Those Using The Ram Mount

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I just received my ram mount, I ordered the standard size but it seems long maybe I should have gotten the shorter model. Sitting on the bike though I won't have to stain to see it. What length mounts have others used? Now that I think about it I didn't have my tank bag on so it should be fine. I know no pics but I just held it in place. I'll be sure to take pictures when I get it mounted.

gearheadstu

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the standard size mount as well, and thought at first that it felt too long.

I mounted mine between the risers, nearly flush against the throttle-side riser. I have the arm craned to the left, maybe 20 degrees from horizontal. That keeps it low and out of the way.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm pretty sure I've got the short mount as well. In these pics, I've got it mounted on the right side of the handlebars, but I've also got a ball mount on the left side (not pictured) so I can put it on either side. I find, though, that I tend to use it more on the left than the right.

As you see, I usually angle it towards me too, so it doesn't sit so high.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I clamped the RAM bracket to the right of the right side handlebar clamp, with the extension bar turned left and horizontal, so my GPS sits central:-

PowerOutlet2.jpg

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Ram mounts are awesome! I use one on my dualsport for my GPS 60mph on washboard desert roads and it is rock solid.

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
I have my RAM mount on the left side of the bars, right around the bend pointing up at around 45 degrees. On the right side of my bars, my brother mounted a Powerlet 12V power port. He had to remove my bars to get that on. Getting the correct cable to go from the Zumi 550 to the Powerlet was a bit of a trial, though. Got a couple of wrong ones before we finally got the right one. But it's sweet to just be able to plug the Zumi into the nearby socket. I'll try and post pics tomorrow...the lighting in my garage is too dim for pictures at night.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been thinking about getting one for my tomtom but I want it to sit low and center, because my handlebars hit my fairing at full lock and I don't want my GPS way out there, and I fear the GPS will be destroyed/aid in destorying my fairing in the event of an accident.

crabby117

Reaction score
Visit site
Took pictures w/ my phone's camera, so they're not great. But you get the idea.

As for the size of the RAM mount, I'm not sure. It came with the Zumo. The power cord from the Zumo to the Powerlet is about 18" and I wrap it around the bars.

Last edited:

mkjeld76

USCG Retired
Reaction score
Visit site
Bored today so I tried different positions and found the ram mount is just right had to think out of the box if you know what I mean. Still waiting for my powerlet accessories so I don't have it wired up yet. I also have a Mix-It that I'll keep in the tank bag along with an Ipod. Getting ready for the warmer weather :D

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics folks!

I just installed a Zumo 450. I mounted it to the middle of the handlebars (when I put on new risers I took off the Yamaha plate on the middle, so I can secure stuff there now). With the short ram mount that comes with the Zumo I can easily see the GPS screen and read the speedo.

I soldered the Garmin cable to an SAE plug and ran it back under the seat to where I already have an SAE plug (which runs back to the battery). That way I can easily lift the seat to plug in a battery tender, tire compressor, or GPS.

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I use a standard length RAM for my TomTom.
I have mounted it in the centre piece of the handle bar, next to the left bar mount.
Normally I have the middle piece of the RAM going parallel with the handlebar, and when I use my tank bag, I simply raise the RAM mount so it's visible and still as low as possible.
The bike is a the dealer for a service right now, so no pics, sorry.