power outlet to GPS

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
hi, i installed this yuasa smartshot 900 charger. it's rated for 12v at 900mA. the harness is a SAE outlet. is it safe to run a GPS to it? i don't wanna burn a fuse or anything. thanks =)

chicagogreg

Gadget Freak
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't imagine why not. I presume the charger outlet is just a fused wire pair, hooked up directly to your battery? If so, check the label on the back side of your GPS and verify that its rating is 12V at less than/equal to 900 mA. If so, you should be good to go!

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
hi, i installed this yuasa smartshot 900 charger. it's rated for 12v at 900mA. the harness is a SAE outlet. is it safe to run a GPS to it? i don't wanna burn a fuse or anything. thanks =)

yep. totally safe. your tender lead should have anywhere from a 3A-7.5A inline fuse. The GPS will likely only use about 1A to run.

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
yep. totally safe. your tender lead should have anywhere from a 3A-7.5A inline fuse. The GPS will likely only use about 1A to run.

thanks for the info. here's the thing. the manual doesn't say anything about what fuse it uses. just says "output: 12v @ 900mA." if it's 900mA why would the fuse be 3A or more?

sry for the dump question. i don't know much about these kinds of electrical stuff.

krid80

journeyman of epic status
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.surdykeharley.com
thanks for the info. here's the thing. the manual doesn't say anything about what fuse it uses. just says "output: 12v @ 900mA." if it's 900mA why would the fuse be 3A or more?

sry for the dump question. i don't know much about these kinds of electrical stuff.

you always fuse higher than what you use so the only time you will blow the fuse is if you have a problem.