Fuel Grade (regular, mid-range or premium)

Fuel Grade

• Regular

Votes: 397 44.1%
  • Mid-range

Votes: 68 7.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 436 48.4%

• Total voters

P. Fisher

Reaction score
Visit site
Our common premium here in the midwest is 91 octane and that's what I use. We have 93 available, but I am not going to make a trip across town just to use it. It seems wrong to use a lower grade fuel on a machine with such tight tolerances.

drumbum

Reaction score
Visit site
When I first got the bike I put 87 in it. then finally looked at a manual and switched to premium. I don't know that i notice any difference in how it rides but it sure pops/burbles far less with the premium. The regular was always popping and burbling during de-acceleration. Don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE that sound (ever hear those insane rally 800hp cars?!? orgasmic sound), but I don't believe it was doing anything good for the engine, I wouldn't go back to regular.

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
In the summer when the temps over 85-90f I noticed that with 93 it pulls better. But in colder temps I don't see a difference.
As for burbs, it used to do with aftermarket muffler, bu with a stock one it works fine no matter what fuel.

fate

Reaction score
Visit site
We have in germany:
Normal (91 octane)
Super (95 octane)
Super plus (98 octane)

I normally use "super" which counts at premium i guess ;)

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, it's 91 octant in California and I started using it since 4 months. I know it burn a little bit hotter but cleaner gas (as I thought). Beside filling gas for motorcycle is already cheap for us so I don't mind to fill it with premium.

Another reason I use premium as I hope (maybe I'm wrong) that the gasoline burns more debris so kinda of cleaning the valve, engine.

After all, gas already is cheap for bike and ours do 45mpg ,,why don't we treat it little better gasoline? :)

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, it's a fact that most premium gas in the US has the largest amount of detergents and cleaning agents. Not saying a motor would ever have a problem with running regular, as millions of cars run on it just fine. The government mandates a minimum amount of detergents must be present in all gasoline sold in the US, so you get plenty no matter what...you just get the most with premium. Whenever I have an engine that recommends regular, i put mid-grade in it. Mid grade is just regular and premium mixed together at the pump...gas stations don't have a 3rd tank with mid grade in it...it just mixes the 87 and 91/93 to make 89. When i pick up my FZ6, i'll most likely run nothing but premium in it. 5/6 cars i've owned required premium, so it's no biggie. My current car, a charger, only needs regular, but I put mid-grade in it.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
I've started pumping mid-grade 89 gasoline last 2 weeks and getting better ride and less burbles,pops (as I last 2 months I pumped premium). I felt the bike little smoother with 89 mid grade (maybe just a feeling)..but I will continue bumping it couple more months to see how it goes!

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've started pumping mid-grade 89 gasoline last 2 weeks and getting better ride and less burbles,pops (as I last 2 months I pumped premium). I felt the bike little smoother with 89 mid grade (maybe just a feeling)..but I will continue bumping it couple more months to see how it goes!
I feel like a case study should be conducted where people ask for mid grade or premium but get regular (and charged for regular of course) and still see if they "feel" the difference to see if it's placebo or actually helpful.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel like a case study should be conducted where people ask for mid grade or premium but get regular (and charged for regular of course) and still see if they "feel" the difference to see if it's placebo or actually helpful.

Watch the ignition advance on your cage vs calculated (imposed) load and you'll see the higher octane fuels running higher values and dipping less during shifts. This helps performance and economy which is constantly under change by the ECU.

OBDII active scanners show lots of info...

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Watch the ignition advance on your cage vs calculated (imposed) load and you'll see the higher octane fuels running higher values and dipping less during shifts. This helps performance and economy which is constantly under change by the ECU.

OBDII active scanners show lots of info...
But our motorcycle's not that smart, like it doesn't have the knock sensor to intelligently take advantage of the added octane right?

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
But our motorcycle's not that smart, like it doesn't have the knock sensor to intelligently take advantage of the added octane right?
That's right. It does not have a knock sensor, but since the FSM calls for 93, it's safe to assume the engineers who set the timing from the factory set it so that no, you won't blow up your bike if you run regular, but it is definitely going to run better with a higher octane. I mean our bike is 12.5:1 compression after all. There are very few motors in cars that are close to that, and the ones that are always call for premium fuel.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

^^ TRUE!

What it comes down to is this;its not the most sophisticated ECU for engine management. It does OK, but it could do more. The addition of a knock sensor and it could advance the timing MORE when better fuel is used (increase MPG and performance) and retard it when poor fuel is encountered. From a performance aspect its lacking as it strives to maintain stoichiometric ratio with its narrow band O2 sensor (its not a race bike). Its great for fuel economy and the environment, but keeps the performance below its potential.
Sorry about the confusion.

From post 241 ^^^ back that way a page

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's right. It does not have a knock sensor, but since the FSM calls for 93, it's safe to assume the engineers who set the timing from the factory set it so that no, you won't blow up your bike if you run regular, but it is definitely going to run better with a higher octane. I mean our bike is 12.5:1 compression after all. There are very few motors in cars that are close to that, and the ones that are always call for premium fuel.
Isn't it 93 on the euro scale which equates to 86 or 87 on the american scale? I thought there was a big debate on this...

^^ TRUE!

From post 241 ^^^ back that way a page
That may have been where I learned that haha

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmmm, that would be a good point. I haven't read the FSM in a while, and I don't remember if it says RON or AKI. The U.S. uses AKI if I recall correctly, and you're right 93RON is basically 87AKI.

Last edited:

Pope Mobile

Von Skump
Reaction score
Visit site
Using plus or premium is a waste of money. The manual straight up says to use regular gas. I'm going to go with what the manufacturer says.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Using plus or premium is a waste of money. The manual straight up says to use regular gas. I'm going to go with what the manufacturer says.

I agree, but most riders justify the extra cost of premium as little as less than a $ per fillip, but I have over 100,000k miles on my bike, over time it adds up and I saved a ton of money over the life of my bike.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site

Then what's the point of synthetic motor oil? Or modifications in general?

It's important now days especially when some gas stations run up to 20% ethanol, I don't want that in any small engine. Hell, I even don't really want it in my large engines lol.

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
There is technically some benefit to running higher grade fuels even if it's not performance related... The added cleaning packages in the high grade fuel helps with carbon deposits and general surface condition of internal components (values, combustion chamber, spark plug).

Reaction score
Visit site
What's interesting is how divisive a subject this is among bikers. The general consensus is that it makes a small difference in performance cars, but is negligible in almost all bikes.

In my opinion it does make a difference though - if you choose the right type of premium fuel. It appears to me it's not all about the octane rating, it's about the refinement. In the UK Tesco offer a 99 RON fuel known as Momentum 99 but to me it didn't seem much better than any regular unleaded fuel in my YBR or my XJ-6 - it clearly has more additives going by the colour and the statistics but the performance was about the same. Didn't find much advantage with Shell V+ Power either. However, with Esso Supreme which I believe is a 98 RON fuel it absolutely does make a difference, seeming to accelerate more smoothly and be more effective earlier in the rev range of any bike I put it in. Fuel economy in terms of MPG does tend to go down but I have a feeling this is because the premium fuel gives better performance and I'm more inclined to use the throttle because it pulls so well with this type of fuel in the tank.

Since it's only an extra few pence per litre over regular unleaded, I tend to use it all the time. When I'm not near enough an Esso to top up with the premium stuff and I use any other type of fuel whether it's premium or regular it just doesn't feel quite as good when riding. People have told me it's a placebo effect but I don't believe it is.

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What's interesting is how divisive a subject this is among bikers. The general consensus is that it makes a small difference in performance cars, but is negligible in almost all bikes.

In my opinion it does make a difference though - if you choose the right type of premium fuel. It appears to me it's not all about the octane rating, it's about the refinement. In the UK Tesco offer a 99 RON fuel known as Momentum 99 but to me it didn't seem much better than any regular unleaded fuel in my YBR or my XJ-6 - it clearly has more additives going by the colour and the statistics but the performance was about the same. Didn't find much advantage with Shell V+ Power either. However, with Esso Supreme which I believe is a 98 RON fuel it absolutely does make a difference, seeming to accelerate more smoothly and be more effective earlier in the rev range of any bike I put it in. Fuel economy in terms of MPG does tend to go down but I have a feeling this is because the premium fuel gives better performance and I'm more inclined to use the throttle because it pulls so well with this type of fuel in the tank.

Since it's only an extra few pence per litre over regular unleaded, I tend to use it all the time. When I'm not near enough an Esso to top up with the premium stuff and I use any other type of fuel whether it's premium or regular it just doesn't feel quite as good when riding. People have told me it's a placebo effect but I don't believe it is.
I think placebo has alot to do with it, additional detergents aside. I bet if you were given regular once or twice unknowingly you probably wouldn't notice. You may be more critical of noise/feel when riding with anything other than "top shelf". Ya know?