Fuel Grade (regular, mid-range or premium)

Fuel Grade

• Regular

Votes: 397 44.1%
  • Mid-range

Votes: 68 7.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 436 48.4%

• Total voters

andyfazer600

Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK 95 octane is regular with 97 and above classed as premium. I have seen a garage supply a 101!!!

I tend to fill with a tank of premium every 6 months and use regular at other times

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
In the UK 95 octane is regular with 97 and above classed as premium. I have seen a garage supply a 101!!!

I tend to fill with a tank of premium every 6 months and use regular at other times

For what the UK and much of the world pays for petrol, you deserve some extra octane, but really the US & Canada use a different measurement system which results in a lower number. Typical equivalent ratings in the US: 87 for regular, 93 for premium with a bit of regional variation for altitude.

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
The first 5-10 fill ups I used premium, then switched to regular mid last summer. My bike did not explode. It was one think when premium was only .20 more a gallon, but I'm chicago it can be almost a buck more.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
You just got to hit the right gas stations, I only pay about .25 - .50 more for premium than regular. I do put 87 in the bike, but my car only takes 93.

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
By using premium i can reduce the weight in my wallet and therefore go faster

^:thumbup:
I switched to premium 2 years ago and felt a huge difference in engine smoothness in the infamous FZ6 "buzz range" between 6K and 7K rpms. My mechanical engineering mind tells me that this is likely due to the fact that higher octane is less volatile and probably ignites just a few milliseconds later than 87 octane resulting in a smoother power band...even if I'm loosing 0.5 hp.

My father is a chemical engineer for a major oil company and there is more to "Premium fuel" than the octane rating. Premium fuel's from Shell, Exxon and BP have the maximum additive package which includes detergents that keep your engine and fuel system clean...it's not just hype...Premium has significantly more cleaning agents.

Also the higher the fuel price, the better value premium become since it's always only about 25 cents/gallon higher than regular...that's only $1 per tank in the FZ6...I'm getting 55mpg commuting...I think I can afford an extra $1 per week to have a smoother, cleaner running FZ6.

Glad I read this ^.

As for me, I use Premium for the first time filling up my tank (last night). Cost me about $12 to fill it up. I haven't been riding long enough to feel a difference. But I plan on using premium just because, **** it's better, why not;]

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
^:thumbup:

Glad I read this ^.

As for me, I use Premium for the first time filling up my tank (last night). Cost me about $12 to fill it up. I haven't been riding long enough to feel a difference. But I plan on using premium just because, **** it's better, why not;]

If you use regular you may notice the engine feels much more "buzzy" when the temperature is high. I've been using 89 octane this spring with the cooler air but as it starts to hit 90F it's time to go back to 93 octane!

Kingwu

Reaction score
Visit site
If you use regular you may notice the engine feels much more "buzzy" when the temperature is high. I've been using 89 octane this spring with the cooler air but as it starts to hit 90F it's time to go back to 93 octane!

Good to know, I know this summer ima be pumpin 93 this whole summer I do get to ride :thumbup:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It ain't the revs. Its the compression ratio. At 12.2:1 it is very energetic and needs to resist preignition especially in hot weather.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I was gonna post this topic. Yes 91 octane or above. I was running 87, thinking that it doesn't make any different it's just more money and regular is owner's manual recommended so.

Actually I could feel the different. There's a slice different in terms of power. I could feel the bike pulls me easier with 91, and I feel that the bike revs faster but when I look at the clock it's not different than 87. It's like I'm on 6th gear but i feel like i'm on 5th.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't say I feel a difference from the one tank of 89 that I used, but I always use 93 octane now.

The first ever tank I put in the bike was 89 octane and I wasn't aware that the valve tick on this motor is pretty audible. I thought I was having minor knocking problems (pretty funny in hindsight). But I've been putting 93 (premium) in since then. If the octane rating doesn't make a real difference, the added cleaning agents should do at least something for the engine life.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
dont' wait your money on anything but a regular. But from what I've heard, avoid the ethanol BS as it reduces your mpg. Hard to avoid it though, it's EVERYWHERE!

Google is your friend! Here is a hot link to a site with all the 'pure' gas stations by state. I live less then 5 miles from a 93 octane pure station. So you know what I use. One reason I get such good milage when I want to.
Find your state and what ever they call the parts of Canada;
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
:welcome:

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Google is your friend! Here is a hot link to a site with all the 'pure' gas stations by state. I live less then 5 miles from a 93 octane pure station. So you know what I use. One reason I get such good milage when I want to.
Find your state and what ever they call the parts of Canada;
Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
:welcome:

No stations in Jersey:confused:

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
No stations in Jersey:confused:
You wouldn't know anyway. NJ doesn't require labeling.
By Way South Joisey, I assume you have to ride a ways before getting to PA or Dl?
BTW, has the Crips vs Cops opened up full scale hostilities yet? Crips stalking Cops means the end is neigh and the sort of thing the national media will not cover.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You wouldn't know anyway. NJ doesn't require labeling.
By Way South Joisey, I assume you have to ride a ways before getting to PA or Dl?
BTW, has the Crips vs Cops opened up full scale hostilities yet? Crips stalking Cops means the end is neigh and the sort of thing the national media will not cover.
Yeah, I'm actually in Somers Point near Atlantic city. It takes about an hour to PA, not sure what Dl is tho.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'm actually in Somers Point near Atlantic city. It takes about an hour to PA, not sure what Dl is tho.
Deleware AKA South Joisy
With all the no neck types in Joisy I figured the gas sold there is 20% water anyway. No way to get caught, 20% greater profit. With computers and fuel injection a car should run anyway. Barely.

Newell33

Reaction score
Visit site
Forgive me if I've overlooked the answer somewhere in this thread, but what octane does Yamaha actually recommend for the FZ6 with its specified compression ratio? Anything above this recommendation would be a waste of money.

Thanks,
Josh

2wheelieadv

Reaction score
Visit site
I just filled my bike for the first time this past weekend. I put regular in, and will for a month or two.. then ill switch to premium and evaluate the difference and post back here later this summer!
Any new findings on that?

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For me 95 minimum but 98 seems best for overall performance;
Once put in 91??? by mistake and it felt sluggish and lacking response- wont do it again

my iPhone post using Tapatalk - sorry for any shpillong mishtooks i has fat fingies