• You went by looks

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Just Random Luck

Votes: 33 21.3%
  • Had the right price range

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was wandering the neighbourhood one night, caught a glimpse of something moving beside a garage...it was a bike cover blowing in the wind...I checked it out closer and saw the keys were in the ignition....pretty much sold me right there

right price, right ergos, fought between the FZ and a SV650.....asked around, did research everyone (Suzuki fanboys) said get the SV went to look at one and saw the stupid side exhaust that was big enough to muffle a M1A1 tank and went for the FZ! Have ridden a SV650 since then and do not regret my desicion even though it really came down to the size of the SV's exhaust pipe!

My brother had an R6, and I enjoyed driving it around, but for my long commutes to work and school it wasnt fun. So I just decided to look into their "turing edition" bikes, and it was a fz1 or fz6. Personally I think the 600cc was plenty enough power and I liked the looks more. So i franticly searched for months online for the best deal. I finally found a totaled, but green title 2006 Yamaha fz6 about six hours away from my house. The bike only had 800 original miles. It was listed for 1500 or best offer, so I immediate drove down and picked it up! Best thing i ever did was buy that fz6! I love it.

In April 2004, after exactly 20 years without a bike I finally got the mrs to agree to us getting one again. I was going to buy an XJR1300 but when I went to the dealer mrs spotted the Fazer and steered me towards it. I had never even seen one but I bought it, the first time I rode one was the day I picked it up! I think mine was one of the first in the country because it was a real attention getter for a the first few months.

Was looking for my first ever motorcycle. I wanted something in a 599cc - I felt anything under that I would get bored with too quickly and anything above that would get me into trouble.

I started looking on the Internet, talking to co-workers who rode and then went down to my local dealer to check what bikes they had.

When I first saw the 05 FZ6 I liked it, but wasn't a fan of how the front end looked, but I loved the dual exhaust and being able to see the engine. I like the combination of a faired bike and a naked bike. Almost the best of both worlds.

The price sure fit my budget asn was condiserbaly less than other 599cc sport bikes. The main thing that sold me was the riding position. I have a bad back and neck from a mountain biking injury so as much as I LOVE the looks of a full on sport bike, I just can't take that riding position for more than 10min. So even though my heart wanted a sport bike, i needed something more comfortable.

The FZ6 seemed to fit that bill.

I love my FZ6 and I am glad I bought it. All my other riding freinds are now on their 2nd and 3rd bikes, and I'm still on my 1st and still enjoying my FZ6!!

With all the mods that are available for the FZ6, I'm having way too much fun with my FZ to even think about getting a new bike! I also like the fact that now that I have done a lot of mods to my FZ6, I now know the bike inside and out...which is more than I can say for my other riding friends.

When I was shopping around to replace my old Yamaha Radian, the FZ6 was actually the last bike that I looked at. First I was looking around at SV650S's (both gen's), and Honda 599's. I went to go look at about five or six different bikes but they were all either crashed or the price was too high for the bike. I was kind of aware of the FZ6's existence but didn't really look into it as they barely were up for sale around Toronto at that time (early '07). By chance I stumbled upon an ad for a FZ6 which highlighted the big things for me; R6ish motor, comfortable riding position that's not cramped, fuel injected (after the Radian I was doing my best to stay away from carbs), solid build/spec/design. That particular bike was sold but a few days later I found an '06 a couple hours north of me with barely any mileage. Drove up, took it for a quick spin, and the seller delivered the bike to me the next day.

For a clean one year old bike with barely any mileage, I ended up paying about the same as I would have for a 3 year old SV with 20k km. Looking back, the FZ6 is definitely the best bike for me out of what I was looking at. It's roomier than the 599 and has FI, while being way more comfortable for touring than a SV650S. Funny how things work out

I was looking for a sportbike, but not a race bike. Checked the manufacturers websites for various bikes and saw the FZ and really liked the looks and loved the price. Of course you then google FZ6 and see what reviews you see and I was sold. Lurked around here a few months before buying the bike just to make sure this is what I wanted.

i did my research and have always been a bit curious about the FZ. Back in 05 when i bought my YZF600R i strayed from it because it wasn't quite there with what i wanted and then when they re-designed it in 07 i knew it had become MY bike... before i even owned one. I went and traded my YZF mid december when i heard of a Yamaha dealership going out of business and selling off all their new bikes really cheap.

I was in Germany for 4 months and it just so happened a good buddy of mine was over there during the same period. We were both on company business, so the corporate dime was feeding, housing and sending us to foreign countries to party and drive fast. I was already in the market to buy a new bike...but I was thinking about fuel economy and not "fun economy." Anywho...he tells me about a guy that he works with that's got 8 bikes...and how he wouldn't mind letting us ride a few for a weekend.

We get to this guys garage and I almost popped a peanut when he opened his garage. I could have stared and drooled for a good hour, but this guy went right to business sizing us up for what he thought we should ride. I'd never ridden much more than dirtbikes and cruisers, so he immediately drops me on his 06 naked FZ6. It was gorgeous and fit really well considering I'm 6' 1" and about 200lbs. My buddy gets seated on a lovely Buell that looked so sexy I didn't mind that I was always following it. After a weekend of being able to keep up with guys that have been riding sport bikes for a long time...I was sold.

Since I was in Germany I couldn't go buy one and drive it home...so I went on the internet and ended up finding my bike on Ebay, selling at a shop in Florida. Stole it for $5790, it was a 2008 with 108 miles on it. Picked it up a month later when I got home and haven't regretted a second of it. I love taking her to the mountains and leaving behind all the squids on their 1000's that then blow by me on the other side of the double yellows because they are so cool :squid:.

My '05 bike was bought on a whim. We went to the dealer to get my wife a scooter (Yamaha Vino) and while buying that, I sat on the FZ6 and thought it was a great fit. It was in 2006 and the bike was a left over they'd just assembled with zero miles. I spoke with my wife briefly and we decided to add it to the tab. So we left with the bike and scooter.

When I sold the '05 to Pondrat, I was looking at getting the new '08 Aprilia Shiver but after a test run, decided the FZ6 is a FAR better weapon, then Yamaha dropped the Cobalt Blue on the market. That was the deal sealer! I called every dealer within 100 miles and got the best possible price at the second closest dealer so I put a deposit on it and picked it up a couple weeks later.

My '05 bike was bought on a whim. We went to the dealer to get my wife a scooter (Yamaha Vino) and while buying that, I sat on the FZ6 and thought it was a great fit. It was in 2006 and the bike was a left over they'd just assembled with zero miles. I spoke with my wife briefly and we decided to add it to the tab. So we left with the bike and scooter.

When I sold the '05 to Pondrat, I was looking at getting the new '08 Aprilia Shiver but after a test run, decided the FZ6 is a FAR better weapon, then Yamaha dropped the Cobalt Blue on the market. That was the deal sealer! I called every dealer within 100 miles and got the best possible price at the second closest dealer so I put a deposit on it and picked it up a couple weeks later.

sorry to thread jack, but where did you get to test the Shiver?

In 2004 my 3 choices were between the Honda 599, Suzuki SV650, and the FZ6. I did the research and picked up the FZ. 2 years later I get plowed by a car and the bike is totaled, my dealer had a used 2006 with 800 miles on it that I got for a steal sisters friend ran the shop.:thumbup:

i was looking at dirtbikes initially to ride on the road. you know, put the headlight and indicators, etc. on it and get it licensed for street riding. i used to ride my friend's honda 200 4 stroke as much as i possibly could and wanted one of my own (bigger, that is). until i saw how much they cost! i looked at honda and kawasaki and they were running upwards of $7k. that almost quashed my dreams right there until i came across the yamaha page. their 450 was still hella expensive and was exiting the page until i accidentally came across the street bike page. and. bam. i found a 600cc street bike for less money than the dirtbikes i was looking at. i mean, here is this beautiful bike that i would have assumed was WAY more expensive than what i thought, for far less. at first i told myself i was crazy. never been on a street bike before and always swore to myself i wouldn't. until i researched it more. after about a month of looking at pictures of it and getting things together in my head, i took a trip to the bike shop. didn't have one. BUT. he said he'd have one in cobalt blue in the store tomorrow. came back the next day, instantly fell in love. sat on it for about 15 seconds before i said ok, lets do this. it was a complete no-brainer. i honestly didn't do a whole lot of shopping around, but i knew i didn't like anything else they had or had seen, and has turned out to be the greatest impulse buy i've ever made. took the course, got insurance setup, had the guy deliver it to my place, spent a few weeks in the parking lot, and eventually spread my wings and flew. been one year and 3k miles and it's my world. funny how that happens :Flash:

Last edited:
sorry to thread jack, but where did you get to test the Shiver?

Friend of my boss bought one and was kind (and trusting) enough to allow me to take a ride on it. :thumbup:

I wasn't impressed as it is very under powered for a 750cc. PLUS, the resale value of an Aprilia is horrible!!!!

Best part is, he tried my FZ6 at the same time and actually liked my bike more... kind of regrets that he spent that much but he was hell-bent to own an Italian bike.

Last edited:
At the time I was riding a Piaggio X9 Maxi-scooter which I loved, but I really wanted to get on a geared bike. I was at a dealer and they had an FZ6. I liked the look and the specs, but when I sat on it it just felt good. Similar weight to the X9, very similar front end, open and easy to service, simple and effective electronics, and only 130cc bigger.

After spending a few months researching and sitting on a number of other bikes (SV650, Ninja 650, Aprilia Shiver 750, Kawasaki ZR750S, CBR600, Triumph Street Triple, etc.) this was the bike that really stood out. I've always thought of Yamaha as one of the very best companies out there.

Amazingly, I joined this site and mentioned what I was looking for, and one of the guys here contacted me saying he had an FZ6 he was thinking about selling. Thanks to him, I now have the exact bike I was after! :Flash:

I started on a true starter bike, the Buell Blast. Those things aren't meant to last beyond 20k miles, and mine had 35k, and was starting to fall apart. It was time to sell it before it disintegrated.

I was looking to retain what I liked in that bike (upright riding position) for what was deficient in that bike (tiny fuel tank, no fuel gauge, no tach, no wind protection, inadequate acceleration). I spent endless hours reading comparos during the period of time I was trying to decide if/when I would upgrade. It was getting to the point that the research was interfering with sleep, work, and my personal life, so I decided to get something so I could put myself out of my misery.

I most seriously considered the SV650, of which I prefered the look over the FZ6. According to this forum and the SVrider forum, owners weren't as happy with the SV650 as the FZ6. I also considered the Suzuki M50, which I really liked the look of, but my inner analyst wouldn't allow me to buy something that was clearly not as "good" as a standard bike, even though there was significant draw to it for unquantifiable reasons.

I found a 1 yr old 2007 with 3k miles that would match my red saddlebags, did a 10 min 25 mph test drive, and rode it home. I had no idea what I was in for! Took a while to get used to, since it was a more aggressive position than the Blast. Have enjoyed it ever since. I too have never found a bike would be a better fit for the amount of money I'd be likely to spend - it's really a standout value. But I sure wish I could have gotten ABS...

I always wanted a sportbike, but I wanted something that was relatively cheap and easy to start out on. I researched all the entry level bikes and the FZ6 was the best reviewed, and had the best features and performance, compared to bikes like the Ninja 500, 650R, SV650, etc.

I read a lot of the SBN FZ6 forum, and watched a lot of FZ6 videos on youtube and I absolutely thought this was the bike for me.

I went to a couple local dealers looking to buy a brand new one, but then I found a used 2006 at one of the dealerships and bought it the next day.
I had never ridden before and didn't have my license yet so I couldn't test ride it, but my dad did and he said he liked it, which means a lot coming from a guy who has been riding harleys for 40 years.

We found ours by looking for gear for my wifes riding class next month we have been looking at bikes and everyone we looked at she didn't like. She walked by the FZ6 and sat on it and said this is the one. after looking at it for 3 hrs and talking price we bought it.

Every time I read the title of this thread I think....well, it was normally right where I parked it! I didn't have to look too hard ;)

I went in to the dealer to buy some parts for my dirt bike, and walked out the proud owner of an FZ6!!! I had been wanting a street bike for a long time. I had looked at a FZ1 about a month earlier, but it was out of my price range.
The dealer had a FZ6 on consignment, and the price was to good to pass up!

Back