Powder Coat my rear sets or buy new Ottimoto?

Mike372

Reaction score
Visit site
After numerous mods, I am final close to being complete with everything I want to do with my bike. The last thing I want done is to get rid of the silver rear sets. So my question is should I have the OEM sets powder coated or go for the Ottimoto rear sets? Some questions that will help make my mind up:

1. What is a good average price to have them powder coated?
2. The Ottimoto sets look nice. For those that have them, are they durable and how bad is the vibration problems I have read about (majority of my travel is on the interstate)?
3. If I have them powder coated, should I go semi-gloss or matte black?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mike

H8 PVMT

lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
I had my rearset powdercoated about 2.5 years ago. I believe it was around 80-100 I can't remember. It's held up pretty well so far, you can see where my heel rubs against it and I don't ride too much, maybe 4k a year. Because of the wear markes I've seen I'd suggets a matte black vs a gloss.
With that said, if I had to do it over again I'd save up and go with an aftermarket brand of rearsets. I just think they look so much better and the adjustability is a bonus. I'm still talking myself into spending the money of either the Ottimoto or Rizoma rearsets.

Thats's my .02

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
I would have to agree with H8 pavement. Get aftermarket. You can sell em if you get rid of the bike and put your stockies back on.

On alternate note. Depending on the price or if you have access to powder coating.... I went with a satin black for the rear sets and the color is a perfect match to the kick stand. They look like they rolled out of the factory that way. I wouldn't waste your time with gloss. I did gloss on the bars and tree clamp and any finger print light scratch shows...to much polishing. Satin or matte black is your friend there more poress, and more resistant to slight touch. Powder coat is not invincible, but the rougher the better.

Last edited:

visions

THAT guy
Reaction score
Visit site
if you are going to powdercoat talk to the shop, I showed them my bike and they were able to mix a semi-gloss with metallic flakes and it looks identical stock

...but i say go aftermarket :p

Last edited: