powder coating questions

mrmaldo616

ok so i got my triple trees off and my rear sets off and i have a factory by my house that will powder coat however much stuff i have for 20 bucks but i have to have all the prep work done he said the triple trees look like they have paint or a coating on them already i have some rustoleum aircraft remover will that work to take that off and will the bushings on the rearsets be ok in the oven

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
I had my rear sets and various pieces (radiator guards, brake lever, shift lever, pedals) powder coated. To the best of my knowledge the surfaces have to be stripped. I suppose there is various methods of stripping, but I believe mine were sandblasted. Its been some time since I have dug into the whole stripping process. As for the rubbers on the sleeves that hold the rear sets to the bike I removed mine. The reccomended way would probably have them pressed out and back in once powdercoated. All of the parts will be baked in an oven at the final process.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Most powdercoat shops do all the stripping (the one I was dealing with sand blasted). If you clean it and there's still oil/crap on the surface, not visable, the final finish won't be right...

Their heating the item above 300 degree's (to my knowledge) so keep that in mind, you don't want to leave an seals, etc that may melt...

Critical openings/holes should be closed off or the powder if applied there will build it up and make the hole smaller. Check with the powdercoat guy and see what he suggests to keep the coating out with..

Last edited:

Vust123

I own a powder coating company, you need to get the bushings and rearsets out for sure, those will be damaged in the oven. Normal powder coating is at 385 degrees and that temp will hurt them. I would see if you could get them bead blasted, rustolem aircraft remover will work up to a point, the best thing would be bead blast it then go over everything with the remover.

mrmaldo616

i got all the parts sandblasted the place i took it too is a factory to get powder coated and they dont do any stripping so i payed 40 to have them all sandblasted and some parts red for 20 and some parts black for 20 and they have all the plugs for the threads for me so 80 otd not bad right will post pics when done

mrmaldo616

while im waiting for my parts to come back from powder coating i painted the rearsets plates punisher logo the rearsets are gonna be red

SANGER_A2

while im waiting for my parts to come back from powder coating i painted the rearsets plates punisher logo the rearsets are gonna be red
The paint won't last long though. Mine lasted about a fortnight. I've tried baking and clear-coating. Still only lasts 2-3 weeks before rubbing off!

Vust123

The paint won't last long though. Mine lasted about a fortnight. I've tried baking and clear-coating. Still only lasts 2-3 weeks before rubbing off!

I dont know what kind of powder coating you were using but it must be bad powder coating because all the powder coating I have done for dirtbikes which take one heck of a beating, just doesn't “rub” off.

SANGER_A2

I dont know what kind of powder coating you were using but it must be bad powder coating because all the powder coating I have done for dirtbikes which take one heck of a beating, just doesn't “rub” off.

PAINT!!! He PAINTED the heel plates and powder-coated the rest.

mrmaldo616

ya i did paint and clear coated the heel plate and everything else is powder coated i guess will see what happens if it does rub off ill just take them and get the heel plates powder coated too

Vust123

Ooo sorry read the wrong. Yeah paint will rub off, if you want detail powder coating, I can do detail powder coating projects.

SANGER_A2

Ooo sorry read the wrong. Yeah paint will rub off, if you want detail powder coating, I can do detail powder coating projects.
Would you do a 2-tone job by masking off an area, powder coat it, then mask off that and powder coat the rest? Must be quite fiddly!

Vust123

Yeah we use high temp tape and mask off the first color then we will mask off the part that was coated and powder coat that, we have done valve covers on cars that people want like the word camaro a different color from the valve cover its self.