rotors from china...

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
if at all possible I avoid buying anything from China, but it's getting difficult
to do so...I don't think they have the concept of QC down yet and I would
be extra leery where an essential safety part is concerned

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would be dubious, unless you could find some creditable reviews on what could very well be a cheap knock off, that is made of inferior materials...or not?

They look exactly the same as the Galfers, and the Braking Wave Discs...

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
I lived in China for quite a few years and what you will often find is that the factories are run to standard during the day for big manufacturers, but at night and when its not running they run through batches of extremely cheap versions, or they sell the testers which can't be sold for various reasons such as flaws or quality issues by the actual company.
As the other posts have stated, your taking a risk buying from China, and your brakes are pretty important!

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
I'm in the 'bad idea' camp as well. Rotors are already fairly thin, and the lightest warpage will cause all sorts of issues with how well the brakes work. Runout that you cannot see with the naked eye will make it impossible to bleed the brakes properly, as an example.

Cheap material, or stuff that is rejected by the OEM paying for the manufacturing to be done in China.... any way you look at that, it means problems with your brakes.

If you are saving enough to make it worth trying.... then you can hang onto your OEM rotors and install, if there is an issue.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Brakes and tires are too important to a motorcycle to "save" a few dollars. As Kriswithak said they will run a night shift to make black market stuff and not do the QA/QC on them.

If you want Galfers save your pennies and get the real thing, or better yet stick with OEM.

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I heard about these rotors before. They are made of crushed graham crackers that are put in a 2-ton press then the machining and painting happens. The bonus is that you can eat them afterwards.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
They probably are, but Yamaha has to have stringest quality testing and standards to make sure their products meet the requirements that would be considered acceptable for a motorcycle.
Even if they cost cut you are safe in assuming your not going to die in a horrible brake failure accident caused by cheap rotors because Yamaha didn't make sure the quality was there.
However if it isn't someone official, or its a reject from the line there is no accountability, and they don't have to worry about the effect their product might have.
You can't avoid buying "Made in China" anymore, you just want to make sure its the legit stuff.

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using these, and at least 15 other people i know have them also. no one has had a problem with them. In this day and age china is putting out some good stuff.

Brakes on bikes are very simple and arnt really put under a great deal of stress compared to other things on the road.

Just cause its from china doesn't mean you will die from a product failure.

i dont suppose any of you guys have the Chinese rear sets? surely they will break mid corner from poor quality.

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm using these, and at least 15 other people i know have them also. no one has had a problem with them. In this day and age china is putting out some good stuff.

Brakes on bikes are very simple and arnt really put under a great deal of stress compared to other things on the road.

Just cause its from china doesn't mean you will die from a product failure.

i dont suppose any of you guys have the Chinese rear sets? surely they will break mid corner from poor quality.

good to know. care to post some pics? :rockon: just curious, what kind of a failure can happen to rotors? wrapping and cracking? or snapping?

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
i just did a bit of searching for failure reports. couldnt find anything except a hearsay of them warping on one occasion. any rotors can warp.

the rivets might come loose after a while, but your stock ones will probably do the same after enough distance.

im still in bed but il take some pics once my housemates go to work. in 30mins

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
13746_198498352763_729237763_3048800_3391802_n.jpg

13746_198498322763_729237763_3048795_4386257_n.jpg

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
I actually am not favor on "Made In China"....
However, we can't avoid it anymore.
Almost all the daily life products were from China in these days without consumers knowing it.

As I was interested in some Dual-Sport Bike, especially Beemers,
I researched internet and found some interesting fact of couple of the BMW bikes.
One that I was looking is; BMW G650GS, very low budget entry level dual-sports bike.
And this one is Made In China (mainland)... ha ha ha. even Engine is Made In China.
No wonder why that model's price is cheaper than I expected
; but includes standard options of ABS, Heated-Grip, and so on...:eek:
Said that for competing for "Price War" with other companies; especially Made In Japan I guess.
And another bmw model is Made In Tiwan, forgot the model name.

So, we are living in Global Economy already; that we bottom consumers even didn't know about it,
while we were just enjoying the lowered price products in everyday life....:(

Last edited:

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
there's some different concepts being thrown around in this thread....

quality, nothing to do with price, it can be indicated by a manufacturer with
a solid, time-proven reputation, or a retailer with the same who can vouch
for a product and offer solutions should it prove unacceptable

value, a system of judgments where quality appears to be sufficient to
justify the price

price, self evident

these items from China come from an unknown manufaturer, and an ebay
seller in China cannot be counted on to back a product, so there is nothing
to go on but price, even the buyer in this thread who has had good luck
with what he thinks is the same product has no merit, there's no way to
know if these rotors are the same as what he bought

this represents the biggest problem with Chinese goods: no brands....
goods are bought/sold/repackaged/sold again with no record of where
they were made, sure some stuff is good, most of it is not, but they need
to stop being manufacturing whores with no concept of value and develop
some brands

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
BAD IDEA !!

Take a look at this article from Popular Mechanics:
Light vs Heavy Brake Rotors - Are Lightweight Car Brakes Legal? - Popular Mechanics

Q: I needed new disc brakes for my car, but the repair shop wanted so much money for the parts alone, I went to the auto parts store up the street and bought them myself. But when I showed up at the shop to have them do the installation, the manager took one look and refused to install the brakes. He said they were poor “offshore knockoffs,” and likely to kill me and my family. I was a little annoyed—until we both calmed down and he showed me the difference in the parts. The ones I bought were much lighter, because the metal was thinner at almost every spot. So I took them back. The parts-store clerk said these were special “lightweight” brakes, and would actually help me save gas. They wouldn’t refund my money, but would let me swap them for a different set identical to the ones the brake shop wanted to install, right down to the brand on the box—and they wound up costing me more than the brake shop would have charged me in the first place. Is it legal to sell these lightweight brakes?

A:
Legal, yes. As to their being lightweight, they certainly are. A good idea? Probably not. There are increasing numbers of these offshore, low-quality brake discs showing up on shelves lately. They use less cast iron and have thinner flanges and fewer, thinner cooling vanes then the OEM equivalents. Brakes transform the kinetic energy in your vehicle to heat. It takes mass, in the form of that cast iron, to capture the heat, and then surface area to dissipate the heat to the air. Less mass equals poorer brake performance in high-speed stops. Fewer vanes equals poorer performance in sequential stops or on long downhill grades. In both cases, that’s bad, dude. The failure mode here is when the friction material gets hot enough to boil, forcing the pad surface to float above the iron discs on a grounds-effect cushion of vaporized binder, leaving you with a spongy pedal and no braking power. Extreme cases of overheating can boil the brake fluid, leaving you with no brakes until they cool.

There are a half-dozen manufacturers of brake discs in this country, and more overseas, that make discs virtually indistinguishable in quality from the ones installed on your car the day it was made. Stick to brand names, and you should be fine. Saving money on brakes somehow doesn’t sound like a good idea, especially when the difference is only 20 or 30 bucks. As for saving gas because the discs are lighter? I don’t think so.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was a youngster my dad and his cronies used to ride British bikes, Norton, BSA etc. My dads’ twin brother stuck his neck out and bought a Suzuki; all his mates laughed and said “Jap Scrap”. 40 years later, we rave about our Japanese bikes.

We are at that time of our lives that we can say “Chinese Junk”. There is a lot of inferior products being manufactured in and exported from China to the rest of the World. We in Africa are the dumping ground for “Chinese Junk”, because the First World Countries say No! I wouldn’t buy anything from China without first being able to inspect it, or as others have said, have read credible reviews.

On the flip side, Chinese products are improving all the time and In 40 years from now, we might be able to rave about our Chinese bikes.

Buying Chinese is like gambling, you may win, but the odds are you’ll loose.

Save your money and buy a local product you know, with after sales backup.

FZ6-ZN

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com

Matty, do all the 'wave' rotors use slots cut in the 'swept' area like those on your rotors?

I ask, because I was led over the years to understand that the holes in a disc do multiple things: lighten the disc, add airflow for cooling, and also help fling all the debris off the rotor face.

When the slots or hole patterns all sweep the junk on the rotor/pad interface the same way, they will remove junk from the swept area..... literally sweeping it aside (typically to the 'outside' or 'rim' edge). The inside (hub) edge of the pattern usually starts out closest to brake pads, with the slots, grooves, holes what have you progressing from there to the outer edge of the 'sweep'. Works like a windshield wiper.

I haven't paid too much attention to the aftermarket rotors.... do they frequently alternate the sweep direction like yours do?

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
wondering about the OP's desire for looking at these brakes, is it for looks?
or did you damage the brakes on that last crash?

regardless, there's more to consider with brakes than you may think, more
going on than just a spinning disk bolted to the wheel that you slow with a
caliper

brakes on a vehicle work by converting the kinetic energy of movement into
heat energy, when designing or purchasing a brake system from a vendor,
the manufacturer looks at a few things: mass, speed, coefficient of friction,
heat conduction and I'm sure some others...do you think this Chinese Co.
calculated any of these things? they look cool, and they may not fail dramatically,
but you also may not be able to stop properly when you need to :confused: