• You went by looks

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Just Random Luck

Votes: 33 21.3%
  • Had the right price range

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Did a google search on best bikes for a beginner. The FZ 6 had good feed back and I liked the tucked away tail pipes.

After that Craigslist

had been toying with the idea for several years, but my wife kept talking me out of a bike. although i was focused on the honda 919, i was still looking at others. then i saw the fz in person and the search was over. found 1 new for $5800 purchased on the spot. oops wife didn't know, brought it home in the truck .....she was not to happy

I wanted something to replace my old Maxim.

Here was the list of requirements that I wanted from a bike:
- Ease of maintenance (i.e. centerstand)
- comfort
- fuel injection
- adequate power & torque
- fuel efficient
- A bike that I would own for a long long time (or at least I hoped I would)

The FZ6 was the only bike that matched. I looked at the Kawasaki Ninja 650, Suzuki sv650, and a couple of other older motorcycles.

I saw an orange 06 second hand and decided that was the bike for me.

Imagine my surprise when I met Wolfman and discovered that he was the one that bought the orange 06...LMAO...Good taste dude:thumbup::D.

I have another twist to this story.I actually looked at that bike when it was brand new,I would have bought it too as I had the money in hand but the deal breaker was I wanted a centre stand fitted to it and they wouldn't do it .I promptly went to another shop and bought my '05 with stuff all k's on it.

I was equally surprised when I found that Wolfman had bought it .

I have another twist to this story.I actually looked at that bike when it was brand new,I would have bought it too as I had the money in hand but the deal breaker was I wanted a centre stand fitted to it and they wouldn't do it .I promptly went to another shop and bought my '05 with stuff all k's on it.

I was equally surprised when I found that Wolfman had bought it .

And guess what...it had a centre stand when i bought it! Lol! Not there anymore though!

:thumbup:

I wanted a bike that was not a cruiser and not a crotchrocket but closer to a crotchrocket. I didn't want to be hunched over the tank and wanted an upright position.

I found the FZ6 at the dealership and said right there that this was the bike.

I found one used on ebay at a car dealer in Daytona, agreed on a price over the internet (reserve was too high), drove it, and bought it.

I love it. Best bike I've owned.

I started off looking around not knowing what i wanted to get. I went to my local Yamaha shop and looked around. I knew the lady would only allow up to 5G's so i was limited by price range already. My buddy was with me who wants to get a bike but is still paying for his 911 turbo project tapped me on the shoulder and told me to look at a bike in the corner of the room. It looked like a preying bug at first....

I sat on the bike and really liked how i could sit up. I wasn't in a missionary position (lack of a better term) as i was on some of the other sport bikes. I was looking for something in the 600cc range as well.

I then started looking at bikes on ebay and local sales. I soon realized that FZ6's are a rare bike in the fact that when bought they are kept and rarely resold. Which made it hard to find used ones (in my area). So i found one on Ebay for 5g's 06 never been dropped and had all the upgrades on it that i wanted to do initially. The guy lived in Kentucky.

I started to bid on it, emailed the guy for more pics.... and just decided to buy the bike for the buy now price. I didn't want some other none caring buyer to get my baby. Drove over with my buddy in my dad's pickup truck and drove back with the bike in the bed (i live in PA).

The bike was truly in mint condition and under 4k of miles on it. I really do believe i got a great deal.

Oh and best bike ever!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!

Last edited:
I went to the dealer to look at a Hyosung GT250R and almost bought it but felt I better bring the wife along to give her approval. I Googled Hyosung and listened to the bike on YouTube. I wasn't thrilled on how the v-twin sounded but still considered buying it. The next day I brought my wife and thankfully she didn't like the Hyosung at all. She said chances are I would regret it in about a week, especially after finding out the high speed was only 85 MPH. I guess she is right, since I've taken my FZ6 to 98 MPH to pass a car once who was cutting into my lane.

I looked at a used 2007 Suzuki Hayabusa (GSX1300R) and tried to talk my wife into letting me get it but she said absolutely not. While looking around my wife found the FZ6 next to an R6 and she fell in love with it (she said the R6 was just too much and didn't like the way it looked). She Googled the FZ6 on her cell and felt this would be something I would be happy with for several years.

The only problem I had with my FZ6 was I had to go out of town the day after I brought it home and had parked it in the shed. When I came back the battery was too dead to start the bike. I would push start it and took it out on the freeway but it wouldn't hold a charge. The guy at the service department told me I would have to leave my bike with him for a few weeks and that didn't set well with me at all, so I called the salesman to let him know I was returning the bike to him. The manager called me and said I would not have to wait since the bike is brand new. If I had returned it I probably would have bought another FZ6 or an FZ1 from a different dealer.

Although I love the FZ6 I consider it a starter bike for me since I haven't ridden for about 15 years. In a couple years I'll probably replace it with a larger bike (HD, Goldwing or similar type of cruiser). I'll probably hang on to it as a daily driver or teach my wife how to ride with it.

. oops wife didn't know, brought it home in the truck .....she was not to happy

:rof: I did the exact same thing. I had put a deposit on a Triumph Bonneville initially back in January. Then realized that the FZ6 was a lot more bike for a lot less money. I don't regret going with the FZ6 one bit.

i had to get rid of my DRZ 400 supermoto..i really loved that bike,but so did the low life scum..the final sraw was being run off the road by a pair of tw@ts who wanted it.

same day i told the dealer i wanted to get rid ..i still had 2 years outstanding finance ( @ 0%) so my options were limited..the only other bike in my budget was the FZ6 which also had a 0% loan offer from the same bank/lender..happy days..more or less a straight swap ..just added another year onto my finance deal

i didnt know anything about them but riding the shops demonstrator while they prepped mine was enough to know i made an excellent choice..still miss the drz tho

Back