Powder Coating Rear Sets. Help Please.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I took apart most my shiny silver parts to get powder coated. I came across a problem.
The rear sets mounts are floating with little rubber diaphragms in them. These are the main bolts that mount to the bike. Meaning you cannot powder coat then bake the rubber so the powder coating can bake on the rear sets.

Can these little rubberized floating rivets be punched out and replaced?

Would appreciate it if anybody can chime in that has powder coated there rear sets.

Also there is another piece the little rod or shifter extension is a little elbow socket sheathed in rubber. How does one get the little elbow or balljoint in two pieces? All post some pics. Soon as I can get to a pc.

Last edited:

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
I had mine powdercoated black. I remember those and they are press fit into the rearset. If you use a socket, you can punch them out. I do not remember what side I punched out, but I do remember that they got "damaged", i.e. there is a little piece of metal that gets sheared. It is almost as though they have a little tab that compresses upon installation and locks them in.

Bottom line, I punched them out with a socket, had the rear sets powdercoated and pressed them back in. I have had no issues since. You'll be fine. :thumbup:

Just saw you asked about the ball joint. I just unscrewed it from the shift rod and the powdercoater said the lever with the joint on it would be fine. It was. I didn't get the threaded link arm coated, but I think it looks nice in silver to offset all the black.

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a picture of the shifting rod extension. The little ball joint elbow is rivited to the shifter pedal/lever.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
And here is a picture of the rear set mounts. These are fastened by floating rubber washers on the rearsets themselves. As you can see on the outline of the screws is where the little rubber washers in the rearsets themselves.

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is what I found so far. The little rubber washers or(Damper Footrests) are replaceable. Part#5VX-27424-00-00.

As for the other part, the shift arm extension or(shift pedal assembly) comes as is. There attached to each other, the pedal and rubber gromited little elbow. Part#20S-18110-01-00

Anybody have any experience with powder coating the shift pedal assembly?

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are the simple reasons I just painted them. There rear sets, order the part and boldly go forward! Be very careful when you punch out the old one so you support it well and not crack it. I'd put it on a piece of wood with a hole in it big enough to accept the part.

The lever - an option is to buy a new metric heim joint and drill out the existing stud. Either that or pray there is no nylon inside of it and put it in the oven (roughly 400- 500F) to cure. Assuming the joint is not destroyed, the grease will be cooked out and spread on your new part so you'll have to pump grease back into it. I'd do it like the other end and just replace it.

As for the boot, cut the old one off and replace it. I'm really surprised the don't make aluminum replacements for the shift and brake. You know, cut the ball off, slide a fancy billet jobber on there with set screws and go "BLING!"

Good Luck and have Fun!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh heim joint. Didnt come to me. Thanks I'll probably just paint the levers... Like you said.
Now, If we can just get a heim joint or ball joint.

The rear sets are done. A rubber hammer, a socket, and piece of wood with a hole drilled through it worked great.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh heim joint. Didnt come to me. Thanks I'll probably just paint the levers... Like you said.
Now, If we can just get a heim joint or ball joint.

The rear sets are done. A rubber hammer, a socket, and piece of wood with a hole drilled through it worked great.

Pictures????

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I get them back sometime this week. Told em to take there time. I got as much as I could, even bolts. Minus the engine bolts, oil cooler, and triple tree. Ceramic coating will take place at another interval when I buy the exhaust have the down pipe and and alternate pieces.

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Cool... I have been just running around since. Powder coating the rearsets, the handle bars, and buying the Corbin Seat. On the road right now let me see what I can come up with.:thumbup:

Last edited:

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is some Pics of my Powder coated stock rearsets, radiator guards, passenger footpegs, and FZ1 handlebars with top clamp. Accompanied by Progrips, CRG Mirrors.

Last edited: