What gear do you wear all the time

What gear do you use on a short or long ride?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cashcrzzy

Meandering Member
Reaction score
www.fz6-forum.com
If its cold out helmet ,gloves ,carhart jacket. to keep me warm.

Warm out sun glasses .

I dont ride to crash .I think guys who get all armored out are taking too many chances and know they are going to crash . I think you are the ones that are splitting lanes and passing slow cagers when ever you can .

Please dont bash me this is just my way . and you will ruin this thread !!!
Thanks
Greg A.

Alterin

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm another my option isn't up there. I always wear my helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. I always wear at least jeans. Sometimes, I'll wear the pants.. always when going to work in the winter and it's 30 degrees when I get off work. :p

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont ride to crash .I think guys who get all armored out are taking too many chances and know they are going to crash . I think you are the ones that are splitting lanes and passing slow cagers when ever you can .

Thanks
Greg A.

I over-heard a seasoned rider one day...

"There are 2 types of riders in this world... Those that HAVE dropped their bike.... And those that WILL drop their bike"

Not bashing you for your opinion, just stating facts. The way cagers treat motor-cyclist's... it's almost a certainty it will happen at one stage or another.

:)

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I like to ride nekkid. Oh! The gear...lol.

The lot. I used to be a :squid:. Shorts tank top and maybe something on my feet if it was too hot to put my feet down.

Just recently I got to test out my mesh jacket and draggin jeans. Wasn't my fault and I was lucky to just to dodge the car in time. There was no escape. was going to hit or be hit by something. This was the minimum standard of gear for me.

You can't control what cager's do. You can keep your bike A1, ride safe, be aware and gear up. I like to give myself every chance I can to walk away from a crash.

Cheers
Mike

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site

"There are 2 types of riders in this world... Those that HAVE dropped their bike.... And those that WILL drop their bike"

Not bashing you for your opinion, just stating facts. The way cagers treat motor-cyclist's... it's almost a certainty it will happen at one stage or another.

that is very true for anyrider at some point you will go down I'm not gettting down on this very intresting tread but its the truth even if you drop your bike in a parking lot going 5 mph or get hit by a car it will happen all you can do it be ready for it to happen . I for one always have gear on it may not be cheap to by it all but it may save your life some day

Something else that I have picked up from a couple of older riders is I don't like to ride with stuff in my pockets ya know the inside jacked pockets that are so easy to put stuff in . I have heard storys of riders down and the next morning they wake up with large bruses the same shape of their cellphone or wallet

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site

I've heard that countless times also.

I thought I would go forever without wrecking, but it happened. Now people say I'm the "OTHER" type of biker, the type who's crashed.

Crashing will change you. Most people learn from it and become better riders, some use it as an excuse to never ride again.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
that is very true for anyrider at some point you will go down I'm not gettting down on this very intresting tread but its the truth even if you drop your bike in a parking lot going 5 mph or get hit by a car it will happen all you can do it be ready for it to happen . I for one always have gear on it may not be cheap to by it all but it may save your life some day

Something else that I have picked up from a couple of older riders is I don't like to ride with stuff in my pockets ya know the inside jacked pockets that are so easy to put stuff in . I have heard storys of riders down and the next morning they wake up with large bruses the same shape of their cellphone or wallet

I rode with my cellphone in my jeans pocket, in a metal case. Fortunately it didn't hurt my fat leg, but the pegs on the case ripped through my jeans and grinded against the ground. Cell phone was unharmed.

My worst bruise came from my inner thigh getting pinched up against the seat by the tank. Having a huge purple bruise by your pelvic area is embarrassing.

Stumbles06

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Very true. A rider here on the Forum (sorry, can't remember who) had an off just recently, and had a set of keys in his back pocket... they ended up stabbed into his butt cheek.

Don't ride with anything in your pockets. :thumbup:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Very true. A rider here on the Forum (sorry, can't remember who) had an off just recently, and had a set of keys in his back pocket... they ended up stabbed into his butt cheek.

Don't ride with anything in your pockets. :thumbup:

LOL...no choice. I live on my bike. Most of the stuff goes in the bag though.:D

OZXJR

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with not putting anything in your pockets.I knew a guy from a small town in Tassie who rode down to the bottle shop to by some stubbies of beer.He didn't have a bag so he put them in the pockets of his wet weather gear,on the way home he got hit by a car and the bottle in his chest pocket broke and pierced his heart .He only had to travel about 2 km's !

Raid The Revenge

Reaction score
Visit site
I saw a dude on a beautiful BMW motorcycle, going for a ride with his girlfriend on the back. They both were wearing the following:

140.jpg
tie-dye_t-shirts_75.jpg

three-stones-engagement-ring.jpg

OldNavyShorts.jpg
gala_short_helmet_ca.jpg

They were heading toward an intersection, the light was green.

There was a car attempting to turn in front of them.

At the last minute, the car saw the riders and hit his brakes. Although the motorcycle riders would've been totally fine if they went straight; they were caught off guard by the car. Therefore, the motorcycle driver panicked and hit his brakes while turning, causing a low speed low-side.

It was really bad. Oh man...it was bad. It looked like this:

ground-beef-3.jpg

Last edited:

Oscar54

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I answered everything when I ride. But of course this is never 100%. Sometimes I were regular pants or jeans for short trips, but that is the extent of the variance.

I have a Harley friend, and he did a face plant without a helmet on a ride around the block to run the bike after sitting for a while. He was doing a U'y and hit some sand and it noses out on him. Broke his nose, etc. But he's OK now.

Unfortunately, I don't think he learned a lesson.

A true Harley rider, I guess.

bard

Secret Soi Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I always use helmet, jacket, gloves and boots. Normally ankle boots, but denims. I put the helmet, and stuff in my top box and comfertably walk around.

On a tour I might add up with a mesh pant.

If the weather permits (not boiling) I'm in full leather and race boots, same as when I'm on the track.

Have happened I rode with only helmet, gloves and boots with t-shirt and denims but it's rare and I don't like it much, so that is to the shop and back only.

Cheers Bard

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with not putting anything in your pockets.I knew a guy from a small town in Tassie who rode down to the bottle shop to by some stubbies of beer.He didn't have a bag so he put them in the pockets of his wet weather gear,on the way home he got hit by a car and the bottle in his chest pocket broke and pierced his heart .He only had to travel about 2 km's !

Holy sh*t Oz!! That's a gnarly story right there!

I wear everything all the time ... almost. There are VERY rare occasions where I will wear jeans only instead of jeans + overpants, or leather pants. And there are other rare occasions where I will wear over the ankle hiking boots instead of race boots, but again it's VERY rare.

After my lowside (I was wearing full leathers), I realized how truly awful it would be to crash at any speed, in any conditions, without being fully armored up.

And to the fellow who said that some people dress for the crash, I have to respectfully disagree. Sure, some of these clowns we've all seen dressed up and down in full leathers to go screaming through the canyons might live up to the scenario you are suggesting; I would posit that most people who go ATGATT are inherently safer, more defensive riders who are more acutely aware of the dangers of motorcycling and are not outriding their ability because they wore all of their gear. Just my two cents!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
If I am going on a ride (meaning spending the day on the bike) I`ll wear all my gear, including helmet, leather jacket, gloves, pants, and back protector.

If I am jumping on the bike to go run an errand, I'll only wear the jacket, helmet and gloves (with levis and pumas).

I never get on the bike with anything less than helmet, jacket and gloves.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
If its cold out helmet ,gloves ,carhart jacket. to keep me warm.

Warm out sun glasses .

Thanks
Greg A.

I am shocked that no-one else picked up on this post... If I understand your post, you don't wear ANY gear when it's warm out, because you don't plan to crash right? Is that really how you think?

Let me ask you a few questions:

- when I strap my baby girl in her car seat, should I just not do it because I don't plan on crashing that day?

- why do fighter pilots wear a parachute? are they planning on destroy their Aircraft everytime they go out?

- Do you have frame slider on your bike? why? do you plan on laying it down???

I am sure you got my point... we don't wear gear because "we know we're going to crash", that's ridiculous... we wear gear because we understand that we are not in control of every variable in our environment and sh*t happens... If you think you are immune to accidents, I believe you are making a big mistake.

Last edited:

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Leather jacket with all armor, full-face, tough gloves, thick denim.
My first and only fall happened in the above mentioned gear, highsided. My shoes flew off and I got a pretty nice scrape (no rash) on my thigh. Other than that, I was fine. Now I'm not saying that is enough, I was just lucky that time. I do plan on getting more gear.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
Always a helmet and gloves. I try to wear my padded jacket all the time, but it's more inclined to colder weather. What I'm in need of is a good pair of shoes/boots. Any ideas on on a good pair and where to get them?
Cheers