fuel pump problems?

Wes_cf

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking a bit of help. I have an 07 fz6.(4.500miles) Do they suffer from fuel pump problems? Had the bike out for a run at the weekend.No problems. Went out to the shed tonight play with it, turned the key and the pump gave a strange noise. Now wont start. Fuel pump is getting power and earth, but making no noise at all, this to me would sugest that the pump has failed. Anyone have any experience of this????:shakehead:

Wes_cf

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep everything is working fine. Battery has full charge, engine will crank over at full starter speed with no problem. I'll just have to pull the pump apart later today and have a look.:confused:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have some pics of this area from way back..., I circled it in yellow.

attachment.php

I have to say though, that's bizzare how water crept in there and corroded everything. :eek:

Wes_cf

Reaction score
Visit site
That was great troubleshooting, glad to see you found the problem.:thumbup::thumbup:

Yea it was abit of a teaser. I was still getting 12volts to the pump with the plug to the pump disconnected.It was'nt until i connected the plug and tested the voltage that i noticed the voltage erratic and above 7 volts.(this is after i had pulled the fuel pump out of the tank a tested it) I then opened up the relay to find a big mess.Cleaned it up and thats what i found.On the hunt now for a new one.I'm just so glad it was'nt the pump.10 times the price of a relay:D:D:D:D:D

Discofrank

Reaction score
Visit site
nice workd dude

for water getting in there easy when ya wash ya bike and flood the seat area when washing it could easy get there
have seen water get into my bike and cars where it should not be...

worse if u use a high pressure cleaner....

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
hi mate, did you still get that click sound when turning the key?

the whole display on my bikes gone, speedo, rpm guage, everything. keeps saying Er_1 and Er_2. bike still worked but then i turned it off the other day after a 200mile trip, came to turn it on and now the fuel pump doesnt whine when you turn the key and it wont start. there is still the click sound from the relay though when i first turn the key. Did you get that?

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
just found the problem! some of the pins on the ecu have started to deteriorate , blasted both bits with compressed air and sprayed on some wd40, now the pump whirrs and the bikes display is working fine! should get me home, then i will go about weatherproofing it better!

yamaha dont seem to be great at making important electrical bits very waterproof... lol . now i have 200miles missed from my odometer lol, not bad :p

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
just found the problem! some of the pins on the ecu have started to deteriorate , blasted both bits with compressed air and sprayed on some wd40, now the pump whirrs and the bikes display is working fine! should get me home, then i will go about weatherproofing it better!

yamaha dont seem to be great at making important electrical bits very waterproof... lol . now i have 200miles missed from my odometer lol, not bad :p

Load the connection up with Di-lectric grease. You won't have any more problems with it...

Last edited:

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
does that allow the current to pass through it well? I screwed everything back down and then when to turn the key again but it didnt work again, so had to play around for another 30 minutes until it sucked the fuel through. this time i started it straight away, closed the shop and took it home :) ! I think the damage is already done to the pins, so will dilectic grease sort that or am i going to have to buy a new ECU cable / repair the current one?

Thanks alot
Ryan

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
does that allow the current to pass through it well? I screwed everything back down and then when to turn the key again but it didnt work again, so had to play around for another 30 minutes until it sucked the fuel through. this time i started it straight away, closed the shop and took it home :) ! I think the damage is already done to the pins, so will dilectic grease sort that or am i going to have to buy a new ECU cable / repair the current one?

Thanks alot
Ryan

If the cables/ends are already falling apart, no it won't fix that. Di-lectric grease keeps water out and the contacts from corroding. It won't short out anything. ANY electrical contact/plug I deal with (including bulb contact ends) gets treated...

The Gen I FJR had a problem with one connector under the tank corroding (water would collect there) and causing problems. I had the problem, the dealership couldn't find it. Research on a forum helped find the problem. Once the contacts were cleaned and di-lectric grease applied, that fixed it, works great. Haven't had a problem since, it's been about 4 years now

Sir Choice

Reaction score
Visit site
I'' have to look into getting hold of some of that then! Perhaps the pins are still ok, its the contacts in the female part of the connector im concerned about, but surely they wouldnt have completely erroded away in less than 2 years? Maybe they are still there, its just impossible to see it properly because theres no slack on that cable at all. dont know what i'm going to do!

I just bought a power commander a few weeks ago too, was looking forward to fitting it, guess that will have to wait !

Ryan