Brand new bike with tranny issue

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
In February I purchased a brand new 2009 leftover FZ6.
After only 500 miles I have a bad noise when in 2nd gear.
I hear a slight whine when i shift but it is most noticable when
coasting in second gear. All the other gears are quiet.
Under acceleration it is quiet and smooth but as soon as you let off the throttle
she whines bad.

Anyhow maybe some of you have heard of this. I have drpped it off at the dealer
and they tell me they will prob have to pull my engine out to fix it.
Sucks bad. I bought a brand new one so i didnt have to battle this kind of stuff.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
it may be the clutch basket....just dont rev it over 6000rpm and you should be fine for a few weeks...my friend had this same issue and the bike used to whine heavily when it was cold...when hot the whine tended to decrease but was still there.....the clutch basket went because it got hot since he used to race the bike in quarter mile contests... so if you didnt race yours maybe it was defective or its completly something else

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
it may be the clutch basket....just dont rev it over 6000rpm and you should be fine for a few weeks...my friend had this same issue and the bike used to whine heavily when it was cold...when hot the whine tended to decrease but was still there.....the clutch basket went because it got hot since he used to race the bike in quarter mile contests... so if you didnt race yours maybe it was defective or its completly something else

Nope no racing. I have been taking it easy following the break in instructions per the owners manual. Kinda scared to run it hard after the break in if she cant handle the mild work out it is getting now.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is your chain lubed and adjusted correctly? A dry chain or too tight will whine. Final assembly at both the shop at the factory sometimes is not as it should be.. :(..

You may be hearing it more in second as you don't have the wind noise...

The gear boxes are pretty stout....

Good luck in either case and please keep us posted.....

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree this sounds like a chain adjustment/lube situation. Chain may have been too tight to begin with and if you haven't lubed it it could aggravate it. Let's see what the dealer comes up with, but Yamaha transmissions are pretty good and not known for any real particular problem.

DDS

Reaction score
Visit site
big%2Bunit%2Bon%2Btoilet%2Bmotorbike.jpg

Thread highjack alert

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
The noise just showed up. It didnt make any noise the first 500 miles.
Once I heard it I checked the chain and it was pretty loose.
I was sure that was the problem so I tightened it up and it was still just as loud as before.

I get lots of looks when I pull in somewhere because it is an abnormal sound.

I dropped off the bike Monday and hopefully the dealer can start to work on it tomorrow.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
The noise just showed up. It didnt make any noise the first 500 miles.
Once I heard it I checked the chain and it was pretty loose.
I was sure that was the problem so I tightened it up and it was still just as loud as before.

I get lots of looks when I pull in somewhere because it is an abnormal sound.

I dropped off the bike Monday and hopefully the dealer can start to work on it tomorrow.

I hope they find the problem and that it's an easy (and FREE) fix for you.

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
UPDATE:

Yesterday I talked with the dealer. They took apart the cluch, put it back in to rule that out but after taking it for a ride it made the same noise.

They now have the engine out and the tranny torn down. There is no visible defect that they can find and no metal shaving in the oil pan. They are going to replace several of the gears as well as thrust washers with fingers crossed that it will fix it.
They are admittedly puzzled on this one. Dealer was hopefull that Yamaha could give them some direction that maybe this has shown up in a few bikes however Yamaha tells them this is a first.

Should have the bike back early next week so we will see what happens.

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
Still no bike. Dealer says they are waiting for parts to come from overseas.
They couldnt tell me when they will have them only that they are on order.

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Still no bike. Dealer says they are waiting for parts to come from overseas.
They couldnt tell me when they will have them only that they are on order.

That sucks. I would take the bike from the dealer (assuming they put everything back together) and go ride until the tell me the parts are in. If the parts are coming from Japan, then good luck. You know what's going on over there.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
that's a real shame they had to take it apart, I'd start pushing for a new engine

I'm 99% sure you CANNOT BUY JUST AN ENGINE from Yamaha. If anything, I'd give thema chance to fix it and if it still has problems, push for a new bike. That's what you bought, a new bike, not something rebuilt, etc....

Yamaha generally takes care of its customers, especially if their acknowledging a problem on a brand new bike...

kvanek

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 99% sure you CANNOT BUY JUST AN ENGINE from Yamaha. If anything, I'd give thema chance to fix it and if it still has problems, push for a new bike. That's what you bought, a new bike, not something rebuilt, etc....

Yamaha generally takes care of its customers, especially if their acknowledging a problem on a brand new bike...

This is my plan. I only have 550 miles on it and will push for a replacement.

macem29

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site

under a warranty claim I bet they could find an engine assembly
to install, even if it is not available retail...not trying to argue but
there aren't exactly a lot of these things left new, and who gets
stuck with the old one? the dealer sure as hell don't want it back
in inventory

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
under a warranty claim I bet they could find an engine assembly
to install, even if it is not available retail...not trying to argue but
there aren't exactly a lot of these things left new, and who gets
stuck with the old one? the dealer sure as hell don't want it back
in inventory

I wish you were right...

Any new, under warranty engines blown up under warranty are fixed, IE new cases, crankshaft, etc... What ever it needs. Throw enough money and parts at it, anything can be fixed...

Broken parts are usually sent back to the factory to check for flaws, possible design changes, etc...

I have yet to see any major Japenese manufacturers sell an entire engine... I couldn't say about BMW's, other foreign manufacturers, HD's motors I believe you can buy a new assembled angine.

That would be the way to go, but get a hold of Yamaha and see if you can buy a new entire assembled engine.

Hopefully, the mechanic doing the work knows what he's doing and doesn't forget something, pinch a seal/wire, etc...

I had a local Honda dealer (Ft Myers Florida, Honda) screw up my old 2004 Goldwing. It leaked oil after replacing the alternator bearing which requiring pulling the engine. The dealer wouldn't fix it, Honda jerked me around big time blaming the mechanic, it wasn't a honda part failure (we didn't know what part was leaking oil at the time)....

I found numerous fittings missing, the engine mount lock nut missing (and that was out in the open), the drive shaft boot NOT ATTACHED, just flopping around.

I brought it 2 hours away to another dealer and told them to just fix it.

I would just sue Honda CORP AND the local dealer. They found the problems, Honda did pick up the tab...

Yamaha, IMHO, is a lot better than Honda with any warranty issues..

Last edited: