NorCal/SoCal ride 2011

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Yup, I remember that corner very well. :thumbup:

That corner sticks out for me too because as I was coming into the corner, I could see that it looked like it was a brand new piece of guard rail. It was soooo shiny and new....like it was beat up so bad from crashes that they have to replace it every few months.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Did about 1,300 or 1,400 miles, not sure as I don't have access to my bike right now. Loved the whole thing. Some great people to ride with...really enjoyed hanging out with everyone.

First section of dirt I hit just south of 198 near Parkfield. It's a great goat trail with excellent views that turns into a dirt road in the middle for about 4 miles.
5952322785_3c1e54b515_b.jpg

Where I had lunch on Soda Lake Road....made some time on the straight stretches
5952327725_81c5f12b7f_b.jpg

Soda Lake
5952889866_6e410c5fdf_b.jpg

Soda Lake turned to dirt and remained that way for about 25 miles. It was such a smooth dirt road that I was able to cruise at 65 mph. The south end turned back to pavement and twisted through the hills before hitting 166
5952896020_dd305caae8_b.jpg

Group shot from Saturday
5952908780_48ffbf42c9_b.jpg

Sunday was great too. I enjoyed 58 (it was the latter part of 33 to 166 to 33 that was boring (I avoided it on the way down by taking Soda Lake Rd.)...but the views were "interesting"). I loved 229 again...I could ride that all day...talk about technical but flowing...freaking roller coaster.

By the time we got to Hollister I had cords showing on my rear tire (thanks for noticing, Lefty). At that point I had 100 miles to home if I took the highway and about 120 if I mixed in some twisties. I decided to go for the twisty route so as to use more of the sides of the tires (took 9 to 35). I tried to stay light on the throttle when in a straight line as I sorta limped home. BUT, while stopped at Alices restaurant (corner of 35 and 84) I got the message from my wife. I donned my gear as fast as I could and tore out of there...rode as fast as I could passing many cars, hauling on the freeway, and chopping up the city traffic until I arrived at the hospital (about 40 miles).

I'll post pics of the tire once I get a chance to take a picture of it (one of my friends moved it to another location for me).

Lefty....I thought you were going to follow me around Hollister. I looked back and you were going straight. I'm guessing your way was faster.

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
Nate, congrats on the new baby

I would like to say thank you to all you fellow riders that made this trip amazing. I enjoyed every bit of it hope to do it again sometime in the future :rockon:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nate, congrats on the new baby

I would like to say thank you to all you fellow riders that made this trip amazing. I enjoyed every bit of it hope to do it again sometime in the future :rockon:

We're glad to have you as a friend and great rider. Now you have to go on all the rides with us! :D

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's some video from Angeles Crest HWY. Beautiful! You have to turn your sound down or off because of the horrible audio quality - sorry. You get to make your own soundtrack though!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L0pOzxxvf8"]‪ACH 071611‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

I also have video from HWY 33 and HWY 229 (Rossi's Driveway) that I will edit and add in the next couple of days.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome Kenny!

Where are all the other videos???

Between an INXS concert last night and bottling beer tonight, I haven't had time. I know, that's no excuse :spank:

I still have HWY 33 and HWY 229 to do, and although I am horrible at soundracks I want to add them. Any song suggestions from you guys? If not, you're going to get "Home Again" from Oingo Boingo, and "Love Rollercoaster" by Red Hot Chili Peppers (yes I know their version was a cover).

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
INXS still exists?? That's cool! How was it? :)

Yep, they hired a new lead singer a couple of years ago and have been touring. They are awesome, great to see finally! If you think seeing INXS is a trip, listen to this: Berlin opened for them!! Yep, they still exist too. Well, Terri Nunn and some guys who know how to play Berlin songs...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Travis! That looks like a really fun road. I'm ready to ride again!

racebrooks

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice work Travis. Music wasn't too bad either.

The first time that I rode 229, I was at the top of the run, my Ipod started to play Led Zepplin's Rock and Roll. The drumbeat set the tone for me as released the clutch.

About 30 seconds in to the road, a vintage Porsche club, with about 100 members, were coming up the road. They were trying to go as fast as I was in the opposite direction. It was crazy.

By the time I stopped at the bottom, they were still more cars coming up. All 6 of us in our group stopped and watched the cars finish and then we rode it two more times by ourselves.

Your video showed how intense it can be.