum too if you want to get rid of the plastics. I think the bike looks great both with and without the plastics. There is an RD 400 near my in laws house that I oggle all the time. Great looking bike.

joshfz6.2008

Reaction score
Visit site
i've always prefered a motorcycle especially sport bikes with the naked look
i've only had one bike that had full fairing and still have my first bike 78 cb750 honda. i just love being able to see the bussiness end of a bike

agp

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with the OP. Nice plastics sell well in the US. I would of liked a fully faired bike but the FZ6 was the best bike for the money I was willing to spend. I'm not trying to say I regret my purchase. I like my bike. The lack of full fairings is one of the few things I would change about it.

zigzagg321

blue is fastest...
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my FZ because of what it is, not because of how it looks. The undertail exhaust really caught my eye though.

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to agree with some of what you said. Earlier this summer i was looking for my first motorcycle and i refused to consider anything with two wheels that did not have full plastics. The "non rider" looks in awe at a sportbike rider who has a fully faired bike, its the image. Everyone knows how uncomfortable the true crotch rocket is, but people still buy them to get "the look". Glad I woke up!! (I have to laugh, how many times have you been riding on a two lane in a car and pass a crotch rocket going in the other direction, and that rider makes eye contact with you to see if you're looking at him, watch the road dummy!.) Anyhow, there are those, myself included, who do want a bike for some comfortable riding, and something different to boot. I really do wish the naked bikes would take off here in the states, our selection of such is so limited right now, and we'd finally get some variety on the roads!

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had never heard of the Fazer before I saw it in the showroom. In fact my wife pointed it out to me, I was there to buy an XJR1300 (can you get more retro?)

I bought it for the looks. The underseat pipe, the half fairing, the sitting position all appealed to me. I never researched, never looked at anything else, the first time I rode one was the day I took delivery of mine.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
I think the availability of plastics for the FZ6 would allow a continuation, but as a budget bike, I really don't think it's going anywhere.

If you want plastics, go fork over the 1000 more dollars to get them. Then you can go bang on your buck all you want...I'll still ride it like I stole it.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
ps: plastics were 100% part of the reason I chose the FZ. Coming from a naked SV650, I knew how gnarly the wind turbulence is on teh freeway when traveling over 100 miles in one sitting - gets old. The FZ makes it a breeze.

I think plastics FUNCTION would outweigh just a generic good LOOKING plastic :)

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
The four points that sold me was...

1. Mostly naked with cool aluminum frame showing.

2. Under Tail Exhaust

3. 180 Rear Tire

4. Instrument cluster (simple and clean looking)

I don't like a lot of plastics and If I were to buy a new bike today it would be the naked speed triple, just don't want the racer boy look.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Yamaha full lower fairing! So I have the best of both worlds. :rockon: The US dealers need to make it an easy and affordable option from the showroom. It wasn't advertised to me at all when I bought the bike. They couldn't even show me a picture of it. The dealers only told me about it as I said I only wanted a fully-faired bike like the GSX-F 650 with an upright seating position. I almost totally eliminated the FZ6 because of the lack of lower fairing. With the fairing, I was able to compare it to the GSX-650F and it won on loads of point! There's a breakdown on my website actually.

I think that Yamaha are retards that they don't make a much bigger deal of this. And the ABS option. They should have a range of bikes with different prices available right out of the showroom. They should offer the bike with or without:-
  • lower fairing
  • ABS
  • Yamaha luggage
  • Comfort/lowered seat

Bigger dealers should have these in stock to look at/try and they should at least have pictures and details on-hand in a catalogue. This would make the FZ6 sell even more. At the very least, I would have in every showroom, standing next to a normal FZ6, one with the lower fairing. It would be harder to pay less money for the normal version once you've seen it next to the faired version! :ban:

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Think back to when you were a kid and first saw a motorcycle. Be honest about what first attracted you to motorcycling. Was it the "freedom of the open road" or was it the way a certain motorcyle and rider looked.

First, I do not disagree with you. I've been lamenting the death of the 'standard' bike for years now. There are very few upright seating position bikes without all the pizazz plastic. It used to be that Cruisers and Sport bikes were the specialty niche.

But as far as what appealed to me the first time I wanted to ride? I would honestly have to say 'Open Road' I was a very little kid on his first bicycle and every time I saw a motorcycle my thought was "I could ride for ever on that!" I come from a time when proper parenting meant that you had to be outside on a nice day and home before the street light came on. Other than that 'Don't go to far' was a very broad statement. I look at the places I went on my bike in second grade and shake my head in wonder. We were free as kids.

Last edited:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
I have to say that I went after function, not form.

The FZ6 has:
1. Tubular bars that let me alter my riding position without breaking the bank.
2. An exhaust system that made it easy to fit aftermarket hard bags.
2a. Available aftermarket hard bags.
3. An exposed engine for ease of maintainance.
4. An effective fairing.
5. Five gallons of fuel for 200 miles of range. (It's slighty less, actually, but I went by the sales literature which said 5.1)
6. Enough sportbike DNA to keep me from getting bored with the bike.

The undertail exhaust and cat eyes do look good, but they weren't selling points.

Fahren

Reaction score
Visit site
Well i never really gave it much thought i.e. faired or naked...what attracted me to bikes was the freedom and the feeling or feedback u get from riding a bike....in a car i fall into a semi sleep type condition aware but uniterested on a bike im watching everything anticipating every over road users moves..smiling as i easily pass x amount of cars in one twist of the throttle...yes its crappy when the cold weather sets in and ur leathers a soaking wet but then i was never a fair weather biker...its fun and id choose a bike over my car anyday...and thinking about it, i do like the look you know the whole bad ass biker leathers etc over here peeps still see u as someone not to mess with ( some dont though lol) as for faired v unfaired id go either way i had a choice between an N2 RD350 YPVS (unfaired) and the new F1 350 YPVS fully faired i chose the N2 it looked far better...streetfighter look!!

But i do like fully faired bikes as well, the weather being what it is over here a full fairing helps keep some of the wind n rain at bay!

if ur hauling the groceries or luggage then use a car if ur just travelling from A to B then do it on a bike and enjoy every smile sorry mile;)

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
great post.

I must say though that I am naked and love it.

My bike has a fairing on it tho :)D) and eventually I will be putting a full fairing on it. Fully faired or fully naked is ideal. But over the past few years the semi-faired FZ has really grown on me. Sometimes I think I will hate having that great open-engine look covered up with a fairing. Other times I cant wait for it.

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
With only 400 miles logged on my '09, I decided to commute to a job-site 80 miles away this morning. It confirmed every consideration when purchasing the FZ6. It was fast, comfortable, and steady on the free-way. If only test drives were encouraged at the dealerships, the FZ6 would surely live on in the US. At my particular dealership, I was initially told that a test drive would be available after the money is on the table. That attitude toned down a bit as sales slumped. For those of you browsing this forum while considering a new bike... you can't go wrong. Long live the Fizzy!!!!

Pelicanglider

Citizen of Creola
Reaction score
Visit site
I believe now would be the perfect time for Yamaha to update the FZ6. Here is my "would be" wish list:

1. Inverted, adjustable R6 front fork
2. Rebound adjustable rear shock
3. ABS (already available in the non-USA world)
4. I guess that's it. I really can't think of anything else. Maybe the "cross plane" crank?

Look at what other manufacturers are doing. Triumph has the Street Triple and judging from the magazines, their most popular model at the moment. The Suzuki Gladius - new in 2009. Kawasaki's Ninja 650 - new in '07. Yamaha was way ahead of the curve in 2004 when they introduced the FZ6. Naked bikes are hot again. Ducati just introduced the Street Fighter. This month's Cycle World has the "Not for US" CB1000R on the cover, a naked version of the CBR1000 which US dealers might get as a 2011 model. Harley-Davidson, for crying out loud, set the world rocking back on it's heels with the XR1200! The iron is hot and Yamaha should strike with an updated FZ6. The only reason I wouldn't want Yamaha to do this is I would be compelled to trade my FZ6 in for the new one!

As it is, it's one of the most technically advanced bikes in it's class. I still marvel at the aluminum chassis, the weight centralizing gearbox position, that wonderful 180/55 rear tire, the underseat exhaust, the big, sexy gas tank, the amazing brakes (even without ABS), the functional fairing, the different aftermarket parts available, ease of service for the DIY guys like me...whew, I need to catch my breath. It's got "the look" that only a few machines have, like the P-51. When I first saw pictures in 2004 of the FZ6 at the European intro, my eyes said that's the right look, the right proportions, the right symmetry and guess what, it had the performance to back it up! I like looking at this bike as much as I enjoy riding it!

Last edited: